Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberleyb

PLEASE help with entryway!

Kim Bohnenkamp
9 years ago
I need help deciding what to do with the wood around my front door. Should I repaint it with the same color, go lighter to make the door pop, try something totally different like stone.....? Any other observations/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (25)

• btydrvn
    9 years ago
    Rt now the door doesn't tie in with the rest of the trim....May be paint the surround to match window trim or shutters...if the door color can be changed an all green door and surround will expand the doors impact and at the same time tie into the beautiful lawn color
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Rachel @ Ethan Allen
    9 years ago
    I think a beautiful dark blue color on the front door and side lights would be a nice change from all of the orange in the brick. As far as the wood panels, I would change them out for a smooth wood and paint them black.
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Rachel @ Ethan Allen
  • julieharrison
    9 years ago
    Paint it black
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked julieharrison
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    And 2 more
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    9 years ago
    you might consider painting the wood the same color as the windows. you can keep the door as is or paint it the color of your shutters
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Comwest Construction
  • Kim Bohnenkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I appreciate all the great comments. Carolins - I like how the white makes the door pop, but what color for wood walls perpendicular to the door and the small wood arch above?
  • PRO
    Mouldex Exterior & Interior Mouldings
    9 years ago
    Consider replacing the wood as maintenance will be needed in the future to keep it looking fresh. Stone is a great option, will make for a grand entrance but you would have to use veneer since it's lighter than traditional stone and wouldn't need a lintel to support it. You can also use a composite wood as an alternative.
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Mouldex Exterior & Interior Mouldings
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Here are a couple of different options. I didn't realize there was wood surrounding the door and sidelights.
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I prefer the last option. Surrounding wood in the same colour as the shutters, sidelights same colour as window frames and whatever colour front door you choose.
  • Kim Bohnenkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much, carolins, for showing me some options. I am not good at visualizing and that really helped!
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    You're welcome. Please post 'after photos'. We'd love to see what you end up doing :-)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Actually, looking back at the photos, I'm also liking the all white surrounding and white sidelights. I think I'm liking that even more than the last one with the darker surrounding wood.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    9 years ago
    I think the wood paneling around and above the door should be the same white as your other trim. Look at the house from afar- you have a nice rhythm of repeating arches over the windows that is lost over the front door. By painting this wood plus the door trim white, your accent color will pop.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I prefer the two with entirely white surrounds, with or without the sidelights painted, as carolins showed. They probably look better in the distance shot where you see the entire front of the home. Larger urns or pots are in order, as the current ones are smaller in scale than the coach lanterns, which look like they could use refinishing. My choice would be a black door and black lanterns. Also might consider brass on the lanterns and on a kick plate for the door. If it were mine, my next project would be removal of the brick knee wall.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Paint everything but the door white.

Paint door shutter color. The red door looks off with the red brick.
  • Kim Bohnenkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just want to show all of you who commented where I am with front entry. I haven't decided on a door color yet, but will soon. Then I'll post a picture of the final result. If you have additional comments or suggestions, I will appreciate all input. Thank you again for all your previous suggestions!
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    9 years ago
    Yay, so much better!
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    9 years ago
    As others have noted, the red isn't great with the brick, and using the shutter color to me seems like to much grey with the roof. Purple? Some shade of green?

Already such an improvement. Yay paint!
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    The white trim looks great! Yes the red on the door now has too much of an orange tint to it. To get more of a pop I would suggest a darker green or darker blue for the front door.
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Love it. Looks much better :-)
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    Some visuals, maybe it helps you narrow down colour choices
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    And...
  • Kim Bohnenkamp
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Carolins, thank you for the visuals. That really helps! I'm thinking about the blue at the moment. I will post a picture after I make my decision.
  • saller
    9 years ago
    I like the second one that Carolins did. The one with the same color of the shutters. It kind of gives it a nice rhythm across the front of your home.
    Kim Bohnenkamp thanked saller