Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jpatterson113

Is the bbq enclosure wood? Is that safe?

jpatterson113
11 years ago
Brighton Home · More Info

Comments (17)

• maureenroth
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't do it. Having lived through a bbq fire due to a faulty valve in our 1 year old top of the line natural gas bbq I know that the unexpected can always happen. The only thing that saved our house was the fact that it was a cold very rainy December and the nearby pool shed and back porch were thoroughly soaked and I had come back out to check the bbq because something didn't look right when I turned it off.
  • jpatterson113
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your reply. I think I agree with you. But I like the idea.
  • maureenroth
    11 years ago
    It does look beautiful. Perhaps you could do it in perforated metal, although that would be much more costly.
  • jnesbitt
    11 years ago
    It's a nice look and I agree that fire would be a real concern. You could use a cement based panel like Hardy Board and paint it to your choice of colors. It cuts easily and it's not expensive either.
  • jjjoyful
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The question arises: Is this the actual place they grill? Or, is this simply a storage shed? If it's simply a storage place, what's with the nice awning that is created when the window flips up? If it is storage, they need a disclaimer on the picture for all to see quickly upon first seeing the picture. Otherwise, they need to pull the picture. There are specifications for grills which all fire departments are aware of and enforce when they see violations. Some codes are more stringent than others, and all you have to do is consult your local authorities to find out what applies in your area. Here is but one site among many that offered tips: http://www.cityofmadison.com/fire/prevention/safety/home/grills.cfm A grill should NEVER be enclosed, as both heat and toxic fumes can build up. Heat building up can warp, melt, and even ignite surrounding surfaces. Toxins in the wood of this enclosure can be released and/or broken down when heated to the degree that would occur in close proximity to a grill. I've seen people melt their siding and warp their wooden fences when the grill was too close. You should never operate a grill under an enclosure unless the heat is vented out the top. This picture should have a clear disclaimer that this is a storage shed and NOT the place where grilling takes place - or pull the picture entirely. Untold calamity could occur if someone were to copy this design. I've heard naive people say, "If it's in the news, it must be true." Well, people might equally think, "If it's pictured in houzz, it must be OK."
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    I would call two people a the person who built it and the person who gave him the permit. Actually 3 none of us here can answer that question, there could be halon like on a yacht, some kind of fire treated wood.
    I can not answer this, bit I would find out with as many fires that are started by BBQ what happens if it is your fault and your insurance says no, and if someone were to get hurt.
    Responsible for the health safety and welfare of the public architects and manufacturers.
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    My take on this is: When the front is opened, it shield's the grill master from say, rain/snow/hot sun. Maybe the walls are tile that looks like wood? I'd say, maybe the ceiling/roof, over the grill has an exhaust? *It does have lights (for late night grilling?)
    I have seen many ignorant ppl melt the side of a vinyl-clad rental house.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I can walk two doors down and see melted vinyl siding on my neighbors house. Happens faster than you think!
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    I agree!
    Ignorant ppl do not have common sense.
  • jjjoyful
    11 years ago
    We built a new cedar privacy fence. A week later, a new renter moved in next door, positioned his grill one foot from our shared fence, with the back of the grill to the fence, and fired it up two nights in a row in 100+ degree weather. The fence bowed, but only right behind the grill. We asked him to move the grill when we noticed what had happened, which he gladly did. He had no idea it could get hot enough behind the grill to do that. We are glad it didn't catch anything on fire.
  • PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    11 years ago
    My take on this barbeque enclosure is stay away from any wood or flamable products anywhere near a possible 600' source of heat..Simply crazy..
    If you want this look, go for ceramic tiles that look like slats of wood..Make sure any framing is also out of aluminum or steel..The opening cover can also be manufactured out of aluminum for the lightweight ease of opening it..it is possible to create this look without having it burn down..
    Personally have seen a few barbeques malfunction, luckily they didn't destroy anything..
  • PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    11 years ago
    Maybe Vikrant has the correct application here..it is possible this product was used in this awesome barbeque enclosure..
  • Debbie
    11 years ago
    I found the place one can purchase porcelain, rather than aluminum--sold by the minimum tonage!
    I do believe this is the product used!
    Really--very smart design. Porcelain vs aluminum:
    http://www.calibex.com/tiles-wood-porcelain/zzcalibex2zB1z0--search-html
  • fredsdesigns
    11 years ago
    It looks as if it's made from Ipe (e-pay) wood, an exotic hardwood that carries a Class A fire rating... the same as concrete, tile and metal, so it would be ok to use in this situation as long as they used a masonry or metal studded core structure. I would probably use stainless steel right around where spatters from cooking are more easily cleaned. The grease would also probably darken the wood over a period of time. I would also make it a little deeper to make sure the top had enough clearance when fully open. A vent hood would also be a good idea to keep bbq smoke from getting in the house.
  • Kate Zuccala
    3 years ago

I’d like to get someone to give me a quote on this for my place? Any suggestions?

• Alvin Lawrence
    3 years ago

@fredsdesigns I'm going to build this for our home, and the materials that you listed are precisely what I'm using.