Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triplecitizen

Fireplace surround and built ins need upgrading

triplecitizen
11 years ago
The room is not large so I am leaning toward a less "clunky" look. Style is sort of transitional, display space for art is a must.

Comments (5)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like the fireplace surround, it seems to blend nicely with your furniture.
    I'd paint the walls behind / on top of the white shelving white & center top decorative objects. Leave the fireplace wall accent color. Hang art over FP a little higher (6"?).
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I like the FP but would consider taking the bookshelves up as high as the lower wall/ceilingjoin on the left. They need to be higher than the art, and this will give more display space. Might paint the backs of them to match the wall color and install some LED lights. If those two large round platters/trays are similar, I would put them to the right and left of the art on the mantel and remove the tiny items. Match the scale of what you have which is really classic and pretty with your chair.
  • triplecitizen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas. I guess I am not enamored of the fireplace because it was originally the same as the built ins, with white ceramic tile and hearth. I stripped, distressed and glazed the surround and "faux finished" the tile...now I just see it as amateur ;0). My husband will, however, be thrilled with the idea of minimal intervention!
  • xtalivy
    11 years ago
    A thumbs up on displaying art/artistic decor! You might want to give more thought into grouping and arranging your display better. it might require bringing in a collection. Everything seems to be randomly set (which looks like the decor I'm trying to improve upon).

You've got a great fireplace mantel, but it's not being shown off to it's full potential. Make a statement with large vases on both sides with something tall to fill in some of the space on the wall behind. Or even a collection of candlesticks with tall candles.

Maybe even run some lights along the back of the shelves. Or add a rail in front so you can hide the lights behind them. Then, put something of dramatic shape so a silhouette can be cast upon the wall.

No colors are pulled together. So, it's not complimenting your artwork. I'm an artist and I think you've got the wrong painting over the FP. What about something that has some medium or bright yellows so it pulls in the color of the walls behind you.

Just a little organization and it will look a lot better. I've spent a lot of time scouring how to display items on bookshelves. So, don't look in my house cause I hope to take my own advice in the months ahead.

Good luck,
    Crystal
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    From here FP is not looking amateurish at all. I'd carry out the same technique on the bookshelves. I think the softer glazed tones would look great (better than the stark white). BTW I like the artful way U have arranged your items.