Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelliejean67

Need ideas and inspiration to update oak kitchen

nelliejean67
9 years ago
Looking to update kitchen,the house has exposed beams-cathedral ceiling throughout . It needs to be updated but kept in keeping with house.

Comments (37)

• Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    White wash wood of walls in kitchen. Would help lighten it up.
    nelliejean67 thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    9 years ago
    Is is possible to change out the wood tone countertops to something contrasting, either light or dark. Another idea would be to paint the center island base or use a different stained wood to get it depth and difference.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    9 years ago
    Also add some ceramic tile on the back wall and break up all the wood.
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have thought of putting in new white cupboards even in wall where shelves are but wonder if it would spoil the integrity of the house. I am willing to change anything as long as I feel it goes with the style of the house.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    When you say "updated", are you thinking rip it out and start fresh, or something else?

Could you post a closeup of a cabinet -- they don't look like oak to me.
    nelliejean67 thanked PPF.
  • fissfiss
    9 years ago
    I agree with the Clay Team, the wood is beautiful. Beef up the shelves, de clutter...and if the budget allows, a new fridge. Will save you a bucket in electricity costs. I don't think there's anything wrong with your existing hardware, it's just not very exciting. If you found something you loved, it could really make you feel like you've made a big change!
    nelliejean67 thanked fissfiss
  • tennisanyone
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would replace those shelves and the little things on them with white cabinets, perhaps even a wine refrig and wine rack. It looks like you have valuable space that you are not using and I would wrap them all around. Then I would add granite just to the island. It is beautiful. It doesn't need much.
    nelliejean67 thanked tennisanyone
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Light quartz countertops and flooring will make a huge difference. Definitely pendant lighting (copper) and updated handles on cupboards and drawers. White ceramic sink and brushed copper tap. Items on back wall should be removed and updated with thicker shelving, items added that are complimentary to each other. Shevles could be painted to match countertop. If new appliances are in the budget, consider the new colored retro types.
    Kitchen Family Fare · More Info

Rivercity · More Info
    nelliejean67 thanked Maureen
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ppf. I have posted another photo you should be able to zoom in on cabinets now. My husband is ready to go for a makeover where we change floor to big light tiles. He would like to open it up a bit and replace cupboards with new ones with self closing drawers. He is wanting to bring it up to date as it is over 30yr old. I would love the functionality of self closing drawers as I am older now and they would be easier. We haven,t changed it in 30 yrs but I have loved it. Our house has too much wood I think and needs to add lightness so that the wood becomes a feature. Super modern would not go but I am considering his idea about new cupboards but am uncertain if they could be inter grated with the walls. I want to add value to the house and not spoil it.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    How has the kitchen worked for you these past 30 years? The layout with the stove in the alcove and sink on opposite side of island is unusual.
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    IV,e found it a bit awkward as the sink was put in for the last owner who was left handed ant the stove always seems to be in the wrong place. I
    think it needs changing around some how. If I put cupboards where the shelf is they would finish just under where the wall plate is now. Then above that would be timber wall with. Beams and timber cathedral ceiling ,would that blend ok? So would white cupboards there have the effect of lightening it up and blending in as well?.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    A dimensioned floor plan would really help us understand what you have to work with.

