Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdavis495

Need help with Exterior Colors

Karen Davis
10 years ago
My husband and I will be building the house in the picture attached soon, I need help with exterior colors (siding, trim and doors). We really like the green colors for siding but stuck on trim colors, I will be having the inside decor a contemporary rustic with Grays being the dominant color. Should the exterior and interior go together, does it matter?? Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (41)

• armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Not being an interior designer, but I painted my outside and living room of the same orange color but that is just me. Sure you will get some good advice from the experts.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    There should be a theme that is consistent between the exterior and interior.
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I differ with @dytecture on this one! Keep this thread "flowing" you will get many opinions and ideas! Enjoy...
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    Perhaps you could paint the porch floor or ceiling a shade of the gray color you will be using indoors.
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    @eztia, great idea, Porch as "transition zone" from inside to outside! Never pondered that, cool
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    Thank you, Kevin Patrick O'Brien.
  • swierz
    10 years ago
    We are building a home using green for the main siding color with a khaki brown color on the trim, facia, etc. and are using a dark brown color for accents.
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    I'm with Dytecture. This is a really cute craftsman style house and it would feel very jarring/schizophrenic to me to walk inside to some modernist interior. I think the inside and outside should feel pretty seamless, with each being an extension of the other.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    What color will your roof be? And the stones? Pick colors that look good with these materials.
  • DIAspoton
    10 years ago
    surprise and WOW are half the fun of good design. walking into a beautifully decorated home that is just as you expected before entering can be very boring.
    as for trim colors, look at pics on here and drive through neighborhoods til you find waht you like.
  • mybeautifulworld
    10 years ago
    Try a white siding and then grey on the other details, this way if you hate it later on its easier to paint over it again.
  • Karen Davis
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Eztia...love this idea of painting the porch ceiling gray... never crossed my mind.
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    @kdavis495. Thank you. :)
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    I don't care for grays. grays to me mean basements :) and battleships :) i'm sorry sorry sorry :) I think a lovely green would be very nice with warm brown accents, or perhaps a blue that is not gray :) with complimentary accents. The porch is wonderful and I agree that it will be a transition zone, although only when you are walking through it.
  • PRO
    CHISM BROTHERS PAINTING
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like the colors in the rendering too! You do have a fair amount of color schemes that fit well with the craftsman-style though. You can do completely away with white trim all together. Going with white trim gives it almost more of a cape cod look. The craftsman style era didn't have much white trim, if my memory serves correctly. Cream trim colors would be best. Not sure what the windows will look like, but I like doing 2 colors: windows one color and frames another. Again...the rendering looks good, but it does not look as craftsman as I'd like it to look. That is just me.

