Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sorleia

Looking for Design Advice With a Front Courtyard

sorleia
9 years ago
Hello, all. I am looking to do some work on my front courtyard. The current just has some dead plants, a fountain that hasn't worked in over a year, and some white pebbles that are getting very bad looking and have weeds poking through as the ground cover. Problem is, I have little experience with the kind of full redesign I am hoping to do. I've done small gardens and the like before, but that is about it. I'm really hoping for something low, or better yet no, maintenance needed. I live in the South-west corner of hardiness zone 9b in Florida, almost in 9c.

I've got a kind of horse shoe shaped area, and am hoping for something with a sort of elegant-ish feel without being overbearing, if that makes any sense. Irish moss is something that seemed interesting, but I'm not sure it would quite work here, and it seems like it takes a bit of work. The area gets sunlight about 60% of the day, and gets quite wet in the rainy seasons.

All told, I would hopefully be completely redoing the courtyard, so advice for a walkway and general ground cover. Maybe plants and nice outdoor furniture? The area is maybe 30 feet across at its widest point, each of the 'legs' of the horseshoe shape are about 10 feet across, and it is about 15 or 20.feet from the wall of the house to the current walkway, though there is also decent space on the other side of the walkway.

I guess that is not a whole lot of information go off of, but I'd appreciate if anyone could just throw some ideas out there that I could play around with.

Thank you for any insight. :)