Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmorel

Need help with family/living room in city

Jessuca Morrl
10 years ago
Need help how to place furniture in my living/family room. We are moving into a city condo so we need to make this space work with a small play space/cubbies for my sons toys. Am thinking in the space to the left of the fireplace. We don't want to mount the tv above the fireplace. There is a window to the right of fireplace and large window on right wall. The room is 20x17.5 and leads into our dining room. We like contemporary design and don't know how/where to place furniture. We'd like a sofa with chaise or sectional and are thinking an ottoman instead of coffee table. I would also love to incorporate bench seating by the window if at all possible.

Is there good software that does rendering or is there anybody who does rendering.
I'm very grateful for any ideas. I can not to this project alone.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Current furniture placement looks good. Consider full height built-in to the left of the fireplace for more storage.
  • Jessuca Morrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry, should have commented that this is the staged furniture and not ours. I am shopping for new furniture to meet our needs.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Maybe the Tv on right side of fireplace wall. You could substitute the two chairs for another sofa if you need the seating or prefer another sofa.

Reverse this arrangement.
    Great Neighborhood Homes · More Info
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with Dytecture's suggestions that you put a built-in cabinet to the left of the FP, with doors on the lower part and bookshelves above. That will give you good toy storage and a place for books and photos.

I urge you not to get a sectional but to do what LB showed you in the photo above: place a sofa facing the FP/TV and put two chairs to the left of the sofa, facing the windows. Then you can have that bench in front of the windows which is a fine idea.

You'll need a nice big coffee table in front of the sofa and a sofa table behind it with lamps. You don't really need end tables. Between the two chairs I'd place a round table, and I'd give the people sitting on the bench a small table on which to set drinks.
  • Jessuca Morrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. Like those suggestions a lot. With the tv in storage to the left of fireplace where would you suggest a kids toy area?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The storage to the left is for your son's toys. Inside the lower cabinets you can have baskets or crates full of different toys that can be pulled out for him to play with. Bigger toys can be kept there if necessary, or elsewhere.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Maybe yes 'Carolyn', the Tv on the left of fireplace if a bench was discussed. I didn't see that.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @ LB, jmorel asked for bench seating by windows and TV over FP.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Oh yes 'Carolyn', thanks for that. I missed it, Trying to read too fast. :))
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Oops I misunderstood. While jmorel said he wanted TV over FP, it def could go to the left of the FP above the lower cabinets, which will hold toys.
  • Jessuca Morrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi! Actually you were correct Carolyn. I do not want the tv over the fireplace but am debating to the left on the fireplace wall, on the window wall or the wall across from the windows. I need decent toy storage as we are in the city so most of his toys live in the living room (unfortunately). If I put tv to the left of fireplace should I put more storage to the right of the fireplace as well? Would love other suggestions as well.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The window to the right of the FP might be too low for a matching cabinet to be built there. If it is too low, then it would be a good location for either a reading chair or a window seat with toy storage in cabinets underneath.

If you place the TV on the wall opposite the big windows, you'll have to deal with glare on the TV, but that can be fixed with shutters or draperies or other window coverings. In any case, you'd then place the two chairs on the window side of the room, facing the TV. The sofa, etc., would be in the same location as before, facing the FP.

In staging the condo for sale, they wanted to show off the floor so did not put a rug in the room. However, the room will look even better with a rug, probably a 9 x 12, but possibly an 8 x 10.

I suggest you seek the help of a professional interior designer to assist you with the selection of furnishings for your new home. Furniture is expensive and it's very easy to make costly mistakes without the help of a professional.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    In your ideabook for living rooms, you could do # 6 or # 10 for furniture layout.
  • PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    9 years ago
    Posted May 18th 2013. Love to see pics if the project is complete! If you still need help please let us know.