Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri2kay

Need Help with Family/Living Room

bri2kay
11 years ago
Ready for a change and while I appreciate the 'modern' look of monotones and clean lines, I have to say I really need a GPS to get there! Due to a previous family situation, we have a very FULL family room.

We were going for Tuscan theme and then trying to make everyone comfortable it went to overcrowded. I've posted photos of where I am and where I'd like to be. And that's where the HELP comes in :)

1) I'd like to play with furniture placement but not sure what the best layout is
2) Like leather (dog, husband, & kids), like the comfort of recliner but hate the look, would LOVE cabinets flanking fireplace, interested in modern sectional or half round sofa if it can work
3) Lots of space, light, and height but no plan

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Comments (26)

• PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Hi Bri2Kay & decoenthusiaste. Bri2Kay - you've got a great room w/lots of potential.

decorenthusiaste - That is a great find, almost spot on. Bri2Kay you could use your current furniture & just add some great accessories and new art. Love the idea of the accent wall.

If you want to go more modern, I found some here on Houzz too.
    Contemporary and Casual Living room · More Info
    . Not sure why the pic is coming out small at the bottom of my comment, maybe it will be bigger when I hit submit.

If you want to go very modern, take a look at this sofa & loveseat from Zuo - we are adding Zuo to our collections this weekend. http://www.zuomod.com/en/modern/products/providence-sofa (The sofa is about $1600 and the loveseat about $1400)

A sectional is a good idea if you are going to keep this as the tv room. Don't like the half-circle-ish sectionals though - they are hard to make work in your average room. But, that's me.

I'll look around for some more ideas. Do you have a deadline for redoing the room?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • lauraa99
    11 years ago
    If you like recliners but not the look, check out lazyboy. They have sofas with hidden recliners. You can get both fabric and leather like this. We have one, and they're super comfy. Good luck with the redo!
  • trc59
    11 years ago
    I have two full size white leather sofas and truly love the "no care" they give a family with children and dogs. Located a recliner that doesn't look like a recliner (see the red one in the picture from decoenthusaiset) because I hate the recliner look as well. Added a great glass coffe table so no worries about anything that is put on it. This was 10 years ago and still love the very neutral pieces. Have been able to change the look around several times with paint, pillows, rugs etc. A large investment that was well worth it. Much easier to rearrange the sofas than with a sectional.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I, too, love the inspiration photo posted by deco, and to achieve that look I think you'll have to sell off your existing leather pieces. Attractive recliners DO exist! I like the Pavia recliner offered by Macy's.

They also have attractive contemporary leather sofas at $999 to $1499 on sale which I admire. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/pavia-club-recliner-chair?ID=281645&CategoryID=35368#fn=MATERIAL%3DLeather%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D29%26ruleId%3D74%26slotId%3D18 http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/milan-leather-sofa-86w-x-36d-x-34h?ID=251084&CategoryID=35419&LinkType=#fn=MATERIAL%3DLeather%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D131%26ruleId%3D74%26slotId%3D35
  • bri2kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for the info and ideas everyone! WOW I just discovered houzz and I'm hooked!!

@deco the inspiration photo is really a great blend of the 2 looks and certainly a keeper. :)

@essentials its funny because I look at this room and think the same thing! Lots of potential and what's my problem?! I think I've just been yearning for a new look and that leads to colors, a funkier layout... now I'm just stuck. Probably wouldn't go ultra modern and I agree that the half circle was not going to work, but sectional is still in the running. Zuo looks great but $400 pillows are definitely not in the budget. I'm more for spotting the expensive look and then find a resourceful way to duplicate it types.

@Laura in fact our recliners ARE from Lazyboy - while at the time (which was quite rushed) I appreciated the variety of fabrics to choose from, I must say I'm not impressed with the quality. We've had major service done on both chairs and parents we're not big people :/

@trc I'm happy to hear that white leather performs well also, I probably would never have considered that color if you didn't mention how well it holds up to family use!

@Carolyn - You read my mind!! I've recently been exploring other recliner options because I don't think 'the man of the house' will let them go and the Pavia style is exactly what I saw online someplace? And I absolutely love the couch! And the Macy's prices are reasonable so when I change my mind again in a few years, I'll be guilt free :)

Re: Layout - so do we all agree that the 'standard' layout of 2 sofas with 2 chairs at the end would be best? Does anyone have suggestions for sectional layout? Sectional inspiration photos and overall layout plans for both sectional and sofa(s) with accents would be GREATLY appreciated. Apparently I'm a visual person! :)

Thank you again!!! This has been such a GREAT HELP and wonderful experience.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Hi bri2kay! I agree, Houzz is fantastic! I do like the standard layout of 2 sofas with 2 chairs. It is a nice comfy setup, especially for guests.

