Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalil

Need help with window treatments for family room

kalil
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
These are pictures of my family room which has 3 larger and two smaller windows. The 2 larger windows are on either side of the fireplace, with the one on its left being at a right angle to the 3 third larger window. These all have Hunter Douglas vertical blinds installed by the builder before we bought this house.

The room also has two smaller windows which are currently covered with paper shades and face the third larger window on the opposite wall. These are the windows that need to be covered, either with curtains or blinds - whatever, the experts here feel will blend with the rest of the room.

All windows have beautiful, but shallow, frames which do not allow installation of blinds inside the frame. I have not been able to find vertical blinds for the currently bare windows (paper shades only) that match the existing ones, even from Hunter Douglas and do not want to replace the existing ones on the other windows.

What are my options? Can I mix different styles of window treatments in the same room? It would really help me if you can supplement your suggestions with pictures to help me visualize.

Also, feel free to make comments on the general look of the room.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Wannemacher Interiors
    11 years ago
    Kalil what are your needs, privacy? light control? easy to clean? budget friendly?
  • kalil
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I would like something that does not show shadows of people walking around in the room at night time. That's all the privacy I need there. Light is ok. Budget friendly? Anytime, but not an absolute must! :) Can be in the mid range, price-wise.
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    11 years ago
    These vertical blinds look akward. they don't approach the floor and they look strange in this application. The paper shades really are not doing much for you. I would suggest wood blinds, outside mounted if you truly don't have the window depth. You can do these in white or a wood tone, and if budget is an issue, you can get "faux" wood blinds which look good still and are less expensive. If you do not even have 1" wiindow depth, outside mount them. It will disguise the trim but still look better than what you've got there. Then, for color I would add drapes either side of the windows on a nice simple wooden rod. above the blind.You will have to get large projection brackets (ones that protrude at least 5" from the wall) to go over the sides of the blinds. And when the drapes are made they must have deeper "returns" meaning that they are made to cover the gap between the front of the blind and the wall. If you don't have the cash for the custom drapes at first, you can just do the blinds, then figure out your decorating scheme and save up for the drapes.Wood blinds will give you maximum flexibility over lighting during the day and the privacy you want at night.
  • kalil
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Has anyone ever done vertical blinds on some windows and curtains on the others in the same room? I already have plain sheers, the length of the existing blinds, behind all the blinds to give me daytime privacy when they are fully open. If I go for curtains, would 84" length (the length of the current blinds) be ok so that I can keep the existing sheers behind them?
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    The builder made a huge error in hanging the vertical blinds. They are more appropriate for a commercial office building. Do a photo search on houzz under "traditional fireplace" to see rooms that resemble yours for ideas on window treatments that will suit your beautiful home. Any curtains you hang should reach to the floor.
  • jannielee
    11 years ago
    The vertical blinds and the paper shades really need to go. They both cheapen your room. I have never heard of anyone placing sheers behind any form of blind. It seems that white wood blinds either in 1 or 2" slats would be your best bet unless you are willing to have white custom plantation shutters installed. All blinds or shutters in the room should match. I'd add drapery panels to the outside of each window.

I like the rug and the green chairs. Bustle back sofas are not my favorite and feel a bit heavy. Perhaps a less bulky, more refined sofa style would be nicer for the room. The huchtop computer desk is obtrusive. If you need to keep a desk-like surface in this room, consider pulling a new trimmer sofa from the wall across from the fireplace/TV, place the green chairs facing each other on each side of the f.p., behind the sofa place a sofa table that is deep enough to act as a desk, add seating at the desk like a bench seat or a low back upholstered wood feame chair. If there isn't sufficient space for the table and seating behind the new sofa, then the chairs and new sofa could stay where they are and a writing desk could be placed where the second sofa is across from the chairs.

Lastly, AFTER your window treatments are installed, look for substantially sized artwork for the largest wall spaces.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Those blinds are awful , Makes it look like a office window , I'm more for Drapes .
  • kalil
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    BTW, everything that you see in the room is new except the desk with the chair. So it is all here to stay (except for the blinds), fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you feel about it :). I am no expert in interior decoration but am surprised that everyone of you feels the same way about the vertical blinds spoiling the look of the room. My neighbor had hired a window treatment expert who installed floor length vertical blinds with sheers panels in between the slats for the french doors in their family room!!

The sofas look bulky but are functionally the right choice, I feel, as we needed recliners to be able to watch TV above the high mantel, without straining our necks too much.

