Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princefam

Need help! Stuck decorating...

princefam
11 years ago
I recently moved to a new house in Florida and have purchased a few items, but just can't seem to "get it"! I have bought and returned so many things and I am frustrated! It is a single space for foyer, living and dining rooms, and the living room is this long, awkward space!
- I just purchased the Barcelona chairs/stools but I am on the verge of returning them (all too white!)
- I am waiting for a low, white, square coffee table (made by my husband)
- i have looked at hundreds of dining chairs and can't decide on a color/style
- the suzani -- i keep thinking it is too big. Maybe i should use it for something else (pillows?)
Any suggestions appreciated!!

Comments (254)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Very much like the sofa against the wall. Good anchor with rug. How about trying the mirror on the Suzani wall, centered to reflect your seating area?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Like those wire chairs actually! nice contrast to the couch, etc.. Love the rug but it seems a bit small--maybe a sisal underneath?

Mirror maybe could go on the bench wall, or is that the same as the old Susani wall. Looks like you are tring a few different arrangements. Could maybe go to where the tree is to service more than one area perhaps.

Oh, I see the other chandelier! It is bigger than I thought and lighter Shame to hide something like that. Almost looks like you could bang your head on it there. I wonder if it would look good over the table?
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    I stepped out, but think it may be time to get back in!

A good stage play is only rehearsed four weeks before presenting........there's reason.

This space is getting way over worked...

But as long as the owner likes it, its all good.

However, my thoughts are the l.r. rug is too small, and the wire chairs really need to be rethought
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    lol sorry the thing got stuck....not meaning copy all those times
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Gary, she is only trying things she has on hand just to get a feel for a conversation area in the dining area.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    silly me
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Gary it happens sometimes, but you can go back and delete all the extra comments.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    I'm not feeling the dining/LR switch. Looks awkward. Plus, Princefam says when they entertain they are in the LR and lanai, and eat in the dining room. Little time is actually sitting at the dining table per se. Your table doesn't seat 12-13 people anyway, so I wouldn't put in the BIG LR space! Also..princefam..don't be afraid of executing your eclectic style just because you returned the barcelona chairs. You can do it! Modern chairs with your dining table (ugh the parsons chairs!). Your modern coffee table with your traditional looking wing chairs/sofa. You are getting the dropleaf, right? Anyway, I'd wait until you have together the items you definately "must" use in your spaces post photos for arrangement ideas.
  • Billie G
    11 years ago
    I cannot help myself but add another, probably annoying comment. Why not add a little portion of the wall to the left of the sofa as it is now? That would create another little hallway with a door connecting the wall with the mirror and the side table, and separate the bedroom and the bathroom from the possible LR/DR. That way that area would get a bit more privacy and can act as a real room as oppose to just a walkway. Just a thought. Hope you don't mind.
  • PRO
    CUTmodern
    11 years ago
    I like the complementary colors, but you might want to mix the space up with some modern textures. Have you considered an oak bench as a room divider? What about something like this Nelson-Inspired Bench from CUTmodern.com?
  • princefam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Billie and all...thanks!!! There is no such thing as an annoying comment!! The more the merrier! I am embarrassed to admit that we have been here for several months and i focused on other rooms (fam rm, guest rm, kids rm) while obsessively thinking on HOW to to the lr/dr. I waited for my parents and all relatives to visit to get ideas... But nope.
    So by all means!
    I really appreciate everybody's time and thoughtful comments!!
  • princefam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I cannot move the mirror without a handyman... It is sooo heavy! But i like the idea of the mirror on either hallway if the dr/lr are switched. Couch is 108 long 42 deep. Would 2 couches facing each other be too bulky?
    I am going to move it tomorrow to face the sliding door...(need hubby to move back the dining table)
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    For the blinds I would recommend using a panel track with a sheerweave fabric. It is now possible to achieve the bamboo/grasscloth look in vinyl. the product breathes and if you used the Hunter Douglas Skyline it would would not " bounce around" even if you left the doors open.

