Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkamp

Keep the wall? Take the wall down? Cover the wall? Any ideas?

kkamp
10 years ago
Need to update the outside of the house. Debating about whether we should cover the brick with cedar shakes, just cut the brick off, or leave it alone. There is about 8' between the brick wall and the house - in between is a cement sidewalk/patio area. I'd love to hear your ideas. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Sigrid
    10 years ago
    Do you use your patio? If so, plant flowering shrubs (larger than what you have) on the outside of the wall, with some grasses for winter interest. If you don't remove the wall and patio.

I will note that most houses look dreary with a dark gray sky and when the snow is gone, but the leaves aren't back. Take a picture now, when it's sunny out and you'll have fewer people convinced you have to do something to cheer up your house.
  • Connie
    10 years ago
    If you are painting the outside of the house, I would just consider painting the bricks- depending on the style of the interiors, maybe something with a real pop of colour (red/bright blue/ etc??) , and then the plantings behind it, like Sigrid said.
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would leave it because it directs the public to the main entrance. and hides the front side entrance. You could use concrete stain for the brick to up date the color of the brick but I would not paint it. Staining would not peel like paint and holds up for many many years. Because it is a stain. The have many colors of concrete stain made for concrete and brick it also leave more texture on the brick VS paint.
    10 years ago
    I would put a walk out side the wall to the street in a natural curved feel.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would leave the brick/courtyard and paint the house instead. For me, it's not the brick, it's the house color that could use an update. Trust me. :)... A new paint color and professional landscaping to complement your house will make you LOVE your house, just as it is. I think it would be more cost effective to hire a landcape designer to complement your home, rather than changing your architecture.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    I vote to keep the wall. You need a nice camel with black front door and lighter tan trim. Red front door is also a possibility. New plantings in existing beds.
    10 years ago
    I would up date with color and landscape and light fixtures, keep the style of the home it is a beautiful home.
  • traditionalguy467
    10 years ago
    Hi Kkamp,

I absolutely would not cover the brick up, or cut it off. I love the low ground hugging effect the different angles of the hip roof give, combined with the texture of the brick. I definitely agree that this is a case where the color does not enhance the brick. The area to the left of the entrance, by the bedroom window, should have something planted, that perhaps would climb up the brick, maybe on a trellis. The low wall along the walk, should have a vine that would be planted to enhance the grounded look of the home, while diminishing the starkness of the brick, and color combination. Lastly, consider a change, specifically the two lights at the entrance. Proportionately the lights are incorrect. Too large, for such an intimate entrance. Also, consider a rod iron gate, either single, or two small double ones, to add to the intimacy of the entrance and courtyard. The gate can be slightly arched, either down or up, it's your call, but not straight. I also agree with Kevin, that a walkway winding toward the drive, would enhance the the entrance to your gracious home. Be sure it widens at both ends of the drive, to accomplish this look. It has to be substantial, and taper as it approaches the gate to standard size. The walk could be out of stone, giving rather an English country look, if that appeals to you. If after these changes are made, and when it comes time to paint, as I know this is a major cost, and the brick still bothers you, then go ahead and paint it. Understand though, that this will give the home a more formal look, not the natural look, your home now conveys. I can't advise you on plants, as I am located in Southern California, although I am sure your local nursery can help with choices appropriate to your area. I truly love the look of your home, the lines are beautifully laid out, and whatever route you choose, it will undoubtedly be stunning. The best to you!
  • kkamp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! I never expected to get such helpful, professional comments. I really thank all of you! They are positive, constructive and helpful. I'm attaching two other photos as many of you commented on the front doors. We are actually going to replace the double-front door with a window. The green door close to the garage doors/driveway is going to be replaced with a mission-style Mastercraft door so it stands out more as that is the main entrance. The window in picture 0558 that is behind the tree will be replaced with a french door leading. We don't want that as an entrace for visitors but more as our entrance/exit to the front patio. And what were they thinking with planting bushes and a tree in a patio?!! Looks like a hazard to me. We are hoping to fill them with concrete and then stain all of the contrete so you don't notice there were holes there.
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 years ago
    I should add that stain takes differently to new concrete versus old concrete so the color will never be the same. Sorry to say. You could fill in with gravel so it can be walked on or place a garden sculpture there.