Most kitchens or family rooms these days have an in-built secretary's desk, but mine doesn't. That is why I had to create a little office space in the family room. The way the desk is placed right now, it allows me to do my work as well as keep an eye on the TV, if necessary. It is my little special nook! It also gives a space to my child for doing her homework.

I have asked for comments and I appreciate all the input. Yes, I have been on the lookout for artwork but have yet to come across something that fits the budget as well as the look I am after. Ideally though,I would like to put up something family-related like a big family photo which is done up like abstract art. I am still trying to figure out how it can be done on a budget and who would do it for me.

The paper shades are temporary and are up there as a stop gap until I find an appropriate solution to my dilemma.

Overall, I am happy with the functionality of this room. It serves as a family room, has a little office nook for me, the recliners also provide a place to nap and stretch out compensating for the lack of a main floor bedroom. We have placed a table with cubbies behind one of the sofas which helps keep clutter at bay.

Please also comment on the fireplace decor. We do not intend to use this fireplace which is wood burning with a gas igniter.
  • visionaire1
    11 years ago
    Your neighbor's set up sounds very strange indeed! I've never seen it before and can't really imagine what it would look like.

You have a very nice room KalilI but agree with the other comments that those vertical blinds have got to go. They wouldn't look so bad if they went to the floor but they stop at a very strange spot.

I think the windows on either side of the fireplace would look great with interlined curtain panels in a green and white patterened fabric similar to the photo michigammemom posted with brushed chrome curtain rods on top with sheer roll ups behind similar to the photo below. You could even put nice wide pelmets in either the curtain fabric or a solid green on the top instead of a curtain rod.

For the two smaller windows I would do roman blinds in the same fabric you use for the curtains with either pelmets or rods, depending on what you prefer. I will attach another photo to show how the two different curtain styles can be used side by side and still work well. If you don't like this look you could always do the same thing you did on the larger windows.

P.S: I love your little fireplace vignette. Very cute.
  • jannielee
    11 years ago
    I didn't mean any offense Kalil. I only commented on the other items as you invited opinions on the room. You have purchased items that will work for you and your family. Since you are happy with the room, that's what really matters. Good luck in your search for window treatments.
  • kalil
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh jannielee, I am not offended at all! I am actually enjoying reading all the comments, the good and otherwise. That's what I am here for. Points and counterpoints is what really helps me figure out a situation well. So readers put forth their suggestions and I then explain why it may not be possible to do it that way. I do like your suggestion of white wooden blinds. I gave a few more details so as to help everyone get a better perspective of the furniture and its arrangement.

BTW, both recliners are motorized and therefore have to be placed close to an outlet. We went for a darker color because I have heard of the color from people's jeans rubbing onto and showing up on lighter colored sofas! Don't know if it's true but didn't want to take a chance. I could have placed both recliners facing each other, rather than at a right angle at which they are now, and have both chairs along the wall opposite to the fireplace. But then what would happen is that one would see a long wire jutting out from behind the sofa even while standing at the main door and also from the hallway between the main door and the family room. If you check out picture number 3, you will see why it is not possible to have the chairs on either side of the fireplace. If I did that, one of the chairs is going to be right in front of the couch sitting at right angles to the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Wannemacher Interiors
    11 years ago
    I really like vissi87's ideas! Here is another image that is similar to your configuration.
  • kalil
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Like it, thanks wannemacher.
  • PRO
    ASAP Blinds
    11 years ago
    Please see some of our suggestions below; including roman shades, wood blinds, custom stained plantation shutters that look like they would match your rooms decor. Hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    11 years ago
    Did you notice how the vertical blinds bi-furcate your wainscoting? The neighbor's setup you are talking about is for Hunter Douglas Luminettes. They look nothing like vertical blinds, although they operate like them and provide similar functionality. They look more like sheers when hung and then you have the functionality of the vanes to filter out more light. That is an option for you but provides you little color options. Plus they are expensive. I've attached a pic.

As for your questions about 84" drapes - nope. If the blinds are 84" then that would be much too short. Homes as nice as yours typically have custom window treatments, otherwise they are in the stop gap phase like you currently are. There are almost no products available in standard sizes that will work for your space.

I like the colors you're using and think you should just hang wooden blinds for now, then get drapes made up when you have the budget. Look for a stripe or subtle print that incorporates some of those lovely colors - the persimmon, the green, the brown. Or you could just pick up the persimmon and do plain drapes, but for the correct fit, they will most likely be custom.
  • kalil
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am sorry for the late response. I thought suggestions had stopped coming in after my last response, so I wasn't checking anymore.

Mona, yes my neighbor has the HD luminettes. Thanks to ASAP and you for the fabulous suggestions and pictures.