Need help with designing a porch with weird house design
TREY
If anyone has pictures of a house built just like this one with a attached porch please send a picture! Please
Engrav's Decorating
Just curious where you want to attach the porch?
April 18, 2013 at 6:57am   
TREY
Directly in front where I could walk on the porch to enter the door. Where it could cover the walk way and attach to the garage wall. If you have any ideas please share. I'm clueless
April 18, 2013 at 7:12am   
is the current entry covered ? can't tell in the photo.
April 18, 2013 at 9:00am   
TREY
HOPE THIS IS A BETTER PIC
April 18, 2013 at 10:59am   
chrisroh
Sounds as if you want to extend the roof line out to give the front door more cover. Or are you looking to cover the entire area from the door to the garage? A definition of "porch" is a covered space over the door to provide shelter from the weather...unless you live in the south and then a porch is big enough for entertaining. I think people are confused as to what you are looking for.
April 18, 2013 at 11:14am   
mmilos
To do it right, you'd need to remove your brick entry and expand the raised porch out a few feet beyond your front windows. The porch roof would need to be pretty flat...which could be a problem if you live in a cold climate. An open arbor structure covering the expanded porch would look visually lighter.

I like your house as-is and don't think it looks like a weird design.
April 18, 2013 at 11:29am     
TREY
Chris I'm actually in Ga. Raised in Fla. I'm use to having a porch or some type of large covering so we could sit out and enjoy the breeze. I had a guy to come out today and mainly said i'll take away from look of the house if i added a porch. Very disappointed.. The pic below is what I somewhat like. Sorry for the small pic
April 18, 2013 at 1:20pm   
mmilos
Can you put a porch like that on the back of the house vs. the front? More privacy potentially in back. And I agree you'll take away from the look of the house if you added a porch on the front.
April 18, 2013 at 1:53pm     
chrisroh
I understand now. You could add a 3 season porch to the back or a 4 season with windows you can drop down and still get a breeze without the bugs. Go to the home page and type in front porch to get some wonderful sitting porches. You could extend the front porch brick and put some chairs there. Also, there are pergolas that you can attach to the front of the house. But once again, it will take away from the look you have now. But adding vines would provide you some shade. Sounds as if you would have to totally redo the roof line to add an extension "bump out" for a Southern-style porch.
April 18, 2013 at 6:36pm     
TREY
I would love a Southern Style Porch but I guess you can't get everything you want. I had the guy to check out the back of the house to actually extend the master bed room and extend out my patio. The price was a little too steep but I think that would be my next project.
April 18, 2013 at 8:26pm   
chrisroh
You could extend the back area by adding a pergola and using canvas to provide shade. The canvas pieces can be retracted if you want the sun. Some pots of annuals would give you wonder color. You could also add screens on a curtain rod type device that you could pull together to enclose the space you currently have. Pull them together when you need them, tie them to the uprights when you don't. You are fortunate as it appears you have land to add extensions if you want.
April 19, 2013 at 6:36am     
Rare Bird
I d extend the path from front door over to garage with pavers to form a semi seating area Then put in a shrubbery with plants of varying plant heights with the highest away from the house. On this new patio U could also put in big potted plants Tiz a lovely house so dont hide it completely
April 19, 2013 at 6:49am     
MJ Forester
The guy that said a front porch will "take away the look of the house" - isn't that the point? You need a front porch here. It will add warmth and take care of the weird empty space to the left of the garage. When we built our home, we fell in love with a certain house plan but it didn't have a front porch, so we added one. I would spend the money and add a front porch the right way by extending the roof.
April 19, 2013 at 7:16am     
Entropy Limited
I can see your dilemma, the existing nested dormers make the addition of a new roof form difficult and the end result would be cluttered. Also, the existing roof eave is too low to allow a simple extension. These are issues that would require a major roof renovation to overcome. I feel that a flat roof or pergola wouldn't complement your existing architecture. Perhaps an uncovered patio space?
April 19, 2013 at 7:37am     
TREY
Well he did say he could extend it 8 feet from the front door just like yours. Something to think about.. I guess going too big just like how I wanted was just too much...
April 19, 2013 at 7:59am   
MJ Forester
It's a really nice house as is, but I understand wanting a front porch. I'd go bigger with mine if I could. What about pergola or even a slightly raised stone patio there?
April 19, 2013 at 8:04am     
jjnman12
Your house looks fine without a covered porch.If it was mine I would use pavers or stone and put in more of an entry courtyard I would get rid of cement side walk and extend pavers from garage out and then and paver walkway to driveway.Leave some areas for planting.This would give you a place for a bench or some chairs to be more welcoming without the hassle and expense of messing with your roof.I think instead of a contractor you should consult a landscape designer.
April 19, 2013 at 8:06am     
TREY
MJ Good idea something I never thought about. I'll make plans for the builder to take a look at it.
April 19, 2013 at 9:02pm   
Stamps Design Services
You do understand if you want a covered front porch you are taking about redoing part of the roof as well as the porch base, right? Here is a porch with a concrete base and a wooden arbor top... which would save you $$$. Just out of curiosity did you just have this home built or did you buy already done?
April 19, 2013 at 9:18pm     
TREY
I got the house when it was being built. I was making a transition to go back to Afghan at the time and I didnt have any ideas to change anything up at the time. But now I do. I would like to have concrete base covered porch, Having a arbor top, you would have to grow plants or I guess lay down ply wood just to get shade. Down south growing plants on a Arbor connecting to your house is a BIG no no we have toooo many critters. Wasp,rats snakes ect. Yes it would save me $$$$ but running from critters everyday would be a hassle. LOL O yeah bats too.
April 19, 2013 at 9:41pm   
backbonemountain
Whatever you do, screen it in! Keep in mind that a covered porch/patio would make the house darker inside wherever you put it. I think a screened in area in the back makes more sense. The only safe time to sit outside at your house is in the winter. Make sure you add a chiminea or outdoor fireplace.
April 19, 2013 at 10:02pm     
backbonemountain
Don't forget that bats eat mosquitos, so they are on the good list!
April 19, 2013 at 10:03pm     
TREY
Thanks.... I'll add that to my idea list. Last year we had to get rid of 10 bats from my neighbor outside roof enterence. Yes they are a good but they do mess up your house when they crap all over the place.
April 19, 2013 at 10:14pm   
Stamps Design Services
Trey, you do not have to grow plants on it and you can get horizontal shades that can be retracted.. when you want more sun You can also run the top slats from side to side at an angle to make it shadier
April 19, 2013 at 11:34pm     
TREY
Thats a good idea!!!!!!!!
April 20, 2013 at 12:14am   
Blacksmithray
You can have 30mm square Aluminum Tube bent with a curve to suit and a clear roof material with a heat reduction factor
April 20, 2013 at 12:15am   
Need help designing a screened porch on the back of my house!
Want to begin porch at the back door, extending it...
Need help designing front porch that suits the house
We would like to add a porch in front full length of...
Need help with weird wall "shelf". How to design?
I have two story windows with a weird shelf and I don't...
Need expert help - new house with weird floor plan
Last year I purchased my first home. It's just the...
Need help on how to cover up weird wood siding area outside house!!
So the area between the two large windows on the front...
Boy room to Teen Dream
Paint, shelf demo and purge purge purge - room is 12...
Is it "not worth it" to raise the heights of your ceilings
We have 7' ceilings on the first and the second floor....
What is missing on my kitchen cabinet tops?
Please give me advice on the decor for my kitchen cabinet...
Office: Need to seal and conceal sump pump
Just bought a house and looking for ideas to seal and...