2 color of curtains on one window

Andrea Poague
8 years ago

I'm having the hardest time deciding if this is a good idea or not. I
ordered two different color of drapes for our living room. I wasn't
sure if I wanted to go with a grey curtain or a bolder color curtain. I
got the grey ones first and hung those. I thought they looked really
nice. Today I got the dark teal ones. I thought I would try them both
together. Is it ok to have both on one window? I just don't know... Any ideas?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 years ago

I have two colors on my windows- a dark blue with a crinkle pattern and than gray in the middle: very similar setup to what you have here.

Andrea Poague thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • User
    8 years ago

My knee jerk reaction was NO, but without seeing the whole picture I will remain uncertain.

Andrea Poague thanked User
  • Andrea Poague
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's really hard to get these curtains to show up well with a photo. They look so different in person as far as the color contrast. Here's another picture that I lightened up so it looks closer to what they look like in person.

• shiningautumn888
    8 years ago
    Well first of all I believe they are too short. Floor length looks so much better. I like the idea of 2 different color curtains but I think it would look better if they were different materials. Like if the teal was more shear. That would give it more dimension and interest.
    Andrea Poague thanked shiningautumn888
  • shiningautumn888
    8 years ago
    Oh and to fix the too-short drapes you really should return those amd get longer, and keep the rod high like it us (which is the proper placement for an elegant look)
  • User
    8 years ago

How about curtains like these?

Indian Dupioni Silk Curtains · More Info

Andrea Poague thanked User
  • Tina
    8 years ago
    As mentioned curtains need to be longer and I do not like the two curtains together. It looks like they were too skimpy and you bought another set in different colour to make them look wider.
    Andrea Poague thanked Tina
  • Andrea Poague
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I agree. I just don't think they look good together. Also, yes, I know they are too short :) Love that everyone caught that :) I was going to lower the curtain rod enough to make them floor length. Thanks for everyone's feedback! They are going back to the store :)

• shiningautumn888
    8 years ago
    Good when you get new ones get 12" longer as lowering the curtain rod is just going to give you another problem (ie rod being too low).
  • Andrea Poague
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ok, will do :) Thanks again!!!

• HU-674223174
    4 years ago

I say, for now, try the teal color on the outside with the gray in the middle. I like two colors like that but I think the darker might work better on outside.

• PRO
    Vertibelle Creations Ltd
    4 years ago

Using two different-coloured panels opens up a world of possibilities for your window treatments and the overall design of the room. No matter how you use the two panels, they should be made of the same fabric or one should be thinner and lighter than the other, for example, soft sheers paired with canvas or silk curtains. When making your choice, hold panels next to each other until you get the look you want.

Layer Them

Install a double curtain rod, and hang the lightest-coloured panel against the window and the darker one in front of it. This allows you to open each set of panels on its own, permitting privacy or plenty of natural light when desired. Keep the outermost panels off to either side of the window to frame it, or create a more traditional effect by using tiebacks to sweep them away from the center of the window. This look is most often done with a set of sheers and a set of heavier-weight curtains. However, it can work well with panels of the same material in different colours, with the lightest shade kept inside and the darker one in front.

Create a Pattern

Hang each panel, alternating the colours, on one rod to create a pattern. The curtain pocket or hanging mechanism for each panel needs to be the same -- choose hooks, rings or a sewn-in pocket at the top of each panel. Frame the window by keeping the darkest or heaviest-weighted panel on the outermost corners, and use an odd number of curtains so the ending colour on each side is the same.

• Jill Reisinger
    4 years ago

I had the same set up as you do. I always got compliments on them. I did have the darker color on the outside. However, I changed colors in my living room. I changed them to a patterned curtain.

• Irene Morresey
    4 years ago

It can work, but I think the combination of a block coloured curtain and a patterned curtain is more effective, some inspiration and you have the word on them longer

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I think they will look and flow better in paler tones ..more like the fireplace and the flower color on the throw pillow

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I might also remove the white shades ..if you cant use the the curtains for shade then install a more decorative shade inside the window frame ...perhaps a golden bamboo pull down shade or one that matches the window frame

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

This post is 4 years old.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Aaargh...

• Irene Morresey
    4 years ago

Wish they gave a better indication of post dates, so annoying