I like the sofa and recliner Carolyn suggested. And, as I mentioned, I really like the photo decoenthusiaste suggested.

Here's a pretty neat-o (very technical term) space, which is a combo of the sectional v. 2 sofas look.
    A contemporary, organic space. · More Info
    Don't know anything about it, just started looking for some ideas and came across it. I'll keep looking.

"Talk" to you soon.

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It's interesting to me that in the picture above of the two sectionals that the coffee table cannot be used by anyone sitting on either of the sectionals, but only by the two people perched on the little stools. Those two sectionals would require 2 coffee tables, or two pair of small tables.

In the picture above with the leather sectional and the round coffee table, the table has to be placed so far away from the sectional because of the recliner elements. Again, not very useful.

Two sofas and 2 chairs will work quite well. The combination that I prefer is one sofa and 4 chairs.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I too have noticed that the 18" maximum "rule" i broken often in an attempt to show visual balance. Maybe people don't serve coffee in these rooms anymore! LOL
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hey, it's more often wine at our house!
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    bri2kay - Saw this when I opened houzz.com. Thought of you & this discussion.

White Oaks Renovation Pt. 2 · More Info

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • bri2kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love it ! Thanks for thinking of me :)
  • bri2kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ugh! Just looked at 'Before' photo and I have a long way to go. LOL
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Baby steps, bri2kay. It will all come together. :)

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • joaniek
    11 years ago
    I'd go with a sectional with built-in recliner if you want to get the most seating into the space (and if you have a growing family, that's key. They come in leather and would give you a lot more seating in the same space as your current couch/recliner with a cleaner, sleeker look. Then have a couple of accent chairs on the opposite side of the room.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    Hi bri2kay - wanted to see how you were doing w/your room!

Also thought you (& the other Houzzers here) may want to share some advice with jdicianni who has a very similar room she is trying to redo. Here is the thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-with-family-room-makeover-please-dsvw-vd~254942

Hope all is well!

Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    11 years ago
    bri2kay - thanks for visiting the other thread! Great advice!

~Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    First, expand the tiny fireplace surround so your house has better proportions. Get rid of all the photos. I mean put them in an album. Find an area rug with color that sets the tone for the whole room. The color can be subdued if that is what you like. Last of all, shop for some furnitrue that reflects the style you want. But until you revise the fireplace, nothing will work for you.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    Old post Nov. 2012
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Your idea, is to have a lighter look? First paint. Use any of the soft grays from Benjamin Moore. Then arrang furn to look at Firepl and TV. Float furn a dark gray micro swede. Is child proof and is cozy. Get a L shape, go big. You didn't say how many people would sit here? But a 3 s after with right side return in 3 seats should work. A very big coffee table 36" square in a reclaimed wood. It's a gray look. Paint trim white. Go white linen panels on ends of windows. Accessories in silver. You could put a Bombay type chest on either side of firepl. With very tall mirrors over them. In a silver frame. Ck TJMax. By windows 2 chairs in a gray print with some accent color. Add a small silver table between them. I like yellow or teal with gray. Use that accent color on chest, coffee table. A sofa table behind sectional with silver base lamps with white drum style shades. Add a couple of accessories, like plants books candles. On wall with pic on it now. Get a bigger 40x40 art piece. Z Galleries has fun things, also IKEA. IKEA has a black and white city, of London, New York, that would work hang low. Nothing on mantel. Keep things simple and uncluttered. If the n budget you might reface firepl with stacked stone, to bring it up to date.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Remove all small pictures and items from walls. You have too much brown, one reason room isn't working.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Area rug 8x10 in grays with a print. Instead of fan go a drum style chandelier, in a dark gray. Drop from ceiling 3 ft. If it doesn't interfere with TV.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    old post
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    If you want to put feet up. Try a big square leather ottoman in accent color instead of table. Or a zebra would work for fun. Step out of your brown box. Lightening up colors will open space more.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Sorry just realized this post is from 2012. Sure hope you have found something you like. Don't know why this old post would show up now. It's a waste of time.