Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanessa_thomas

Need ideas on choosing an exterior paint and trim colors!!

Vanessa Thomas
11 years ago
Bought a fixer-upper and I need help in choosing an exterior color for the house and trim as well as for the porch.

Comments (13)

• houssaon
    11 years ago
    What a charming house! Here are some great palettes:
    Modern Cottage Exterior · More Info
    Craftsman Second Story Addition · More Info
    Craftsman Cottage - Rosedale Ave · More Info
    and
    Custom Craftsman Home Exterior · More Info
  • drnd
    11 years ago
    You can have a lot of fun with just paint on this little charmer. Think of the "painted ladies" of San Francisco where the wood surfaces are all different but complementary colors. All your window frames can be for example burgundy while you keep the gray/blue siding. Or yellow sidings with green trims. All the trim does not have to be the same color. For example with the green window frames you can have yellow /gold/trim around the roof lines and down the drain. A friend of mine painted her house coral with eggplant shutters which of course looked black until you came up close. Paint the door a brick red to patch the brick pilings. The porch siding can be a different color from the main house, if you feel daring. Not real different, just another shade of the same tone.
  • yvesun
    11 years ago
    There is a lot of homes in this style in my neighbourhood. Deep colours looks amazing on these treasures as would two tones one slightly lighter. I'm seeing a crisp linen on the siding wth white trim and a red door. A carriage house style pendant light on the porch with stainless steel address numbers down the front left post.
    Have fun!
  • Good Taste
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Congratulations. Have you driven around the neighbourhood and seen something you REALLY like? My own experience of looking at the outside of houses is that they look good with monochromatic schemes. In other words, different colours that are lighter/darker/different intensities of the same colour. But that has NO historical basis for your design of house.

Cottage on the Hill · More Info

The above is an example. It could easily cope with a third colour that was lighter or darker or more or less intense than the two it already uses. Pls post after pics!!!
  • Vanessa Thomas
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ymcs, I think I will try your color suggestions. It is closer to the color scheme I had in mind. Thank you, everyone for your input you have given me some great ideas to use. :))
  • PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    10 years ago
    Tiny, cute houses like this should always go for more color! Mine is similar. I painted the exterior a cool, medium gray with bright turquoise trim and a bright red door. Such a happy place!! And I added a bright bench in a front sitting area.
  • PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You could also paint it white with aqua and black accents.
    Or bright green with white accents.
    Or purple with yellow accents (yes, there's a house that color here in Austin, Texas).
    Don't go with plain Jane!! Have fun with it.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    There are so many directions you could go with. You could go dark, bright, whimsical. Sounds like a trip to the paint store is in your future.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    By the way, loose the storm door.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would consider taking down the chain link fence as well. A natural pathway and nice landscaping would make this house adorable in many colors;)
  • Jayne
    10 years ago
    NIce house! It has great potential! I agree with Margo on the chain link fence. You could take it down, but leave the posts. Then you can build a white picket fence. On the existing posts, use a bracket to fasten the wood to cover up the post. It would look great with white trim!
  • PRO
    Seek Design & Renovation
    7 years ago

You can do 3 colors that are close to each other on the paint swatches from Sherwin Williams to bring more curb appeal and interest. Paint the house a lighter color, the soffits a darker color and the fascia boards or trim in a medium color. Also, agree about taking down the picket fence.