Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
favoritedog

Need Help with Master Bath

favoritedog
9 years ago

We're updating an 80's bathroom. Not changing tub or toilet which are a bisque color. The floor is a sand color brick. So far we've painted the walls and trim. Inside window area will remain stained. Thinking about switching to oil rubbed bronze fixtures and lighting. Should I keep and paint any of the following: the vanity (if so what color)? Countertop? Mirror and sconces? Should I refinish any of the above mentioned or replace? Any suggestions on window treatments? The wall color looks light blue in the picture but it is actually a warm greenish/gray/blue. Was thinking about using a vibrant royal blue and orange as accent colors for this room and master bedroom (bedding and shower curtain).

Comments (17)

• favoritedog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The toilet and tub are the same color as the sink in the picture.

• favoritedog
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am thinking about switching out everything rather than refurbishing. (except the toilet and shower which will remain). The finished look I'm seeking is similar to current traditional bathrooms, for example Pottery Barn style. Also considering a furniture piece for the vanity.

• miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Paint vanity white to match trim and new hardware.
    favoritedog thanked miacometlady
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Light fixture light brushed bronze over a Restoration Hardware Medicine Cabinet
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Go for pop of bold color with a blue /tan or orange/tan shower curtain. Tan trying to compliment bisque.
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Shutters for window treatment.
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    I would keep the cabinet the color it is and change the vanity.top and sink. you might try a soapstone counter top with an under mount sink to match your other fixtures. as for window treatments, I would consider going without if you do not need them for privacy.

what is the flooring?
    favoritedog thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • User
    9 years ago

If a new vanity is in the budget, get one, with a quartz countertop. Custom will be just about the same price as a purchased one, and you'll get drawers and cabinets the way they'll work best for you. The view looks gorgeous, I'd do bottom up shades so you can enjoy it. New sconces and mirror and your MB will be beautiful.

favoritedog thanked User
  • favoritedog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you miacometlady, Kelley Dockrey and adivra for all of your suggestions. Will definitely consider them.

• teenbean
    9 years ago
    I would change out the mirror and the sconces. The space looks too narrow to have two sconces. Maybe put a light above the mirror and then you could get a wider mirror.
    favoritedog thanked teenbean
  • favoritedog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will definitely consider this.

• favoritedog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

miacometlady, where can I check out the shower curtains you suggested?

• PRO
    Construction Guaranteed
    9 years ago

We recommend changing out the vanity, mirror and wall lighting. It is a modest investment and will make all of the difference.

Best wishes.

favoritedog thanked Construction Guaranteed
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    I search on my iPad separately : Orange and tan shower curtain, then blue and tan shower curtain. Using a shower curtain for color rather than painting a wall frees you to change your color on a whim. Shopping at TJMaxx and see a cheap, great shower curtain? No worries! It will go with your neutral palate! Good luck! Have fun!
  • favoritedog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where did you see the one that says Gina?

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Buy a new vanity in a color that goes with the wood trim in the room. Is your mirror large enough. Ikea has some pleated shade for a pittance which will work in the bottom half of the windows with the pleats going vertically. They also provide Velcro if you need it, Take a look at them.Have fun

favoritedog thanked sandradclark