Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timmys_girl

What color should I paint garage doors and trimmings?

Timmys Girl
11 years ago
Buying this rehab....knew the old fella who built it himself....trying to DIY to keep costs down. What color should I paint the garage door and front door? Should I paint the wood between the glass on the bay windows the same color as the door and garage? Thanks so much I am stumped on this :)

Comments (740)

• Kevin Retired Decorator
    8 years ago

They look great !

• Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Kevin for your ideas I will look into combining I have not yet looked into that. We have USAA insurance and love them but we are paying so much per year it's time to shop around.
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    He even made the straps and hinges himself....im so proud!
  • nwduck
    8 years ago

Awesome! And Kev is right about the combo insurance. USAA is supposed to be pretty good, so I'd check them and a few others.

• handymam
    8 years ago

You are right to be proud of your husband, Candace! He is very resourceful and creative! The house looks amazing!

• papoodles
    8 years ago

Your husband IS amazing:-) Love all your updates.Thank you!

• motownmom
    8 years ago

Wish I'd married a "handy-er" man.......love my husband, but we are hiring out jobs that require a lot of skill.

The updates all look fabulous and love the artwork and decor as well. Looks like you've made marvelous choices.

Now that you are posting pics, someday you'll have to post pictures of the entire finished areas.........I can see the dining room peeking through the side of one of the pictures.

• Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Removed foggy picture window in kitchen (cannot find before pic ugh) trust me it was ugly and cloudy!
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    New beautiful window!!! Love love it
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Cannot wait to show you the side of the house once it's all symmetrical. The hodgepodge windows killed me!
    8 years ago

Love the grids in the window, goes nice with the house ! I love grids in all windows...lol

8 years ago

I would try 3-4 agencies for ins that have multiple ins. companies , shop them all for best price. I pray for you all that things will work out as you desire.

• lizoregon
    8 years ago

Candace, It's funny to look back to April 2013 and realize that this thread started with your question about what color to paint the garage doors and front door!! That was the least of your house problems, but now it's beautifully solved along with so many more. This has been a wonderful journey. Congratulations to you and your husband. You are both inspiring!

• Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Garage doors finished hard to believe they are the same doors!
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    People have stopped to see doors and have inquired on my husband doing them for them so much that we decided to start a business! We prayed for a door to open....hopefully God answered by opening a garage door....no pun intended haha cheesy I know but makes us wonder!
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Remember the ugly hodgepodge side of the house? Different sized windows killed me!! Well look now!!!! Replacing siding and almost ready for paint!
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Side shot
  • papoodles
    8 years ago

Love those garage doors and of course, the new windows- your husband is a true craftsman! Best of luck with the new business!

• handymam
    8 years ago

That looks so much better! It must be nice to have such a talented husband! :) can't wait to see it all painted up!

• abbyjean
    8 years ago

Every time I read an update, I smile and shake my head as soooo hard to believe how amazing all this is!!! And of course, it only makes sense that people would be in line for those doors........it truly is the way it is all meant to be in life.

• 1beth58
    8 years ago
    Thank you for sharing your progress.
    You and your husband are an inspiration!
  • 1beth58
    8 years ago
    Thank you for sharing your progress.
    You and your husband are an inspiration!
  • nwduck
    8 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• lizoregon
    8 years ago

You and your husband deserve whatever good things come your way. Great work, both in renovating and as lovely, generous human beings!

• motownmom
    8 years ago

You both are living my motto in life:" There's nothing I can't do, only things I've never tried". It will open doors in your own life and now perhaps the lives of others due to your expertise. Congrats and enjoy this lovely ride.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest a bright white paint in all these areas to bring a clean, bright, and fresh look to the property. The basic design is very pretty and charming.

• Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all for your comments. I get choked up with your warmth because at times we feel so broken down in spirit just overwhelmed with tasks that need completed and funds that have run thin. So to hear your affirmation is very nice. Thank you. We certainly hope this garage door business will take off. Most of all we hope to help others lift the face of their homes and to make enough for us to have a family business. It is our hope that folks will believe in us and our product. Would you guys mind telling me what a good price point would be? The picture of my garage doors was $500 in materials and 2 days of work. It is the existing garage doors just sanded and kilzed and painted and the wood is hand cut cedar cut to fit the folding door. The windows are faux but you would never know it. The iron work my husband did by hand but will probably just purchase the kit for $40 for the business. Any suggestions on how much you think we should charge would be appreciated. Thank you
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    A couple more pix
  • papoodles
    8 years ago

I can't help with the pricing but perhaps it's worth looking into what these doors would cost if purchased locally, and then, peg your price lower to be able to get a foot in the door? But I am just guessing so take my thoughts with a grain of salt! :-)Maybe a better informed houzzer will come to help.

Don't get discouraged with never ending projects- just scroll back and see what you have accomplished so far, and know that this is a journey with many stops along the way. You'll get here! :-) Luckily, the worst of the construction is behind you and you now have a wonderful love filled home for your sweet family. I am just amazed at your grit and perseverance.

• Mindy Vanden Berg
    8 years ago

I love the color of your bathroom with the wainscoting - may I ask the color of the paint? Your blog is helping inspire and prepare me for the upcoming addition to our home - thank you for your spirit and determination!!

8 years ago

I would suggest 3 times of what the materials cost or cost for materials and the going rate per hour of a carpenter in your area. Adding a 1 yr warranty makes for better sales. Make mock up mini doors & get into trade shows etc. Simple flyers left at homes are cheap advertising. Best of luck to your family. PS business cards from vista print.com are cheap and use to have 1st 500 free.

• nwduck
    8 years ago

timmys girl: Don't feel bad about long lists and thin funds. We have been in our home for 21 years, and are still going. Just last week I finally got the stone kitchen counter I originally wanted! (Although quite a bit of non-emergency things got back burnered during college tuition-paying days. Better investment.) It looks so wonderful. Just enjoy what you've done so far.

• Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @mindy color is SW 6150 universal khaki....it's a lovely color. Everyone comments on it. Thanks so much!
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @kevin so good to hear from you! Thanks for the recommendations. Never even thought about trade shows! It's so funny every house I pass now I look at the garage doors. It is so much real estate to not look awesome.
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks @nwduck you have been with me from the beginning....good to hear from you. Glad you got one thing checked off your list. It sure feels good to whittle it down.
  • studio10001
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My father spent the better part of 20 years working on the family home as money became available. He raised a few apprentices while he was at it, taught us all a love of craftmanship, and passed on a solid work ethic in the process. Never ending projects and a tight budget don't just build strong homes; they build strong families. Hang in there, Timmys Girl, and best of luck on the new business!

• Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wanted to update!! We have come so far!!
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hard to believe it's the same house....color on siding is PPG Caribou
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Getting ready to do a European grass driveway
  • nwduck
    6 years ago

So nice of you to post again. Your home is one of my favorite Houzz discussions.

• abbyjean
    6 years ago

You really have come so far and seem to have enjoyed the process. Love it all!

6 years ago

Your Home is Lovely, You have uncovered that... Great work ! Kev

• motownmom
    6 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for coming back and sharing as you do updates. It truly is amazing what you've been able to accomplish from the very beginning.

• Jane Gray
    6 years ago
    Timmy's, I have just read this thread from start to finish. What an amazing story! I am curious about your driveway - how did it turn out? Also, I may have missed something, but did you ever get some resolution to the flood plane issue?
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is a pic of the finished driveway
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My husband got a job offer in Florida so we have listed our home this is not easy for me and we are in contract but sadly the flood plain insurance cost is making the buyer want to back out. Is there anyone on here that can help me with this? I think we need a new elevation certificate but was curious if I posted pix if someone could let me know if it’s a waste of time to put out more $$
  • Timmys Girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    If anyone on here can help we’re having flood plain issues....we are on a AE....hoping the efforts we have made will get us downgraded
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I remember your post and what a great job you made! I suggest you to start a new post with your dilemma and post link on old one, you get more help.

• lauriebr24
    5 years ago
    Following
  • krottmann
    5 years ago
    following this amazing story