www.blindsdirectcanada.com
    http://www.hunterdouglas.ca/channelnet.aspx?cn=SiteBuilder&act=View&crt=SiteKey=11%26PageKey=494
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    You are a very busy girl. Keep shoving pieces around and taking pictures. How do you feel about the area when you sit in the sofa and in the wing chair, in their current positions? Also, I want you to take a look at the table where it is (with the leaves out) and place chairs around, and tell me if it feels as though it has enough length and heft to carry the room. I can see only what I see on my monitor and I'm feeling the table may not be enough to carry the space? So, if you are also having the same experience, then we need to revisit previous options, as I am assuming you are not willing to part with your "splurge" table. Your being in the room gives you a certain advantage, so it's important to listen to your gut, believe what you see and don't try to second guess yourself.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I'm very curious about the wood feature wall you posted. No one has responded so I would like to ask what your intention would be with the addition of wood. You would have a certain expectation and I would very much like to understand your thoughts.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Regarding your mirror...Whether you have a seating area or continue to have a dining table and chairs in that space, the mirror will have the same effect. I believe the wall where the Suzani was might be the best space for your mirror. Perhaps something else can go on the opposite wall which is on the foyer side. Do we have photos of that "d.r." wall that ends up in the foyer? Also, do we have a photo looking down the hallway on the other side (where the Suzani was)? So far, I've not been happy with the mirror. It would not have been my choice, however, that is not to say that it can't be of good service in the best location....to reflect and to create more visual space.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Ah, the wood wall...well, it seems very premature to be thinking about backgrounds for spaces when princefam has not yet determined where things will go. She seems to indicate she's on a tight budget, but then throws in the idea of a wood clad wall. On a tight budget, I'd be considering paint, tho I agree that a tiled home in Florida could do with some wood to warm it up. So it's a nice concept, princefam, to keep on the back burner. But for MUCH later. Hold that thought!
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    When something comes up, it needs to be addressed. Asking questions creates the opportunity to fully understand what is thought to be missing and/or what is thought to be advantageous for whatever reason. Questioning always elicits honest thoughts which has to do with intention. Nothing needs to be back-burnered because it is of utmost importance to understand what is going on in the process of thinking and creating. It is my belief to listen to and understand the homeowner is our utmost priority. We would never want to be guilty of tamping down ideas because of our preconceived ideas of budget, need and priority. Everything that is brought up is worthwhile. It is our responsibility to always explore everything that comes up.
  • kaklopp
    11 years ago
    I think you're doing alright so far, however the chairs in front if the mirror need to be angled in to create depth.
  • kaklopp
    11 years ago
    Add drapes
    Angle in the chairs by the mirror to create depth
    Paint?
    Add a coffee table
    Move the white leather chairs. Preferably to the store where you got them. They don't match the style if this room.
    Good luck!
  • millie55
    11 years ago
    Hope I am not repeating what someone else has already said but I think you have some lovely furniture just it is all in a row. It looks like a waiting room. Can you break the space up by putting a set of chairs or if poss the couch across the room so to divide the dining area from the living area. I agree to put he two ottomans close together to form a coffee table type arrangement. Try to bring the other furniture a little in from the walls. Wish I had some Barcelona chairs. Lucky you!!
  • princefam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Regarding the wood wall: my husband can do it. He asked for some wood samples from a store called "elmwood reclaimed timber". The reason? We THINK that could break up the feeling of box/waiting room/ bowling alley by creating a focal point and warming up the room... Though, with no design background, we are not SURE that it will help break up the feeling of "long-ness" As i am learning, a perpendicular object (couch facing window) will! I will try that today.
    In retrospect, a sectional would have been a good idea!
    THANK so much to all!!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Okay, beat me senseless and then I am out. I have scrolled this thread at least ten times. I have stared at princefams pics and challenging layout. Go back and look at her picture of the family room with the little banquette eating area. ........do children grow or am I crazy? Where in heck will a forty inch diameter table on top of a narrow doorway be useful for very long? Even with leaves! Where will homework be tended to? Where will the school projects be done? Mmmm? This was a house "designed" with more adult entertaining in mind. At a time when you "hid" the ugly family functions. Florida is an odd duck relative to the rest of the country in many building scenarios, and while all the above efforts to "save" and use purchases made by the owner are very kind, at some point you have to step back, stop worrying about suzanis, and mirrors, and wood walls and get the functioning pieces in the house in proportion to scale of rooms and use of the rooms/ their best function. All the other stuff... not yet. The length of the bowling alley is not really a big issue. With the right table and chairs, the right storage/ accent pieces, the labels off what the builder called "rooms" , it is more than possible to make super looking functional spaces. Really hate to say it, but the " big splurge" dining table should have been ten years up the road. A HUGE simple, clean lined farm table at 54 x 120 in a forgiving rustic finish for half the price, with modern chrome/vinyl and wipeable armchairs around it might have made more sense. A long server/buffet piece to hold the usual and UNusual with a major sized canvas or mirror above.... a couple of super pendant lights. Some proportional comfy chairs added to the long sofa from RH ...(.in the old dining location.)
    Failure to plan is to plan to fail. But a design mistake is not death either. It's a fixable thing. It starts with how you live, and how you would like to live. And a plan. Anything else is buying, and buying and returning, and spinning wheels. That's how you get to "in retrospect" and in answer to that, I would say you will sit in a "living" room and do.....what? Or will you be in the kitchen/family room? And looking for a place for ten adults and pile of kids to have a meal on a rainy day, or even to spread out a big work in progress homework project? Sorry.... just asking!!
  • donzeiser
    11 years ago
    I think you guys are all a little burnt on this topic. That said, I can use some advise on my post, https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-cocktail-tabless-will-pull-together-my-2-new-sofas-dsvw-vd~262815

