Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spenz

1970's kitchen remodel.

spenz
9 years ago
Our recently purchased, 1970's house had never been updated or redecorated.

After spending the past year stripping wallpaper, painting and other fix ups, we decided to tackle the kitchen. We planned for a couple months then started demolition April 5th. Final touches were done July 2nd.

There was a pantry/laundry beside the kitchen so we opened that up as well as a wall to the dining room to bring in more light.

The island used the original cabinets and was painted in similar tones as the tile backsplash. The butcher block top was recycled from a workshop in our basement.

A good portion of this was DIY, with contractors working on electrical, drywall and installation of beams to replace a bearing wall.

Comments (46)

• bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    nice job.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Great contrast and the island absolutely fantastic.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Incredible transformation and in such a short period of time!
  • joanne1000
    9 years ago
    wow...looks great!
  • glow_j
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Wow, great transformation!
  • flyr4fun
    9 years ago
    Ambitious DYI! Looks great, job well done.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    You did a great job!!! Enjoy it every single day!
  • PRO
    1STOPlighting
    9 years ago
    Great installation of recessed and under cabinet lighting! That switch really helps to highlight all the beautiful changes you made.
  • kiwi_bird
    9 years ago
    Looks super functional now!
  • fixeruppergirl
    9 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • Design2 girl
    9 years ago
    Great job. It's awesome!
  • jerryalan
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous!
  • gracey999
    9 years ago
    Great job. I want to take a load bearing wall down between my kit and dr...but I have no idea what kind of money it will cost, any idea?
  • mateo0605
    9 years ago
    Beautiful
  • eclecticjourney
    9 years ago
    Sorry, not my taste, but if it yours then that's all that matters.
  • Sydney Chandler
    9 years ago
    Great job. Enjoy it!
  • spenz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi gracey999, we took out the big wall you see in the second picture plus a smaller wall between the kitchen and dining room. You can see the large beam on the floor in the second picture also.

We had to get the beams sized by an engineer and plans drawn up for the structural permit, then the cost of the beams themselves and labor to install. Also a crane service for the largest beam and misc hangers and hardware. We did all the demolition ourselves and had the room down to studs for the contractor. It was a fairly complicated installation because of a room upstairs that had to be supported better than it was before and beam upgrades in the garage below to support the hidden posts in the kitchen walls.

We spent approx $6,000 for this portion of the job plus extra drywall work that wouldn't have happened if the wall was left in place. If it was completely done by a contractor? Maybe $10 or 12k? Not sure but I know we saved a lot.

It was much more complicated than we expected but worth it.
  • c_designs
    9 years ago
    It looks wonderful, i love it so much! (: Also if i might suggest, i think those barstools are sort of ruining the space (at least for me). I think something like these would look much better! (:
  • spenz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks cdesign. We're not in love with the stools either and open to options.
  • jpstambaugh
    9 years ago
    What color are the cabinets in the after?
  • spenz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The outside cabinets are beech with cocoa stain. The island is painted in SW Pavement semi gloss oil enamel.
  • orchardsgal
    9 years ago
    Wow! That is gorgeous!
  • Susan
    9 years ago
    Very nice. I like the wood cabinets in the before picture, but the makeover is stunning, and looks more functional.

I don't love the stools, but they compliment the range hood very well. Are the stools comfortable? I like the stools by C designs that don't have the back. If you want stools with a back, I would only use two.
  • tiffanybodensteiner
    9 years ago
    It looks fantastic! Nice job!
  • Anita Bozzo
    9 years ago
    Agree. The stools look a little cold. Great update.
  • kimber032
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Beautiful job! I love that you took the cabinets all the way to the ceiling. Very smart :)
  • Bonnie Chappell
    9 years ago
    Fantastic! I love that you reused the old cabinets.
  • Amanda Mély
    9 years ago
    Love it!
  • Sue Strauch
    9 years ago
    Very nice! Taking that wall down was definitely worth it.
  • PRO
    Goldcon Construction
    9 years ago
    Great job!
  • voegelsnest
    9 years ago
    Looks warm and cosy and hard to imagine what it once was. You are an inspiration to me with a very similar set-up. My 'kitchen' drives me mad with lack of space and cramped by too many walls and a narrow through-way which people pass through from the front door to the sitting room down another hallway to the back of the house. Well done for all your hard work and hard-earned dollars to make the change!
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    That's a beautiful transformation. The kitchen was definitely brought into modernity
  • Margaret Tonkin
    9 years ago
    Light and bright and very user friendly - wonderful job.
  • tammythiesse
    9 years ago
    If you opened up the wall into the pantry and laundry, what happened to those rooms?
  • kailuaaloha
    9 years ago
    Very lovely..great job but lose the rug! Just put felt things on the bottom of the stools...the rug is out of place
  • User
    9 years ago
    Great looking. Love the island materials.
  • lschroeder1729
    9 years ago
    great job!!
  • PRO
    Travis Robert Renovations
    9 years ago
    Nice update!
  • spenz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    tammythiesse, we moved the laundry upstairs near the bedrooms right after we moved in. The new tall cabinets made up for the loss of the pantry shelves.
  • kranat007
    9 years ago
    Went picture by picture and when I got to the last all I could say was: "Whoa." Love it!
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    9 years ago
    Wow! Very nice job!
  • jergens1211
    9 years ago
    Good job
  • susanlaster595
    9 years ago
    Sweet!
  • Needah
    9 years ago