Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkwf

what colour should I paint the garage doors and front door?

bkwf
9 years ago
trying our best not to result in painting the sidings.

Thanks for your ideas!

Comments (8)

• bkwf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    we were planning on adding a pergola to the front but not paint the brick.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I think Michele Taylor is absolutely right about everything, especially (1) painting the garage doors white; (2) an overhang over the front door; and (3) painting your front door an interesting color to make it stand out. Would love to see some "after" pix.
  • PRO
    Michele Taylor Interiors LLC
    9 years ago
    Thanks Bonnie! I wouldn't always advise painting brick, but in this case it is making the front of your house too disjointed in my opinion. The garage sticking out from the facade, the different sized windows and just 1/4 of the house being brick all add up to be too much going on visually. If the brick is painted the same color as the rest of the house, it will make the house less chopped up looking and more pulled together. And as I mentioned, it will allow your front door the chance to stand out. Btw, the pergola is a great idea!
  • bkwf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks Michelle. what colour would we paint the shutters and chimney?

if we decided to paint the siding I was thinking yellow, white trim, white garage doors (carriage style), white front doors, and keep the red brick... thoughts?
  • Bailey
    9 years ago
    Paint garage doors white so they don't stand out and paint the door your favorite color so it does stand out. Your favorite color ensures you will love it when you drive home and see it.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If you paint the siding yellow, and then paint the garage doors white, you will still have the same problem you have now with the garage doors being too prominent.

The garage doors make up a large portion of the area of the front of your home, and no matter what color you paint your siding, your garage doors (and the entire front of your home) will look best when they are painted the same color as the siding. Then you can choose another color for your trim, and a third color for your front door.

I too dislike the idea of painting brick, but in this case it could be your best option. If you are truly opposed to painting the brick, possibly you could paint the siding and garage doors the same color as the brick, and then do your trim in a slate blue, deep olive or some other deep color. I have seen trims in these colors on brick houses and it looks stunning and sophisticated.

By the way, I agree the pergola is a great idea!
  • bkwf
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    in progress