Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_riffer

Whitewashing 1950s varnished knotty pine...???

Michelle Litzau
6 years ago
My laundry room is a very awkward space, with dark shiny knotty pine covering the walls. I had thought my only option (without removing) was to paint it, but I’m much more interested in the whitewashed or pickled look.

Realizing that painting is likely much easier, I’m willing to put in a little extra time and effort to obtain the whitewashed look - but stumped on how to best prepare the wood? I’m finding both for/against liquid stripper and sanding... had anyone done this with great results and able to advise? Thank you so much in advance!!! My laundry room is dark and depressing, I’m excited to get this project started!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

stripping and sanding would be needed if you wanted to re-stain it. if you want to whitewash, use a water based product. General finishes has a whitewash in a can. Or, you could also use a watered down white acrylic latex paint 50:50 ratio ) And the other option is just use a chalk paint. That would prob be your easiest since there is no prep required (other than giving it a good cleaning and de-greasing. try TSP but make sure you rinse any residue very well before painting).

is this what you want? this is whitewash.

If you ever want to actually paint over the paneling,,,good cleaning, light sanding, wipe clean, and use a good oil based primer before painting. if you don't use the primer, the knots will bleed through any paint

whatever you do use, lightly brush on, wipe with rag and repeat as needed.

there is prob a million tutorials on Pinterest,,,,but what i've posted is the basic how to.

https://www.shelterness.com/how-to-whitewash-wood/

here is a combo of painting vs whitewashing

https://www.madnessandmethod.com/painting-vs-whitewashing-panelling/

• ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Are you sure the pine is varnished? Maybe it was coated with shellac (if you're lucky). To determine if the coating is shellac, dip some steel wool in denatured alcohol and try scrubbing in an inconspicuous spot. If it's shellac, the denatured alcohol will dissolve it. Lot's easier than using strippers but you'll need to get some good ventilation going.

Shellac was commonly used on knotty pine paneling in that era so the odds are in your favor.

• Michelle Litzau
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    ci_lanto: oooh good to know! I actually have no idea, so I’ll cross my fingers and give that a try! It would be a wonderful surprise if that’s all it takes! Trying to get a plan to attack this place the minute spring hits so we can take advantage of open windows without needing the a/c. Thanks for the tip!!!
  • ci_lantro
    6 years ago

Crossing my fingers for you, too! Check back in with the results, will you?

• rococogurl
    6 years ago

My former dining room was paneled with pine and whitewashed. It's a great look. Used regular Benjamin Moore white paint but it should not be dead white. In my case the pine was new. To do this it would be necessary to strip the pine and, depending on whether the varnish/shellac comes off evenly to lightly sand. Then whitewash. My painter put the paint on by wiping with a cloth. The only trick is to get it all even.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    As others have said the old finish must come off first. If you have to use stripper, do not run your furnace when doing it (gas) it will eat away at the exchanger and create a CO hazard. You can only do that on a day the furnace is off and the windows are open.
  • Michelle Litzau
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is all great advice - thank you! Beth H: I missed your comment until now- those are exactly what I’m trying to accomplish! I’ll checkout the tutorials, but do you think using chalk paint I could skip the steps of removing the varnish? I may have misread that (in a way that makes it easier for me!) and am guessing I did since the paint wouldn’t have the grain to adhere to in that case...
  • Michelle Litzau
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone! Just a quick update -shellac confirmed! We’ll be stripping then whitewashing with the 50:50 water latex mix. Excited to get to that point :)
  • rococogurl
    6 years ago

Go for it! You'll be amazed how great it all looks afterwards.

• Gena Marquier
    3 years ago

Any after pictures?

• Maryjo Mason
    last year

I want to paint my knotty pine walls white and have no idea how. Can you help??

• ci_lantro
    last year

Clean and prime with BIN pigmented shellac--the BIN with the red label. Two coats overall and 3-4 coats over the knots to block tannin bleed through. Then topcoat with paint of your choice.

• Barb House
    2 months ago

This inf iis all very helpful. has any ever did a gray white wash color with maybe some black to define the groves ?