My personal preference would be to keep natural/stained cabinets and lighten the wallsand floor. I see the fireplace is a lighter material.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    I'm with The Clay Team and others about all the "little stuff" and skimpy shelves. A few carefully chosen larger, brightly colored pieces would complement the wood and make the kitchen look less cluttered. The space also seems chopped up and dark, not because of the wood (which I love) but the layout and lack of natural light. I don't know if components can be moved around, but I'd do my best to open things up and especially try to relocate the fridge to let in more light from the outdoors. I'd also try to get a fridge with softer lines … this one looks massive and blocky … and find another place of honor for the kids' photos, etc. Plus swap out the stainless sink for a large white one. What I can see of the floor looks interesting and seems to blend well with the wood, but it's hard to tell what it is without a closer look. The stove alcove would be uncomfortable for me, but it does have the advantage of keeping splatters confined to one space!
    nelliejean67 thanked makaloco
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    most of your wood is just beautiful. try to keep most of it. better lighting is very, very important, and a more efficient layout of stove, sink and fridge. again - keep as much of the wood (not painted) as possible.
    nelliejean67 thanked bgfuqua
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ppf I will see if I can get copy of floor plan for you to see I appreciate everyone giving thought to this and I am taking various options into consideration. Thanks everyone
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm having trouble uploading floor plan will try again .
    The Clay Team I liked your idea about bigger shelves and art work in centre. Can you describe how you would see the shelves, where would they start and finish and what thickness etc.
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ppf. I've managed to upload floor plan now it's pretty feint so hope you can see it. We would be prepared to take out wall where fridge is and remove seating area, but then we would need cupboards on wall where shelves are. We could also make island longer and have stools there. My main indecision is around the question of wether to have new white cupboards and a lighter look or keep ALL the timber which would mean no soft close doors. There are heaps of timber walls in this house and after 30years I would be ready to change some of them as when all interior walls are Tasmanian Oak it can be overpowering where as "less is more" in that the wood becomes a feature and stands out more if you get my drift.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Changing the cabinet color will add some contrast into the kitchen. You could also consider changing the hardware and counter top material. However, wood counter tops are unique and add something a little different to the space so I would consider changing the cabinets instead.
    nelliejean67 thanked SoCal Contractor
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Macaloco
    Thanks for your comment and input. We would be prepared to put fridge in alcove where stove one is and have one with French doors- have you seen them?
    Also we are considering putting cooktop and under bench oven on the centre of wall where shelves are now and possibly some kind of rangehood over top which would become a focal point.
    Also I see trends now seem to have pendant lighting over islands this could be good too. While I love the wood ,having so much of it in this house means you never get to change the colour of your walls like you would if it were gyprock. Change brings freshness and lifts the spirits. Interested to know your thoughts on this.
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So Cal Contractor
    Thanks for that- the countertops are ok but the island top has buckled and split so would need a change.
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    bfuqua
    Yes I have loved the wood especially the colour on that wall where the shelves , hence my difficulty in "letting go of it".
    However since the house had many walls like it I feel it might be time to change. The current layout does not work so this gives me a chance to correct yesterday also. See comments above re other thoughts I have and thanks for your imput. It's great that there are so many lovely innovative people out there willing to help my in my thinking
  • PRO
    Urbanata/Steve
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't do anything other than 2cm white quartz counter tops.
    nelliejean67 thanked Urbanata/Steve
  • partim
    9 years ago
    Your wood is attractive, but it sound like you have plenty of it in your home already. But the most important thing is that your floor plan does not function well. There is no landing place beside the stove for food coming off the stove or out of the oven, which is a safety issue. Also no landing place beside the refrigerator. Nowhere for people to congregate in the kitchen, facing the "action", and taking part.

You have lots of space. If it were me, I'd remove that large pantry to the left of the stove, and even incorporate the closet which is behind the stove, as part of the kitchen. Take down the wall to the left of the long countertop. Open the whole thing up. Then call in a professional kitchen designer to design it ergonomically as a place for people to congregate. Our designer made a few suggestion to our plan that I would have never thought of, but make it so much more functional.

If you like the look of painted cupboards, you don't have to go with white. A soft pale color make look ever better and bring out the beauty of the wood in your kitchen and adjoining rooms. You have a wonderful base to start from, but I think you could have a kitchen you'd really love.
    Warmington North · More Info

Historic Kitchen Rennovation · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Luxury home with a view · More Info
  • Meghan
    9 years ago
    My vote would be for lighter contrasting countertops and beefier shelves with some decor rearranging. This would keep the costs low and keep with the theme of your house :)
    nelliejean67 thanked Meghan
  • User
    9 years ago
    Remove all moveable things. Update them and leave the wood as is.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    I would keep the cabinets AND: change the floor to a large format / maybe 12 x 24 in a running bond pattern matched to light quartz countertops. Replace the island with the new inserts for: trash, deep pot drawers behind the doors. Consider a red enamel stove and rework the tile in the stove recess to match the tone of the tops and floor (off white in a creamy direction) but maintain the classic - like a subway tile. Add a hood here above in stainless steel to match a new stainless sink and pull down faucet and stainless refrigerator. Beef up the shelves. Hire a finish carpenter to install new drawer rollers and guides and new door hinges so they all operate like new.
    nelliejean67 thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    What is the room through the door to the left of the wall of shelves?

