Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelzyo

Flooring

shelzyo
10 years ago
I'm having a difficult time finding a neutral/ ash wood floor that doesn't pull too much yellow tones. What is the make,color, species of the wood?
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Case Architects & Remodelers
    10 years ago
    These are new Maple floors.

Thank you,
    Case Design/Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    Hull Forest Products - Wide Plank Floors
    10 years ago
    Hi Shelley, in case it is helpful, here's a link to an ideabook on pale floors that includes some lighter toned Ash floors that we created: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/10447441/thumbs/Light-Colored-Wood-Floors
  • shelzyo
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for everyones feedback. I am embarrassed to say that I do not have experience with flooring. I like a cool, contemporary look, and wanted to achieve this with a engineered wood. However, I am afraid of installing something so expensive only to have it become dented or warped so easily.
    What Janka rating do I start with? I tested a sample of the polar ash floor from Boen & it dented very easily.( the sales person did not know the janka rating).
    Furniture: would the weight of furniture dent any type of wood flooring? Or what Janka rating do I need to prevent denting even from furniture?( I understand that there is no hard fast rule since weight & velocity affect denting but I need some sort of guideline).
    Once again, embarrassed to ask such detailed questions but I am new to this and it is such an expensive investment.
    Thank you so much!
  • PRO
    Hull Forest Products - Wide Plank Floors
    10 years ago
    Hi Shelley, wood is an organic material and it is not impervious to dings and dents--any wood can scratch, but some woods are softer than others. If you don't like the look of lived-in floors, I'd go for something 900 or above on the Janka scale. The weight of your furniture is unlikely to dent a solid hardwood floor, but the floor could be scratched if you were to drag the furniture across it, for example. Using felt pads below chair and sofa legs is always a good idea. The beauty of a solid 3/4 inch thick wood floor as opposed to an engineered one, is that it can be sanded and refinished many times during its service life. If going with engineered, be sure to ask about the thickness of the wear layer on top and what your options are for refinishing, should that become necessary. Whoever you end up buying from should be able to advise you on appropriate finishes to protect your floor as well.
  • chriscellewillis
    9 years ago
    Maple flooring 3/4 inch wood compared to engineer wood