We did a craftsman style home in this color

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151561429434857&set=a.10151561429384857.1073741826.151473424856&type=3&theater
  • Elizabeth Buckingham
    10 years ago
    I think the inside and the outside should have a linking theme.I would use a lot of white as the verandahs may reduce light indoors a llittle.With this I would add two neutrals in the same colour spectrum as the outside greys.
    it is a divine house with a nod to Hamptons I think.
  • boubaboud
    10 years ago
    Think about the colors in the surroundings. What is the nature like? What colors are the houses around? I have painted my summer cottage a nice grey-brown that fitted with the trunks of the trees in the woods. The color seems to change depending of the time of the day. I am very happy with that choice. I had the idea but I used the good advices of a designer to pick the right shade. Good luck!
  • susanmoran
    10 years ago
    I design craftsman houses for a living and for now the gray exteriors are very appealing to our homeowners. A green exterior is also fun to do but it is difficult to find a green vinyl siding that is pretty. The best green vinyl I've found is Certainteed's Cypress. If the siding on the entire house is to be painted, no problem, you have thousands of greens to select from. I would trim the house in a color like Quality Aluminum's Bone (Off White). Dark Brown on the roof. Front door and shutters a matching accent color and maybe the roof brackets. You could use dark brown windows. If so, have the window manufacturer mount the grilles on the exterior of the glass so they are visible from the street. The dark grilles get lost if you don't and you loss the craftsman effect. If you use white windows you don't have this problem. I've also used white windows and trimmed them in Bone without a problem. You barely notice the windows are pure white (promise). There are many cultured stone products out there that have a bit of green in them. If you are going to use color on the shutters it would be good to also have a speck of this color in the stone. My thoughts are that the exterior should tell you a bit about what colors are on the inside, however, I don't always stick to this rule. My thought here is if you want to use gray inside and green outside, use a warm gray inside with a small amount of green undertone. Something like Benjamin Moore's HC-108 Shady Nook Gray. It will come across cool in some rooms and warm in others. Beautiful house, have fun with it!
  • pmarch39
    10 years ago
    Love the house you going to building! Good luck. I think the inside style of a home should compliment the outside style.
  • netty1974
    10 years ago
    looks beautiful as is, we have similar colours on our exterior and inside we've kept a similar theme but splashes of colour with furnishings, that way you can merge modern and neutral, and the best part is when you get bored of that colour you only have change furnishings!
  • PRO
    Shearer Painting
    10 years ago
    The white in the rendering will be too stark white. Once you have real sample of stone and roof composite you can draw colors from those elements; those are the features of your home do not fight them with fashionable colors. Earlier comments about the porch ceiling are good. The porch sofiit color if selected proper can WOW. Good luck with the construction.
  • kgut40
    10 years ago
    I'm posting some pics of our green siding (we just built our house last year and are still not finished with the outside). I wish I wouldn't have gone with the green. It's hard to trim out and pick colors around it. This is the second red I've painted for the front door and I still don't like it (don't want it to look like xmas colors). Our roof is a brown metal roof, the trim is all white and we are still deciding on the shutters (I like white ones, hubby likes the black). The lattice around the porch is temp until we get the stone around foundation and porch (it will be the applewood mix of browns and grays). I'm staining the decking with restore prob either in driftwood or brownstone (taupe color) and the railing and ceiling will be white. Hopefully this will deter you from the same mistake I made. It looked better on paper!!! I like the warmer colors (mocha, clay, with the black and white accents).
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    @Susan Moran, I apologize because I know there are nice grays out there :) ---I guess because I have been reading so many many posts on Houzz that advocate gray for almost everything that I am set against it, but I have seen it look beautiful and warm. My housepainter and friend is a true artist and I appreciated all the work done on my old house. It's hard to choose but someone with an eye for color can really point you in the right direction.
  • susanmoran
    10 years ago
    I am posting some nice looking spaces I did with a Sherwin Williams gray. The color is Anonymous SW7046. See how it changes color depending on the locations of each room.
  • bygeorgi
    10 years ago
    Love your idea of contemporary rustic.... So maybe let neutral colors guide you for most of the home... play on texture, add a pop a color. This way when you get board, you can just change some accents. I suggest using your interior accent color for your front door. Also think about what plants you are using in the landscaping.. say if the house exterior is a gray you might want to have bright chartreuse leafy plants etc... high contrast makes things look more updated. A green exterior is a classic for a craftsman home, I would contrast that with plants that flower in pinks. So make sure you take landscaping into consideration before choosing the house color.
  • Mel Proctor
    10 years ago
    Love green to but take a look at these pics - would look great with craftsman style - dark grey would be really nice and makes the house pop
  • bygeorgi
    10 years ago
    I agree with you Melzpro,...a gray or a taupe would update the style and give you that pop with plantings,,, in my neck of the woods , southern California iceburg roses in white grow well and would look fantastic or a lavender hydrangea, maybe pittosporum for a shrub.
  • lisagilpin
    10 years ago
    I would like to see what the door and shutters would look like painted a high gloss black or white.
  • PRO
    Bonnie Krims Color Studio
    10 years ago
    I am a professional color consultant in Concord, MA. Every so often I provide free advice to homeowners and you are the recipient this time. If you like green, try Ben Moore's Cheyenne Green 1502 or Dry sage 2142-40 with Gentle Cream trim OC-96. It would be stunning on your home!
  • retiredbp2
    10 years ago
    I'd love to see your new house in green to fit your surroundings with a rust colored door and shutters with dark yellow/gold colored trim. It'd look like fall colored trims, but still refreshing against the green siding, if it were a mossy hue. The roof could be brown or a combo of brown/green/rust, and the house would blend in very nicely with the surroundings.
  • Linda Butler
    10 years ago
    I have a personal aversion to brown/beige because it is so overdone; likewise I am over the gray trend. But forget about me, HGTV has some really nice color palettes with suggested combinations for interior and exterior decor. You can find them on the Sherwin Williams website. You can even upload a picture of your house and try out the colors you are interested in. I have ended up with Stone Lion for the siding, Eggshell for the trim, and Plum Brown for the door and shutters.
  • buddyhoney1
    10 years ago
    I like the contrast between the house color and the shutters. The theme is amazing with the river and then the colorful bushes!
  • lrc221
    10 years ago
    we have a green house with a beige/cream colored trim. It has a very charming feel.
  • kellystaylor
    10 years ago
    it's a traditional house with lot's of roof - so I would go with a darker charcoal architectural roof tile - and lighter on the paint colors - especially under the porch. Light and neutral. This way your landscaping, holiday lights, etc. will always look great - as well as cute porch furniture.
  • Dalia
    10 years ago
    the sketch of your soon to be new house look fabulous...and the colours complement the exterior quite well. If you like the shade of green, most paint stores have swatches of colour from the lightest to the darkest...so find a colour that you like and pick a lighter or a darker shade for your trim....
  • 4mygate
    10 years ago
    I had a deep green siding color ( maybe a little gray in it) ...used an eggplant like color and a creamy white for all the firm. We had people coming by to ask for the colors and the new house owner asked our neighbor to find us in a different state to confirm the exterior colors....good luck. I always think a base color and (2) trim colors are eye appealing.
  • westsidecarrie
    10 years ago
    beautiful home... the inside color scheme and outside do not need to match. A complementary color would be better.
  • Robyn Sullivan
    10 years ago
    Personally I would match the style inside and out...so I would say find a green that you like for the main color and then for trim do a white with a grey tone to it then paint the garage doors and grey tone...ever classic from Pratt and lambert is great then add white to it for the trim...hope that's helpful
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    10 years ago
    I would not go with green siding for the exterior. Green is one of those colors that always has a shade that is "in" and many that are "out" of style (think sage & advocado). I would stick with a more neutral color (beiges, grays) for the siding and use the green as the accent in shutters and doors or as décor on the porch. That way, it makes it much easier to change it out. Siding is a permanent commitment.