Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hsimms81

stuck! Need to bring the room together. And colors? I'm all over the place!

hsimms81
10 years ago
I love white, blues, especially navy, and gray. I just can't figure out what to do with this room to bring it all together. I feel it looks "piece-y" I know I need a new coffee table and lamp, just not sure what fits. My style is a traditional pottery barn look with a little more sparkle. I wouldn't have opted for the tan couch but I have a 2 and 3 yr old ;) any help please?!

Comments (31)

• hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More views
  • ashleylace
    10 years ago
    Perhaps a pair of mercury glassl lamps with linen shades would look great. You have a wonderful house (canvas) to start with and neutral staples (furniture) already. I would consider getting a different rug...maybe in a navy and white stripe.
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, I love mercury glass! Just didn't know if it'd be too much since I have it on the shelves, too. As for the rug, it looks completely different in person, it's blue, gray, beige, that shimmers like an antique rug. Wish I could get a good pic! It also hides stains well, so It's a keeper ;) I love the curtains in that first pic and could use something like that in my kitchen. Where are they from?
    Thanks for your input! I need all the help I can get!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Love your room good job. I would redo firepl. In insert add pearl blue gray mosaic tiles. Paint FP a pewter gray by Benjamin Moore. It would make it more of focal pt. add to one end only your mercury glass. Insert add tall almost as tall as insert a glass vase in turquoise. Nothing else.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Sorry was thinking of another FP. You can still do insert and mantel same way not sure of yr wall color what is it?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Have you thought of Zebra for area rug. Would add drama.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add turquoise chevon pillows to furn. Just a couple on each piece.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I know yr rug. Yes it looks better in person. I like it to. But zebra some where would be fun.
  • ashleylace
    10 years ago
    The drapes in the first picture are by Duralee..Navy blue ikat fabric. You can purchase online or at Calico Home.They can often be bought pre-made or custom made on Etsy in this fabric as well.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Would you have space behind the sofa for a sofa table? And a rectangular coffee table would fit nicely I think. A good sized table lamp between the two chairs
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    And I'd place the two silver vases on the mantle, the three photo frames between the baskets on the shelf and the branches in a larger ceramic vase on the stairs landing perhaps.
    Paris Flea Market Lamp · More Info
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Carolins- funny you posted that coffee table as I've been eyeing it for a while!
    @travis interiors- not sure I can envision the fireplace... Any pics? I really wish I had a tall stone fireplace but I don't think the husband will go for that right now ;) the wall paint is kilm beige by kwal. It's from the builder, not my choice. Ps, love turquoise, but do you think it goes with the blues I have?
    Speaking of paint, would anyone change the wall color and if so what??
    Thanks for all the input!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Try matching paint to the chevron stripe in your pillows. If you can't change the FP maybe you can change the TV cubby. Right now you have antique on the FP side and contemporary on the TV side. Don't know what size your foyer is, but would like to see that round table there with a striking floral arrangement on it and a great rug underneath!
    Serene entry hall · More Info

Rostan Residence · More Info
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste, foyer isn't big enough, but I love the idea. Wish i had a staircase like on the left. How can I blend my two areas (fp and tv cubbie)? Not going for either contemporary or antique look, haha! I do know the tv looks pretty antique-ish and will be replaced soon! I'm up for changing/moving/ buying ANY accessories...just need specific ideas. I'm going to try moving the mercury vases to the Fp tomorrow as Carolins suggested. Just not sure if there will be enough height.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Instead of leaning the mirror in the niche so it reflects the ceiling, hang it so it is balanced in the space and find some nice sconces to hang on either side of it, with navy blue tapers. You don't ever have to light them, they would be just for looks. And yes, you can mix navy and turquoise! They are examples of a congruent color scheme. I think color on the windows would be spectacular, and add quite a layer of color in the room. A bold print like the Ikat in the photo ashleylace posted would be nice.
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @nancy Walton- so take the vases down and put sconces inside the niche?
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thoughts?
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    @ hsimms81, yes, take vases down put on mantel as carolins suggested, moving photos off the mantel. I think the sconces you pictured are too chunky with that beautiful mirror. I would go with something lighter, narrower, and with tapers, not pillars.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    How funny that I've chosen the coffee table that you were thinking about yourself :-) It's not the first time that happens. I don't think that it's a coincidence anymore.
    I picked it because I thought a dark wood like the smaller table would make it too sort of formal. My other thought was glass, so your beautiful rug will be visible, but since your ceiling is so high, glass wouldn't have enough 'weight' I feel.
    Hence the lighter wooden trunk. I more interesting than a 'normal table too.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Can you remove the shelves above the TV? If you paint the walls the darker color from your pillow, you might paint the recesses in your accent - maybe the light blue or other shade you decide on. I think with the recesses painted you can simply hang your mirror and flank it with a pair of candle sconces or load the mantel with an impressive collection of crystal or cut glass candlesticks. Try art where the shelves were above the TV.
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Have to keep the shelves, husband just built those in :/
    I moved the vases to the Fp. And just for fun tried an old round mirror (would need bigger one) and then moved other mirror to niche. Thoughts?
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'd hang the mirror in niche and add something below.
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just can't figure out how to get the pb look I want.
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure the dark paint will work bc it's a two story ceiling and flows into the upstairs... It would close it in too much. I was thinking a light gray or leave it.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Vases look better on the fireplace than above the TV I think. Lovely! I also like that you've removed one of the glass vases with the branches. I do like the round mirror, could be a tad larger though.
    If you hang the mirror you could put them in the niche perhaps.Don't hang the mirror too high though. It doesn't need to be in the center, still has to relate to the fireplace. So that the bottom is about 5" or so above the ledge of the niche. Something like that.
    See, I like the shelves above the TV.

Do you have enough space for a sofa table behind the sofa?
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think there may be room, I really like sofa tables so hopefully I can find a good fit. Only downside is that it is one more thing for me to figure out how to decorate, haha! I love the pb tivoli table.
    Husband walked in a saw round mirror and said he like other mirror better. Who knew he had an opinion?! I'm still iffy on trying sconces bc I have not seen anything I like...
    Here's is it back to original mirror and vases moved.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I would still hang it in the space, with a slight downward tilt so you are not reflecting the ceiling.
  • hsimms81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Agree
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I agree too. Had a chuckle about your husband having an opinion, haha. Good for him!
    Would switch the two frames, so the vertical one is on the outside (it's about balance). And I think the mirror needs a little lift and a tilt, as Nancy said. Don't worry about having to decorate the sofa table, should you get one. I think you have great taste.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Looked up the Tivoli table, nice. Lovely legs.