Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_allison

need help remodeling ugly bathroom

Katie
11 years ago
just bought this house with this "en suite" master bath. the glass block topped wall that you see divides the bath from bedroom. the toilet is separated behind it's own door to the left of the mirrored closet doors. the photo with the viewpoint of the shower and tub is from the door which is the only entrance to the suite... I know it is difficult to visualize the layout with just these two pictures.
We would like to move the entrance to the bedroom instead. The tub does not have to stay, we are willing to change it all, just need some ideas!

Comments (6)

• Michelle Baker
    11 years ago
    That's an interesting layout. good idea to add a door so you don't have to walk through your bathroom to get to your room.

i like the tub but it's in a weird location. Do you want to move pluming walls? If so, switch the tub and sink area. And move the dresser somewhere else.

Regardless, knock out the glass block and get different mirror lights. The room looks big enough for a fan or chandelier, too.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    What a nice, spacious bathroom! When I look at this room I could see an island vanity in the middle of the room (perhaps a his and her side). This bathroom is so big you almost don’t know where to go. The bathtub would also look neat if you placed it where the closet is and made a relaxing little area for it to be placed in with nice lighting. In return, you could place your closet where you vanity is currently. I agree, that dresser needs to go somewhere else, it is far to massive for a bathroom. Or instead of having a vanity in the middle of the room, you could place it on the wall that we are not seeing in these pictures (is there a wall there?) Could you upload a picture of that wall so I can see everything that is going on?
  • Susan Liu
    11 years ago
    retile thebathroom for a newer feeling maybe with patterns or mosaics http://annsacks.com/onlinecatalog/program.jsp?cat=272104&coll=279004&prg=2263004 some ideas. the rug looks good with the same theme for the painting but maybe remove the black boarder/fray the edges if possible? the tub looks a little outdated, maybe just either get a new more geometric one or try to hide the tubes. you can also get creative with the ceiling lights since your bathroom is so roomy. the sliding mirrors may make the room look a little tooooo big.its such a big bathroom with some great potential :) hope all goes well
  • Ann Marin
    11 years ago
    First of all, I'd kill for this "ugly" master bath. Its got a lot gong for it. Take out the huge mirror and lighting. Now, Cover the entire back wall and ugly block with beadboard. Paint it cream or white. Add back updated lighting and framed mirrors (2) above each sink.

Take out the big furniture piece/it doesn't fit or belong in this space. You could put a pretty chair there. Replace the white blinds with natural bamboo blinds, replace the carpet with seagrass or something light. The one there is too dark and dull for a bathroom.

Replace artwork with something bigger/brighter. Kohl's, Michaels, and even the larger JoAnns have bigger artwork that works in a bath. Think seashells, the beach, or something "spa-ish", perhaps in the gilted frame for some sparkle.

I'd keep the bathtub right were it is; maybe add one of those teak racks to the top of it with a candle and a small vase to tie in the wood of the vanities. Get fluffier, whiter towels for the racks.

This is a great space and it won't take much to update it.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Your bathroom is caught between two styles, the glass block, light bar and area rug lean contemporary and the claw foot tub and dark cherry cabinets have a traditional/vintage feel. I would play up the vintage aspects of the room by removing the glass block, updating the lighting, selecting a traditional rug, and adding some full length curtains at the window. You also have plenty of room to add a chaise or large round ottoman.
    Sarah's House's Photos - Sarah's House: Season 3 | Facebook · More Info
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Huge bathroom with a whole lot of styles going on!

I love your tub, so I would make that the inspiration. Is the tub you? Then I would redo floor in small hexagon tiles, full curtains to frame the tub...

But first: what style do you like? And, what is your budget range?