Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fas415

Living room is where old furniture goes to retire

fas415
11 years ago
My living room has become the place where my old furniture resides. The room is narrow with a large picture window on one side and a large piece of art on the opposite wall. I'd like to start over ( except for the art). Any suggestions? Photos are taken from different sides of the room.

Comments (11)

• fas415
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I would like to have furniture in the room that would make the room look cozy and inviting, but since the room is narrow I tend to shove the chairs in the four corners. Would a sofa in front of the window be a good choice?
  • fas415
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Also, I am not adverse to changing the wall color and draperies.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    What are the dimensions of the room? Do the windows under the draperies go to the floor or could furniture be located there?

Do you have an idea book of rooms that appeal to you?
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    The art is fab, the wall color is nice. You are right lose the furniture that has retired and the curtains that are dead. : ) Do you want to go more transitional? What style do you prefer? Can you take a picture from the front entrance? Also, what is the room used for and your lifestyle? Is there any of the furniture you would like to keep/use?
  • bonvoyage
    11 years ago
    As you are facing the art:
    On the right side just to the edge of the art I would place a love seat with the arm side against the wall
    Just behind the love seat place the folding table in photo ( will act like a small sofa table)
    Facing the love seat ( on the other side of the art) have two small chairs to create a conversation area
    I would place an area rug with some nice color and a small coffee table
    Now there is a path in front of the window with the new window coverings
    Suggesting some very nice bamboo type roman shade with side panel drapes.
  • bonvoyage
    11 years ago
    I would like to add that changing the overhead light to a modern chandelier would improve the looks of the room as well.

I had suggested an area rug under a coffee table, some say this is not a good idea ( rug on rug)
  • fas415
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The room is 15' wide and 20' long. The first picture was taken from the entryway. ( Also narrow, difficult to get a good photo.) the windows extend to within 18" of the floor.

I like the grouping ideas. This is primarily a "reading room" since the family room gets the most use. I would like a more contemporary look. The drop leaf table is a family heirloom. The two green recliners can go, as can the end tables. The large brown recliner is also on its way out!
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    "Reading room" made me think about Barnes and Noble stores, and public libraries. Think about large (oversized) round coffee table centered in the room, surrounded by comfortable chairs. Be sure to have the room well lit for reading.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I also love your art as the focal point of the room, but your bulky motion furniture paired with delicate side tables seem out of place. I agree that at least the ruffled valance needs to be removed and I would suggest a smaller scaled sofa on the window wall with a pair of matching chairs and a coffee table to flesh out the room. I like the clean lines of the furnishings in the inspiration photo.
    Concord Green Healthy Home - Living Room · More Info
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    If its a reading room, you need bookcases. I'm not sure if low or tall, white or dark, would be appropriate. But bookcases in at least one corner with a conversation area around a table would be lovely. Be sure to have comfy chairs with footstools and good lighting.