Living room is where old furniture goes to retire
fas415
My living room has become the place where my old furniture resides. The room is narrow with a large picture window on one side and a large piece of art on the opposite wall. I'd like to start over ( except for the art). Any suggestions? Photos are taken from different sides of the room.
fas415
I would like to have furniture in the room that would make the room look cozy and inviting, but since the room is narrow I tend to shove the chairs in the four corners. Would a sofa in front of the window be a good choice?
January 13, 2013 at 6:13am   
fas415
Also, I am not adverse to changing the wall color and draperies.
January 13, 2013 at 6:14am   
yvonnecmartin
What are the dimensions of the room? Do the windows under the draperies go to the floor or could furniture be located there?

Do you have an idea book of rooms that appeal to you?
January 13, 2013 at 10:33pm     
The art is fab, the wall color is nice. You are right lose the furniture that has retired and the curtains that are dead. : ) Do you want to go more transitional? What style do you prefer? Can you take a picture from the front entrance? Also, what is the room used for and your lifestyle? Is there any of the furniture you would like to keep/use?
January 13, 2013 at 11:17pm     
cyn222
How about a small grouping of chairs around a coffee table to keep things away from the windows. It should help make the space larger. Going to be honest, lose the drapes. Dated. Good luck and have fun with your decorating.
January 13, 2013 at 11:20pm     
bonvoyage
As you are facing the art:
On the right side just to the edge of the art I would place a love seat with the arm side against the wall
Just behind the love seat place the folding table in photo ( will act like a small sofa table)
Facing the love seat ( on the other side of the art) have two small chairs to create a conversation area
I would place an area rug with some nice color and a small coffee table
Now there is a path in front of the window with the new window coverings
Suggesting some very nice bamboo type roman shade with side panel drapes.
January 14, 2013 at 12:40am     
bonvoyage
I would like to add that changing the overhead light to a modern chandelier would improve the looks of the room as well.

I had suggested an area rug under a coffee table, some say this is not a good idea ( rug on rug)
January 14, 2013 at 1:36am     
fas415
The room is 15' wide and 20' long. The first picture was taken from the entryway. ( Also narrow, difficult to get a good photo.) the windows extend to within 18" of the floor.

I like the grouping ideas. This is primarily a "reading room" since the family room gets the most use. I would like a more contemporary look. The drop leaf table is a family heirloom. The two green recliners can go, as can the end tables. The large brown recliner is also on its way out!
January 14, 2013 at 2:55am   
orangecamera
"Reading room" made me think about Barnes and Noble stores, and public libraries. Think about large (oversized) round coffee table centered in the room, surrounded by comfortable chairs. Be sure to have the room well lit for reading.
January 14, 2013 at 4:33am     
michigammemom
I also love your art as the focal point of the room, but your bulky motion furniture paired with delicate side tables seem out of place. I agree that at least the ruffled valance needs to be removed and I would suggest a smaller scaled sofa on the window wall with a pair of matching chairs and a coffee table to flesh out the room. I like the clean lines of the furnishings in the inspiration photo.
January 14, 2013 at 4:56am     
yvonnecmartin
If its a reading room, you need bookcases. I'm not sure if low or tall, white or dark, would be appropriate. But bookcases in at least one corner with a conversation area around a table would be lovely. Be sure to have comfy chairs with footstools and good lighting.
January 14, 2013 at 8:16pm     
Front door colour
I'm stuck with these house colours for awhile. Soft...
Wood color
Can I use two wood colors in the living room.? Dark...
Fireplace and television spacing
We've just moved into a new home, and we'd like to...