Fireplace surround and built ins need upgrading
triplecitizen
The room is not large so I am leaning toward a less "clunky" look. Style is sort of transitional, display space for art is a must.
TanCalGal
I like the fireplace surround, it seems to blend nicely with your furniture.
I'd paint the walls behind / on top of the white shelving white & center top decorative objects. Leave the fireplace wall accent color. Hang art over FP a little higher (6"?).
January 30, 2013 at 2:20pm   
I like the FP but would consider taking the bookshelves up as high as the lower wall/ceilingjoin on the left. They need to be higher than the art, and this will give more display space. Might paint the backs of them to match the wall color and install some LED lights. If those two large round platters/trays are similar, I would put them to the right and left of the art on the mantel and remove the tiny items. Match the scale of what you have which is really classic and pretty with your chair.
January 30, 2013 at 3:43pm   
triplecitizen
Thanks for the ideas. I guess I am not enamored of the fireplace because it was originally the same as the built ins, with white ceramic tile and hearth. I stripped, distressed and glazed the surround and "faux finished" the tile...now I just see it as amateur ;0). My husband will, however, be thrilled with the idea of minimal intervention!
January 30, 2013 at 8:39pm   
xtalivy
A thumbs up on displaying art/artistic decor! You might want to give more thought into grouping and arranging your display better. it might require bringing in a collection. Everything seems to be randomly set (which looks like the decor I'm trying to improve upon).

You've got a great fireplace mantel, but it's not being shown off to it's full potential. Make a statement with large vases on both sides with something tall to fill in some of the space on the wall behind. Or even a collection of candlesticks with tall candles.

Maybe even run some lights along the back of the shelves. Or add a rail in front so you can hide the lights behind them. Then, put something of dramatic shape so a silhouette can be cast upon the wall.

No colors are pulled together. So, it's not complimenting your artwork. I'm an artist and I think you've got the wrong painting over the FP. What about something that has some medium or bright yellows so it pulls in the color of the walls behind you.

Just a little organization and it will look a lot better. I've spent a lot of time scouring how to display items on bookshelves. So, don't look in my house cause I hope to take my own advice in the months ahead.

Good luck,
Crystal
January 30, 2013 at 8:53pm   
TanCalGal
From here FP is not looking amateurish at all. I'd carry out the same technique on the bookshelves. I think the softer glazed tones would look great (better than the stark white). BTW I like the artful way U have arranged your items.
January 31, 2013 at 8:34am   
Fireplace update --- need ideas (surround vs. mantle vs. built-ins)???
We just moved into our new house and its a blank slate...
Need Help with Built-In Cabinet Upgrade
Hey Houzzers, I need some help! I'm in the process...
Need help with built-ins around fireplace
I need storage, so I was thinking about putting built-ins...
Need help with these built ins and fireplace.
What would you do with this? I am trying to decide...
Need help with built-in bookshelves and fireplace!
Below is our fireplace area, built in 1987 (as if you...
Help me dress my ottoman!
What kind of throw pillows would you use to dress this...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Eucalyptus Floor
Is eucalyptus considered a hard wood and is it as durable...
Need help picking color for shutters on our new house
I am just not feeling the late 80's blue....please...
Acacia matte engineered hardwood flooring?
I'm looking for a matte finish acacia engineered flooring...