Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isufan89

Need help with furniture layout and room makeover for split foyer living room!

isufan89
11 years ago
Thanks to all for my foyer entry suggestions! Now I am onto the living room. I've attached 3 pics from 3 angles. Will be painting ceiling white and walls will be Gray Matters by Sherwin Williams (taupey gray - lighter than what I have). I also have a narrow table that I can put behind the sofa or in front of the window and am looking for a round coffee table to refurnish. I'm looking for more warmth and welcome - love the Pottery Barn style but not on that budget :). I would love ideas for window treatments and layout, but will take an ideas at this point. Thanks so much!

Comments (8)

• TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    What is this room used for? Is there a TV that is watched from the sofa or chairs? Do you need privacy at the window? Does the desk need to stay in that location?
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Only one picture came up. I will make a guess that the large recliner is faced towards the tv? Really need more pictures to work off of, but here goes. I'd like to see you create two zones in this room.

Can tv be placed on the wall where the recliner is backing up to? I would bring sofa over to face tv with the rug in front. You of course need a piece for a coffee table. I would put the recliner where the desk now is, and would love that whole back wall where black sofa now sits, to hold a large bookcase/desk.
  • PRO
    3 Day Blinds
    11 years ago
    Hi isufan89,

What a great space to work with! Some colorful drapes could really help bring your room to life with a little kick. Check out our different fabrics here: http://bit.ly/13LPhNr

During the month of April, custom drapes are buy one, get one 50% off!
    http://bit.ly/XglxEc

Happy Decorating,
    3 Day Blinds
  • isufan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of the great responses! The room is our lived in living room :) We watch TV there and use the computer. Other than a wall unit of shelves, etc (those are kind of pricey), what can I do with the wall and space where the couch currently is when I move it in front of the window? If the walls are a grey with taupe influence, what colors would you recommend with the oak woodwork/gray paint? I'm open to changing colors, but don't like anything too trendy. I've attempted to add the other images as well. Thanks again!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I recommend you start shopping furniture consignment stores and craigslist for a couple sets of shelves. They often have very nice furniture at the fraction of the price (many things in my home found at consignment!). You could put a large shelf on each side with a desk in between (and art above desk). Let the owners know what you are shopping for, leave a phone number, and make the rounds often as good things go fast!
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Once you are done with rearranging furniture, try to rearrange your wall art as well. When smaller art pieces are scattered around the room the space looks more cluttered. Best of luck updating your room!... Raisa
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Project Guru gave you some really good pointers, especially about starting out with the window treatments. I would like you to also to be sure the panels are wide enough for the windows. This may mean (if you don't make them yourself) that you do multiple sets per window. And extra panels or ones that coordinate can give you material for some throw pillows, etc.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!