:)
  • princefam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jan-- you are right and I know it! We want to be able to build a green home down the line, and for now this box will do. I am just trying to be happy when I open the front door and not defeated, like I feel now! The kids are 3 and 5 and for now homework in the kitchen is OK (older one is in K) both at the granite bar and and the dining banquette my husband is finishing up which will need a round table Later on, one of the bedrooms (behind the "dr") is now my study plus a daybed, and in time I will make that into the kids' study so they can have peace and quiet.
    That being said, i prefer the dr where it was just because i like seeing the lr from the foyer when I fist come in, as the main rm, and not the dr.
    You are a really talented and practical designer. I really appreciate your input! Now i know why people get designers involved from the planning of the house :).
    I just need help now in making choices for lr and dr to de-box it, and feel better about our box :))
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    I get it hon, I really do. Love the one you're with! With that in mind....get some in-person design help at your home to help you see that which is not yet THERE, and PAST what is there. Because that is what good design help and a hammer on your head will do for you : ) Stop twisting in the wind!? Three thousand suggestions will only further confuse you and the rooms, and the key is to LISTEN to someone with whom you feel comfortable, and get UNSTUCK. At the pace you can afford, and yes... a little patience will undoubtedly be required.
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    There are so many comments and I tried to read most of them but I started just scanning so don't know if this has been suggested yet but here is a visual I put together for you. I feel that as you want to keep most of the existing furniture you have to find a way to make it work for you as is. Get the space planning nailed down first and then worry about the accessories.

The room and the furniture is to scale as much as it can be with the plan and measurements you supplied above.

The only piece I added is the sofa table to break up the view from the rear.

Edited to add: I just had a thought while looking at the floor plan - you could add a buffet behind the sofa to do double duty for the dining room and living room areas.
    Cheers
    Mary
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Yes, sometimes we move everything around only to find we were on the right track (with rooms' functions!) all along.

Do understand how walking in and seeing the dining table would be better than have someone at the door see everyone lounging around the "living room". And I really like the plan just posted by Mary Dancy. The sofa facing the window really helps to break up that long narrow space! Plus, nice to look out window and buffet behind sofa so functional!

Just wanted to pass along that you can hire a designer by the hour. I found one thru a friend many years ago (young and on strict budget!) and I would have her over a couple of hours at a time. I would have list of questions and pictures cut out, etc.

