Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicitygal

White washed knotty pine, off center window....ADVICE NEEDED!

chicitygal
11 years ago
Hello all,
long time "stalker" of this site, first time poster!! I have taken on the project of a master bedroom "makeover" and need some advice please!! This room has knotty pine tongue & groove panelling, which was almost a dark orange...solution was to white wash the panelling to brighten it up & still show off the pine, did i mention this was a DIY project? Latex based paint mixed with water and applied 2 coats with a rag. Attached are photos, do you think it needs a gloss coat on top? or leave it?
Also, need suggestions for decor in this room...as you can see I am trying to hid the off center window on the wall that the headboard/bed will be up against, but the other wall is all windows as well. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!! T.I.A.

Comments (10)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    If the window doesn't face the street, you might block it off with something so the light won't show through. I'd seal the walls once you're satisfied with the results. My preference is a satin finish for softness in the bedroom. Glossy is cleanable but too shiny for me.
  • PRO
    House of Holland - TX
    11 years ago
    Definitely lose the drapes - it's kind of hard to tell about the walls since the pictures are so dark.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I think the curtains are distracting. Almost like too much curtain. You could still work with that panelling I think. Lighting seems an issue also. I would go shades with an outer panel maybe if u want to keep curtains? Once furniture is in here, the panel won't be so evident as now...
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    I am not a fan of dark sheer curtains. If you want to keep them, you need to get blinds or shades as was already mentioned.

The pictures you uploaded are really not good for us to see what the walls look like. But based on these photos, I would paint the walls.

There is a lot of darkness at the ceiling where you might not have been able to get the white wash.
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    11 years ago
    The curtains are to distracting. You would get a totally different look with plantation shutters on the windows.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    I think you need to repaint the walls in a solid white or beige paint. The look of the walls now somehow look and feel unfinished.
  • chicitygal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks all, i love plantation shutters!
  • churchconverter
    11 years ago
    Although i think you've done a great job with lime washing i think the panels don't look right in the room as the ceiling is too low. I personally would've painted them. The curtains are too busy as well. Not enough light in this room to have darkish walls and darkish curtains too. Perhaps a white blind and the curtains pulled to the side with white linen on the bed??! Just my thoughts...
  • wrenogade
    9 years ago
    Just visited, and my thoughts are like a few on here. First I would white wash the walls a little more, as they just look like primed walls presently. Also agree with the removal of the curtains, and the possibility of adding plantation shutters (depending on the type of look you are going for). For the small window, you could consider a stained glass picture frame to hang over the existing opening; it would allow light in while at the same time bringing color and art to the room. You might want to toy with removing the paneling on that small window wall and using the exposed studding to incorporate open shelving (all painted white). As for the larger window, build a picture frame with molding, and hang the shutters (or fabric roman shades for a softer touch and different texture from the wood) on the inside of the frame. Definitely keep the accessories and furniture simple so that room does not feel cluttered or overwhelmed by too much. I think it is going to be a very pretty room...and what fun you are having creating it. Please post updated pics. Thanks