Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnk28585

What color curtains and should I buy a new rug....Help @Groveraxle!!!!

tnk28585
9 years ago
Still can't decide what to do with this living room. Want to purchase new white blinds and new curtains.....but what color? Any advice on this room would be greatly appreciated

Comments (14)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Not sure of the layout here but assume the credenza is opposite the 1.5 chair. That's where I'd put the TV and get rid of the TV stand. Worth it to move the connections. I'd put the sofa on the large wall where the 1.5 chair is and angle the chair at the window, facing the TV. Slip your rug under the front feet of the sofa and put the hassock/coffee table 18" from the sofa. Get curtains in the gray from the area rug. Might have to order online to get them long enough. They should hang straight floor to ceiling. Move the two pieces of art so their bottoms are 5" above the sofa and there is one frame's width between them.
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    I think you need a second and even third color to balance your dark maroon color. There is just too much of it in the room.

You might want to go with silky gray drapes and slightly lighter gray blinds. Try another rug that brings in lighter colors and a more interesting pattern as well. Go with a diversity of colors and patterns without making it clash, and same with your pillows.

Some suggestions...

view to boston · More Info

living room · More Info

Aubergine Palais · More Info
  • lhutch13
    9 years ago
    You need a larger rug. It shouldn't be floating in the middle of the room. Since it is, it's too small.
  • tnk28585
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have never thought about adding gray.....going out to look this week. And thanks for telling me about the pictures because my husband and I have debated the pictures for a while. I was thinking about getting a solid rug. My main issues are what bold color do you add to burgandy?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The burgundy is holding its own and there is plenty of it. Don't worry about adding another bold color. The rug is anchoring your seating, so pull the gray from it up in the curtains, a throw, etc. I think you could use some more substantial lamps with the bulk of the sofa. Here is a chart to help with sizing. Also, when you hang art, a good rule of thumb is center point 5' above the floor if not with furniture, if with furniture then 5" above the piece, and keep the size of the art within 75% of the furniture's width. Consider getting a larger piece for above the sofa and stacking those two pieces vertically between the windows with the center point between them 5' from the floor. Your rug is a bit small but if wider than the sofa it can work for now You might try a silvery gray shag rug for some texture, or how about a zebra one? Pewter lamps and a pewter tray will add a bit of shine. You could add a floor lamp with the chair for a reading spot.
    Fontana · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Kenroy Home Lamps Teardrop 29 in. Metallic Pewter Table Lamp 32043MP · More Info

Kichler Lighting 70333AP Missoula Transitional Table Lamp In Antique Pewter · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Forgot the chart...
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    What is nice about a rug is how you can bring color and pattern into the room, and leave the rest of the area neutral. It dressed it all up. In the same way, you can have a simple black dress on, and add a colorful scarf and you get a brand new look.
  • tnk28585
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Groveraxle. I'll have my husband to lower them next weekend.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    The room is way too warm and the red is overpowering. Consider slipcovering some of your burgundy pieces. That will give you a lot more options for adding color.

I would slipcover the ottoman, for sure. Here are a few looks for you with green and teal.

I turned your photo collage to portrait format and lowered it. Of course, your children are now sideways, so you may want to redo the piece.
  • tnk28585
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Really interesting Groveraxle.....I like the greens. Hadn't thought about adding a slipcover on the ottoman and oversized chair. Thanks for the suggestions and visuals
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    These two need to be closer together, lowered, and centered over the chair.
  • tnk28585
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok. My husband has been debating those pictures for some time.....but now that he can see your pics he agrees that they should be lowered. Again I say Thanks for the awesome suggestions. Some suggested gray or brown curtains....what's your take on those colors
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I think browns will be more of the same, gray isn't bad but a little blah. Here a couple of quick renderings. (Past my bedtime here; perhaps in the morning, I can try a real redesign in gray. I wouldn't do brown; too warm.)