Never forget the first time she walked in and said, "Oh, you are doing French Country." and me thinking, "So, that's what this is!".
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Agree with pcmom. The exercise of asking the question and having so many responses can be very confusing and/or informative. What you have achieved thus far is a better understanding of what the problem was, what direction seems to be best and will now be able to hire a designer by the hour. The more a client knows and understands about his/her needs the better the success of a project. You will have made notes on comments you can relate to. You now understand how your needs will be met according to the layout. So your time here on Houzz has been extremely valuable. So, with the most recent floor plan with the sofa facing the window is a good one and has always made sense. However, you would not have been able to see that earlier as it has been suggested numerous times. Let us know how you progress and what you and your designer come up with. Also, be certain to share this thread with your designer as the reading of it will better assist in informing the designer of your wants and needs. We are always here and are happy to help but it is now time for you to reach out to a local professional. You have been a joy to work with and it has been great fun for all of us.
  • princefam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks to all :))))))))
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Good luck! :)
  • PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    11 years ago
    My pleasure!
  • Ramona
    11 years ago
    I spent too long here reading all this instead of doing my work. At least this thread inspired me to post a discussion about my living/dining room!! I will wait until the chairs I am having recovered get here.

As to your dilemmas:

I love your dining table; don't let anyone drag you down about it.

I like the idea of making the living room into the dining room and turning the rug was an absolute necessity.

I think your 'new' living room can be made inviting with some inspired thinking.

You have a wonderful design sense and are feeling your way. Don't waste money and time buying things endlessly and returning them.

Finding dining room chairs is very difficult. There are tons of ugly choices out there.

What sort of style do you like for dining room chairs? I've been searching forever.

I have just found a set on Ebay I am negotiating on.

Good luck. Good have good instincts. You just need practice.
  • PRO
    Отделка и дизайн
    11 years ago
    У вас прекрасный минимализм но для души можно немного витражей текстиль в стиле прованс Удачи Я из РОССИИ и у нас сейчас мало солнышка -потому такой совет Спасибо
  • PRO
    Отделка и дизайн
    11 years ago
    У вас прекрасный минимализм но для души можно немного витражей текстиль в стиле прованс Удачи Я из РОССИИ и у нас сейчас мало солнышка -потому такой совет Спасибо
  • sondramartina
    11 years ago
    Lady from Russia is advising :
    You have a beautiful minimalism but for the soul can be slightly stained textiles in the style of Provence fun.
    I'm from RUSSIA and now we have a little sun, because this site.

Thank you Google.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Indeed God Bless Google, the internet, and peace and freedom.... everywhere. For design and all the more important stuff. Happy holidays, no matter what you celebrate!
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Does princefam win for the most responses? :=) Amazing....
  • millie55
    11 years ago
    Hear hear to the wonders of google Internet and interior design from New Zealand too. Merry Christmas and would loooooove to see the final result posted.
  • millie55
    11 years ago
    Hear hear to the wonders of google Internet and interior design from New Zealand too. Merry Christmas and would loooooove to see the final result posted.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Hi princefam! How are you doing? I saw this eclectic space and thought of your tapestry so I thought I'd share with you.
    The Parker Palm Springs/Becky Harris · More Info
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Oh noooooooooooooooo!!!! Not until after xmas!!! I am certain ms princefam is shopping at Toy r Us or...wherever!! Santa goes to Florida, yes ? : ) Then another 100,000 helpful responses for the New Year perhaps! Merry!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    For sure Jan..I really wasnt expecting a response from princefam! Just wanted to post while I had the photo pasted. : )
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Darzy,
    I am still laughing.......Merry Xmas /HNY!
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    Jan, I don't see what is so hilarious or even remotely funny. I saw a photo and thought of princefam.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 years ago
    Darzy,
    I am not laughing at you, I was laughing at the size of the thread as pointed out in a comment prior to your post, and the thought of another 1000 ( ? )approx of them after xmas.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    okay
  • princefam
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Darzy, thank you so much! I love the picture! I appreciate it ! Have a great holiday!
  • PRO
    Bargain Backer, LLC.
    11 years ago
    Possibly add some wall decor???
    Or even a wall fireplace.?? We have some lovely wall fireplaces from Holly & Martin.
    Just have a look http://www.bargainbacker.com/FIREPLACES-AND-ACCESSORIES_c_4779.html
  • PRO
    Barcelona Designs
    6 years ago

Since you already have the Barcelona Chairs there, have you considered getting a
    Arco Lamp? It'll not only add to the decor but it will also give gorgeous look to the entire room.

Check out from our product

https://www.houzz.com/products/arco-lamp-black-prvw-vr~85280491