Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasmine_patterson33

UGLY SIDING! HELP!

Just purchased a house and on our limited budget we'd like to give it some curb appeal. In the long term, we'd like to add a porch and change up the roof line. We know we want to paint but aren't sure what color but are considering white or a shade of green. We'd appreciate color scheme/design idea help!!

Comments (19)

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

I actually like this color. What about shutters?

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    9 years ago

Exterior remodel · More Info

Don't limit your color choices for the exterior, landscaping will do a lot for color depth and texture. Might be better served to landscape rather than paint. It will accomplish two things for the price of one.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

If you really want to paint go for white and dark grey trims. I like the color, but would paint the window trims in dark grey

• Catherine Widdoes
    9 years ago
    Or reverse and paint gray (with a rich blue undertone) and accent your shutters, soffit etc in white. You can pop the door with a strong colour -blue or red would draw a focal point. Good luck!
  • jck910
    9 years ago

I don't think shutters are appropriate for your window size. Technically shutters should be able "to be used" to look right. Meaning they should cover the window when closed. So from your picture you would have very skinny shutters or just a shutter on one side. The picture looks like the siding is yellow but it is hard to tell on the monitor how bright a yellow. Exterior painting is very expensive so I wouldn't start with that. I would paint the front door a dramatic color maybe Benjamin Moore Wrought Iron or Yorktowne Green. Just paint the door and the storm door leave the sidelights as is. Then get some landscaping: bushes, etc.

• PRO
    Sayler | Owens | Kerr design studio
    9 years ago

Add some simple handrails to the sides of the porch....this will give the front elevation some depth and break down the large scale of the wall as you approach the door.... (agree, landscape would go a long way as well) @Eric Owens

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

if you do appropriately sized shutters, and with working hardware they would look very cottage

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

I realize the shutters would need to be narrow to appear to function the right way, but also thought it would give the windows more presence in the front of the home this way. Maybe even a color to tie in the roof?

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Guadalupe remodel · More Info

I wouldn't add shutters, they will be too long and windows are too narrow. Instead, in between the two windows add a lattice/non-invasive flowering vine. Because the home is a single level, painting it yourself should be fairly easy and you can even rent a sprayer. For this small investment, it will be well worth it. I would go with a soft grey/blue per picture and your front door should stand out with a red or black. Add some shrubs and a bench for now, so you don't invest too much and have to rip out when you add a porch.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 years ago

For now look into some nice potted large plant to fill in there... that way when you do some home improvements you could easily replant it elsewhere... you may want to save up and ( depending on what room is on the other side and the layout ) get rid of those 2 windows and put in a nice large window with beautiful gardens underneath... a nice trellis will look good there as well with some beautiful climbing flowers....

Good luck, have fun and enjoy your new home!

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago

Jasmine, thanks for inviting us over . . you have a cape cod house and roofline with a bit of a

contemporary profile narrow window. First, I posted the cottage genre, but then, the modern approach. With the terracotta brick and foundation, and the dark modern windows, I don't think I would try to add shutters and head cottage-y until you are ready to change windows or add the porch / pergolas or dormers. Paint is cheap and changing the color (I'm guessing it isn't your favorite) will give you a new look and then it will feel like yours.

I'm going to suggest taking this towards a sort of mod cottage. We would take the color bravely dark gray so you don't have so much contrast between the dark roof and house . . and add a soft butter yellow door and white trim at the eave / fascia, around the door and sidelights and windows - if you are able - DIY fatter white trim at the two front windows ..

Safe choice: ben moore whale gray http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/whalegray ori f you are willing to be more daring - closer to the photos bm stormy sky http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/stormysky#ce_s=stormy sky

Here's a color that will come out buttery outside on the front door - bm da vinci's canvas. Test all these in your latitude - yellow is very difficult to select without testing in your light but this one is proven . .

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/davinciscanvas

A crisp white trim - study wide trim options here and head towards classic cape cod with the trims you add at the windows . . the dark window sashes will look great against white trim and dark house. You will need to wash the exposed concrete foundation with black paint but the stairs and chimney will be awesome . .. eventually, perhaps wider single or double hung windows with upper muntins . . .

Cape Cod built with vinyl siding · More Info

Swedish Exterior · More Info

Here is a photo of another black house (i didn't go quite that brave since you are new to this house but I think it is so neat) with a brick chimney like yours to show how it can work together . .. if you are brave enough to go darker, warm up your black - you would need a black like bm iron mountain

Cabin in Fitch Bay, Quebec · More Info

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/cabin-in-fitch-bay-quebec-scandinavian-exterior-montreal-phvw-vp~6807477]

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago

ps - congrats on the house - i wish you many years of happiness there. .

• Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    I agree that landscaping can make a big difference. of course, I understand may take time to grow in. Thus, it is not as much of an instant fix as paint.

depending on your zone for gardening. I would put a contemporary trellis and pergola over your front porch. I would investigate climbing plants that will grow in your area. wisteria or a climbing rose with a purple bloom would be nice.

you could extend the pergola the entire length of your house and support with trellis. I would not attach it to your home's structure.

in the planting bed in front of the house. I would use plants to hide the foundation. I would not use a box hedge. I would use plants that are more more sysmetrical. you could consider a color theme such as purple blooms to coordinate with the climbing plant on your pergola.
  • PRO
    Design Intervention
    9 years ago

Here is a better example of one of my projects that speaks to your question about what to do to make a cottage style house more appealing. The attached photo was just a "white box" when my client asked me to make it look "quaint, beautiful and inviting"....on a small budget. In addition to putting in a very drought resistant landscape I added architectural interest to the front entry by adding the Victorian Corbel detailing above the front door.I painted the front door and detail blue. The simple white cottage really came to life with a relatively small budget.

Carmel Cottage · More Info

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago

That cottage from a plain ranch is darling for Carmel California . . but won't translate . . . the extreme slope on a Cape Cod roof and the historic roots of your home architecture means you want to stick with very classic forms and be brave with other signals - like paint colors, landscape and "small details - a more modern mailbox, house numbers/font, lighting ...

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    9 years ago

Primarily the photo was to help the homeowner see the significant impact of color and landscape.

• Jasmine Patterson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow- thanks for all the great advice, everyone! I will pass along the info to my fiance and as soon as we get some work started, we will post an "after" photo.

• Jasmine Patterson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As a side note- luckily, my fiance works in a wood shop (custom staircases) so he can custom-design shutters/ flower boxes/ etc. To clarify, it is a two story house- it's just very steeply sloping so It's hard to see from the front. It's got some great wood floors and character. I love the idea of a gray house with white trim or a white house with gray trim. We're also considering a medium green tone with brown and tan accents. In the meantime, we will get started on flowers and landscaping.