Is there a hallway behind the refrigerator?

Do you have easy access to the plumbing from underfloor?
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    The fridge would look nicer in the alcove where the stove is, but you'd lack a nearby surface to set things on. That would drive me crazy. Unless it doesn't bother you, consider using the alcove for storage. You could put cabinets, open shelves, or something like a hutch painted in one or more cheerful colors. Like this, only not so big (and maybe not so crazy color-wise):
    Burlingame Residence Two · More Info

Moroccan Lounge · More Info

Bethesda Home Celebrating Vibrant Color and Pattern · More Info

Inverness - Lakeside Cottage · More Info

Moving the cooking space to the area of your current shelves could work. You'd have work space on both sides, and a nice backsplash behind it would add some contrast. Could a fridge fit with its back to the pantry, next to the door? If you remove the wall where the fridge now is, you could have a long counter with a large white farmhouse or similar sink facing out the window. Or you could put a breakfast table and chairs there. I'd keep things low on the window side to allow as much natural light in as possible.

Again, I love the wood and would keep as much as you can. I understand your craving for change, but there are many ways to accomplish it: colorful small (or even large) appliances, breakfast table and chairs, rugs, lamps, utensils, wall art. If you need to add cabinets or shelves or counters, use white or a bold color. If it were my kitchen, I'd go for ivory and southwest color accents, but I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea. Paler colors could work fine, too
    nelliejean67 thanked makaloco
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you kaka loco for your input it gives me lots to think about and you have got me thinking outside the square. Re fridge I would have the island behind me so I don't think that would be an issue for me but I will think some more about it.. I loved your dresser ideas especially the striped one I would find that fun but my husband is conservative and would' be able to get his head around that. You have added a lot of different ideas to the discussion so thank you. You have made me think outside the square. I have to admit that I like colour I think it adds personality to a room and gives it a unique feel. I was thinking of keeping all the permanent fixtures neutral and adding colour in non permanent items that can be replaced when I am sick of them. However all these thoughts are great to mull over and it,s thru them that I am finding the pathway to
    deciding what the way ahead is
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Patrim I liked your comments especially about using the space behind the stove and the pantry to open it all up. Mmm ! food for thought.
  • partim
    9 years ago
    Just a few thoughts from memory, of the questions that the designer asked us about our kitchen.
    1. When you're cutting up food for cooking, where are you standing? Do you like your view? (Here I am thinging about what seems to be a beautiful view through the glass doors - I'd want to spend much of my time facing that area!) Are your knives and cutting boards handy?
    2. For everyday meal preparation, are you alone in your kitchen or is someone working with you? Do you each have a good space of countertop to work on?
    3. Imagine yourself making a simple meal. Do you have to walk around a lot to get things?
    4. How do you entertain? Do people like to be in the kitchen while you finish meal prep? Is there somewhere for them to be where they are not underfoot?

I wonder where your eating area is? The low shelf that separates your kitchen from the other room doesn't seem to be very useful. Could it be removed and give you room for something like a breakfast bar with stools facing the kitchen?

Especially if you have a lot of other wood in your home, I wouldn't worry about preserving it all. A well-functioning kitchen is a joy and will always add value. That said, I have no idea of your budget so pardon me if I have presumed that your finances allow. But still, thinking about function is always a good plan no matter how large the changes may be.

Give this one a good think-through before you make any changes. And the help of a professional, although it may seem expensive and not value-add, would make the world of difference. They understand how to make things functional.
    nelliejean67 thanked partim
  • PRO
    McNICHOLS CO.
    9 years ago
    You could reface some of the cabinet doors with decorative Perforated Inserts. Check out http://www.mcnichols.com/perforatedgrilles
  • nelliejean67
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I like the inserts on the grey cabinet they give lots of character. Thanks
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Those inserts are kind of cool. On average what is the cost of one.
  • PRO
    McNICHOLS CO.
    9 years ago
    The inserts vary by size, material and finish. If you call 866.754.5144 you can talk to someone directly about what you are looking for. Hope this helps!