Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cweyer8622

Final details on kitchen remodel

cweyer8622
11 years ago
Finished the big items now I am stumped on backsplash, hardware and whether to do lighting over island.....all ideas appreciated.....

Comments (9)

• bwenk
    11 years ago
    Hi there. I would not add lighting over island but rather would change the shades on your current chandelier to either match chairs or chrome finishes..sounds strange but ck out Ballard design and their shades. Then add a rug under table with design but bringing in color of your window TX in kitchen.
    Backsplash is different story..depends on how dark you want to go. U have dark anchor pieces..valance/island/kit chairs so maybe those tones in the backsplash.
    You could also go with chrom-ish chandelier shades..different chairs,valence...go lighter with those and add a "cool" light gray glass backsplash...lol if u want to change all that
  • lucindalane
    11 years ago
    It comes down to what your own tastes are, really. We can advise and suggest, but only you know what appeals to you, and what doesn't. Right now, you have a very nice, up-to-date kitchen, but its very neutral. The cabinets are white, the island and counters are dark, and the appliances are stainless steel. You can go with a neutral backsplash, or you can opt to use the backsplash to bring in some color. Its all in what you want. So, are you a person that like some colorful items, or do you like neutral tones in general? Even the lighting fixture is white, so, if I were to make a guess, I would say that either you like neutral tones, or you were trying to go for that in terms of style.
    The best thing to do-if you haven't already-is to just look at the great selection of kitchens out here in the photo section. Just type in "white kitchen dark island" in the search box and see what you come up with, and see if something clicks with you. Then you can adapt ideas to suit your own particular sense of style.
  • bprince300
    11 years ago
    Your kitchen looks very nice with the crown moldings over the cabs. Using a 'burnished' hardware (silver tone, rubbed with black into the details) on the white cabs would pull it all together with your stainless appliances and dark countertops. I used 'burnished' pewter hardware in my laundry room on white cabs with moldings and dark countertops - similar color scheme to yours and love it - richer looking than just a brushed or silver tone. Check out "ATG stores.com" to see their 'traditional' styles of hardware - thousands to choose from - you can print out life-size images and hold them up on the cabs to compare/decide.

As your cabs go all the way to the ceiling the backsplash is the only opportunity to introduce some color. Your stove has its own higher backsplash and the opposite wall area probably doesnt need one. Consider just framing the entire window area behind the sink/wet areas up to sill level with tile and painting the remaining walls or use a simple white tile and do it all. Classic simplicity never goes out of style. If you keep it white tones or soft gray , you can always bring in/change color with fabric items and decorative accessories on the countertops, tablecloth, cushions, live plants, etc. .

A white blind on the window would reduce heat/glare and with your valance, provide a place for color accent too.
    I like the graceful white dining chandelier - lamp shades would be a nice color accent - drape/cover one first with something fabric to help decide color, or buy a couple of different colors, try them on and return those you dont use.
    Your island may not need a fixture, but as a working surface and not a seating area you do have the option for closer task lighting or a pot rack. I hung a pot rack with two light fixtures in it over a work/seating island so although I dont use mine to hang pots, I find it useful to have the lighting closer to the island's work surface and I keep certain vintage tools on top of the steel grid and dry herbs there too.
    Would love to see your finished kitchen - enjoy it !
  • PRO
    Debbie Lanza
    11 years ago
    Have you considered a stainless steel tile back splash...I'f you paint the walls a more muted color it would make the white cabinets pop
  • noahsmom12
    11 years ago
    I would go eith a bright backsplash picking up a color from somewhere in the dining room perhaps a glass tile.
  • charliemycat
    11 years ago
    http://www.mariakillam.com/2010/12/which-backsplash-tile-goes-with-granite.html This is a very nice site for choosing back splashes.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Hi cweyer8622,

I would definitely add lighting for the island because it should have task lighting. If you're concerned with breaking the line of sight of the range wall, you can use recessed cans instead of pendants.

You have many options for the back-splash. A subtle subway tile or a mosaic would work well, it could pull some color from the floor or perhaps a variegated mosaic with shades of grey, to unite the counters and cabinetry.

Here's an example which could be add a layer of detail with out being too busy. http://www.glasstilestore.com/collection/stone-mosaics/stone-mosaic-blends/torpedo-1-4-x-random-alaskan-blend-pattern-marble-mosaic-tiles-torpedo1-4xrandomalaskanblend.html

Whatever your choice, I would not go too dark with it though as it could look heavy.

Steve
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    Looks like your countertop is black and the island top is wood so if that is the case, I would do a backsplash in glass tile a mix of black, brown & white to tie everything together. Then get a wood blind that have the colors of the floor and island top. Choose some color as an accent like tomato red or another color you like. Is the island moveable or permanent? If it is permanent you could add a hanging light but just one because the island appears too short for two.