Horrible hallway
esehorn
June 25, 2014
This is what I walk into every day. The garage and this hallway are my first entry points into my house and I just hate it. The color, the lighting, everything. Any advice on how to make this lighter, brighter, and more welcoming?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HomeDecor Addict
paint, better lighting, and art on the walls to start. can you also post pics of the rest of your house, or at least rooms right off of this area?
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:39PM
bgfuqua
first, make the mud room area right at the entrance more interesting and useful. a bench, coat hooks, baskets, boot tray, etc. more colorful. paint it and hall lighter and brighter. remove some of the wall between stairs and this hall.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:00PM
Curt D'Onofrio
In the 2nd thumbnail pic knock down the wall and put a railing for the stairs. That wall makes the hallway 'look' to narrow
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:32PM
Curt D'Onofrio
In 'before and after' category on houzz, a poster added nooks to of his hallway wall and it made a big difference. I would do that on the right side wall in second thumbnail pic, if on the other side of that wall there isn't a bathroom or a bedroom (privacy reasons)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 10:43PM
PRO
Luxe Water Walls
A water wall is a great way to greet you everyday. They don't take up much space and are pleasing to the eye.
    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 7:57AM
orchardsgal
Add bench with cubbies beneath and hooks above to mud room space. Also add an interesting round indoor outdoor rug. Take out part of stair wall as mentioned above. Paint a lighter neutral color. Add a pretty, long runner (or two) to floor in hall.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 8:49AM
Maureen
Mudroom: would be pretty in the same color as your blue bathroom (and tie them in a bit). You already have shelving, but add larger wicker baskets of consistent sizes to hide your items (helps with organization as well). Add a small bench, a large basket to throw shoes into (as well as a matt for boots under bench). If you have children, add coat hooks under mirror (or better yet, purchase a fun blue/white/red print). Hallway: a vibrant runner (horizontal stripes will make hall look wider), light whitish/bluish paint and freshen ceiling in white, some black and white prints and a modern light fixture. Just needs some makeup basically.
Farmhouse Entry; Hall; Bar Chart Bliss Rug;
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:43AM
PRO
Design really Matters
I think the mud room area would be an easy fix, with a bench or entryway storage system, you can checkout pottery barn for some ideas.

For the hallway you could do a few things 1. Lighting - if you can, add skylights, that would certainly brighten up the space and/or ceiling mounted lights, small chandeliers would be glam, if you like that look 2. Some art on the walls, I have family pictures all along the walls in my hallway, white simple frames will give it clean open look 3. A runner/rug to add some color and warmth to the floor would be a nice touch. 4. And of course a fresh coat of paint, color is really your preference, See these elements in my hallway picture attached. Best.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:53PM
esehorn
Thank you all for the ideas. I have zero design talent and your input is greatly appreciated!
    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 10:10PM
PRO
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
I like luxe water walls' suggestion. Guaranteed you hall way won't be boring.
    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 11:04AM