Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smckenna85

Kitchen island - does it have to match?

Hi
We just purchased our first home and are super excited to move in!! We think the space in our kitchen would be perfect for a free standing island but does it have to match the kitchen cabinets??
I don't particularly like the colour of the cabinets anyway and I am at least changing the hardware on them (as well as the appliances to SS) but I don't want the island to look like it supposed to match but doesn't.
I want something either really rustic - I've seen an old shop counter in an antique store or something a bit more industrial - stainless steel top and stools??
I guess our other issue is that spot is also an access point to the patio doors - does it matter if you have to go around the island to get outside??
Would love your help!! (Oh I also hate the red colour but my partner loves it - opinions.....)

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Franny & Maisie Upholstery
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks!!

Would you keep with a darker island or white?
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    A black island would look good, with a cherry wood top.
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    YES t matters if you have to go around the islnd to get outside. It also matters if it would block access to any of the 3 major kitchen work stations, which it would. It also matters that you only have about 6 1/2 feet in the middle of the room and you shoukd hve at east 36'' minimum aisles around any island, which would leave you with about 6'' of room for an island.

Most kitchens without islands do not have them because there isn't room. Yours is one that desn't have room for anything but a small mobile cart that you can (constantly) roll out of your way.
  • PRO
    Franny & Maisie Upholstery
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I definitely don't want a rolling cart.

The island would serve as additional counter space so I don't see it as blocking the major appliances.

I hear what your saying that the space may be too small - but if that's the case then what do I do with it?? It will look odd empty and the 2 lights hanging over nothing......
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Move the patio doors down, or convert to a single door and window. Extend the counter next to the range outward towards the fridge to create a peninsula that will provide extra work surface on one side and some casual seating on the other.
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    The space under the two lights seems to be set up for a table area. Is that where your island will go? Maybe if you draw out the floor space we can get a better feel for spacing & walkways.
  • linz789
    9 years ago
    If you are putting an island with barstools in as a table under the two light fixtures it would be better if it was completely different from your cabinets and it shouldn't impede the flow as long as you line it up correctly with the patio door. However it is a choice that may affect resale because you lose the ability to have a table in the kitchen. On the other hand it also might help resale because it would give you more storage space in a smaller kitchen along with an eat in kitchen. I've seen both choices in practice with some that I like and some that I don't. The worst I've seen was basically just cabinetry put in with countertops that came to the end of the counter and only overhung by about an inch. The barstools stuck out into the room, my knees banged the cabinet and I had to lean forward to eat. So my recommendation would be to get different colored and style cabinetry narrow enough to allow for a good sized countertop that overhangs the backside of the cabinets by at least 16" where once you put in the barstools you are still on the tile in the kitchen. You don't want your barstools to stick out into your living room area when in use. You can look around on houzz for lots of opinions on depth ranging from 15" to 22" but I would suggest actually going to a kitchen design store, find what you like, and have them come out to measure and design something for you. It may cost you around $150 to have them design it but if you buy the cabinets/countertops from them they will usually credit that toward your purchase. It depends on where you go. Every place has different rules.