Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila_summers

Two tone wood cabinets - opinions

Sheila Summers
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We are having a new house built and I'm thinking about getting light upper and dark lower cabinets in the kitchen. The thing is, I don't want painted (either light or dark), so it would be light wood and dark wood. I'm thinking natural cherry uppers with a complimentary dark stained cherry below. The uppers would be antiqued, to help tie them to the lowers. I'm also thinking about two different door styles, to make it look a little less cookie cutter. What do you think?

This is a picture of a model of our floor plan:
The Genesee · More Info

Note: We're getting all 40" uppers instead of the mixed heights, and thinking about getting clerestory cabinets on top so they would go all the way to the ceiling.

Comments (5)

• karemore55
    9 years ago
    Hi there! I like the idea of light uppers and darker lowers, still in the stained cherrywood. I am not so sure about mixing door styles, though. Unless you are looking for an unfitted French country, or maybe old English, look, this could end up being too busy and disconnected. Also, if you think you may be selling before this kitchen becomes dated, then try and stay a little more neutral with the cabinets.

I hear you, though, on not wanting to be cookie-cutter! It is a fine balance you strike, trying to please yourself and feel as though your kitchen is showroom-worthy. So, here are a couple of ideas to consider:

First, consider different countertops for perimeter and island. Maybe a solid on the perimeter, and a marbled or other pattern on the island?

Secondly, if it's not too late in the building stage, look carefully at the lighting choices and see if you can come up with something unique here. Is there a logical spot to do wall sconces? Can you do something differently over the island - maybe an iron candelabra chandelier instead of the usual pendant lights?

Third, using color to express your uniqueness is easy and cheap - and maybe most importantly, it can easily be changed! Choose a wall color that you love, and that ties all your main floor elements together, for a kitchen that will feel "right", and therefore personal.

Fourth, have a look at the silgranite sinks by Blanco. You can use a colored sink to express your individuality, and you will be amazed at how "quiet" they are compared to SS sinks.

My feeling about staggered cabinet heights is that this look has become a bit dated. I do, however, like the idea of the run of upper cabinets right up to the ceiling. And, with glass door fronts, you again have a chance to do something really unique by displaying a collection that you love to look at. Resist the urge to fill every cubby, though. Filling only half to two-thirds of the cubbies gives each item in them breathing space, and suggests that the collection is ongoing.

I hope these tips help. You are sure to get lots of other ideas from fellow Houzzers!
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Here is an idea for wall color - you could do a warm, complex white such as Ben Moore Classic Gray on the walls, and then paint the vertical sides of that beam that is delineating the kitchen and eating area (as well as acting as a tray ceiling in the eating area) a strong color, such as Courtland Blue. Showing both colors below.
  • Sheila Summers
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the well thought out advice! I'm a glass artist, and I'm looking at artist-blown lights for the island.
  • karemore55
    9 years ago
    Sheila, I had to look that up as I had no idea what you meant! I pictured some sort of installation right IN the island lol.

Well, you have no worries about your kitchen looking cookie cutter then - your room will be beautiful!
  • fredm51
    9 years ago
    You know that Cherry wood gets darker over time? I like your idea of light uppers and dark lowers but it looks like you are trying to echo the floor in the cabinets. That is not working in the cabinets or the table. I think you need a designer to help you get what you are looking for.