Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bach_matt_msu

Log Cabin - Natural Log Cabins, Tustin MI

Matt Bach
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Has anyone here used Natural Log Cabins out of Tustin, Michigan?

If so, I am curious to hear how the experience was. I have found limited reviews online. How was the quality of their product? They only offer the log kits, how did everything else end up pricing out? I have heard for a log kit you need to triple the cost of the installed kit as a rule of thumb for the total cost, I am wondering what your experience was?

Here is their website: http://www.naturallogcabins.com/

If you have built a log cabin in northern michigan I am curious to hear your experience and cost / sqft it ended up being. My family is strongly considered building a cabin up north and we are in the research phase.

Thanks!

Matt

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I have heard of them but nothing to form an opinion. Take to other log home owners about their experiences with living with log structures. Most have great character but are not for everyone. The ones I have designed are log veneer and not full log.

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    5 years ago

Be fully aware of what you're getting into.

Log homes are much more difficult for all the trades, thus quite a bit more expensive beyond the expense of the structure itself. Depending on the design of the home, it's hard for plumbers to place pipes and electrician to place outlets. Also, logs shrink and the whole house settles. This movement must be planned for in everything from the installation of doors and windows, potential movement of plumbing and cabinetry.

While log construction may seem warm and cozy, conventional construction can be made much more thermally efficient and less drafty.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just discovered this topic, but weighing in anyway.

I am in New England, so I don't have experience with the log firm you are considering.

I did recently move into a log home and can give you some insight on the homes in general.

The log home company I went with insisted that I use a GC that had past experience building log homes. I also talked to home owners that had gone through that company, and saw their homes, got their feedback. The company also had a yearly date when they made a small structure (garage) on their property to show how the homes are constructed. Very informative.

When my house was being built, they sent one of their experts to assist in the laying of the log shell, to make sure that no corners were cut. (I am glad they did.)

As far as Summit Studio's feedback:

In my home, each log is connected with a layer of insulation. My home here in the hills of western Massachusetts is more tightly insulated than my old stick built home down in Connecticut - this is noticeable in the winter! Up here, I'm on the side of a hill with little in the way of trees to serve as a wind buffer -- it's a LOT cozier here than back down at the old place, where the winds never amounted to much.

When the house shell was constructed, there was space along the floor allotted for electrical conduits and outlets. Light switches on outer walls didn't prove to be a problem, either - planned for at sensible locations by entry doors.

As for plumbing, all my plumbing is on interior walls or sections of the house, with the exception of my prep sink... those hoses and drain pipe go down to the basement just before the back of that cabinet (which is how it's done in just about any house that has a basement). In winter country I really don't want plumbing on outer walls anyway.

Yes, a log home will settle more than a conventional stick built home. When building, they take this into account (a reason why my log company insisted on my hiring a GC with past log home experience). I've had a few minor drywall breaks, but minor, and I knew to expect them.

(I did have a few troubles with the GC I chose, but those had nothing to do with this being a log home.)

Pricing notes: This worked out to be less expensive than my original stick built plans even though the ultimate house was the same square footage and more or less the same footprint (different design). I knew in my rural area dropping a half million on a home was just plain stupid. The log company charged me for the log shell, and included the roof, front porch, and exterior doors - but not the staining or floors. The GC charged twice that to do the foundation, the walk out basement, all the interior including carpentry for cabinets, the back deck (it wasn't an option on the log company plans), and the septic. (I'm not including the well or the landscaping in this.) I was able to do custom higher end things where it mattered to me, and scale back on the trivial stuff. Excluding that landscaping and well, this worked out to just about 10 percent above the GC's quote.

I was able to modify the plans I chose from the log company. I discovered GW (now owned by Houzz) about the time I was working on the kitchen design, and I'm grateful for their assistance! Although the logs were being milled at that point (no changes on exterior), I was also able to get a couple other pointers placed towards my benefit inside.

• PRO
    Natural Log Cabins
    4 years ago

We are a family owned and operated business and have been in MI for over 30 years & over 300 Log Homes built across Michigan as well as some out of state homes across the US. We would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the process & what is and isn't included. You can contact us at naturallogcabins.com or naturallogcabins@gmail.com
    And we would be happy to give you referrals of passed customers.

• Note: We do the Full log home construction not milled logs like the Big Box Factories.

• We Custom design our homes and each home comes with a set of plans up to code as well as the REScheck (energy code compliance certificate for your area). Now we are not licensed Architects but we do work closely with them to ensure your plans are structural and up to code in your Area.

• Every log is stamped and graded for quality and structural purposes.

• For Mi Costumers we do offer the dry in package which is in addition to the Log Shell Only Price that you can see on our Website at naturallogcabins.com
      Dry In packages includes ...

-Complete Roof Systems with Pine T&G cathedral ceilings inside, 2"x12" Framing on top of log purlins(All our roof systems are engineered for a 70 pound+ snow load), pine soffit, cedar fascia, Either 42 Rs cellulose insulation or closed cell foam insulation, & metal roofing( Standard or Standing Seam metal).

-Window/doors jambed out, installed & trimmed out with log window sill(window/door jambs are carefully designed to allow for logs to settle).

-We do now offer pre drilling and cutting the Electrical Outlets and switches into the logs(to make it as easy on your Electrician as possible) or they can be installed in the floor & non bearing stick framed interior walls.

• Plumbing is installed in non bearing 2"x6" interior walls and raised up 2"x8" loft floor( Rough stick framed Non bearing walls & raised up loft floor is Extra but can be included depending on distance).

-Subfloor system & rough deck framing is Extra but can be included depending on distance. -In most cases you'd need a General Contractor(Or yourself) to finish it out.

-We do some Turn Key projects for close Costumers Only.

Have a Great Day! -Matthias-

-Natural Log Cabins-

• PRO
    Natural Log Cabins
    4 years ago

*We would be happy to give you referrals for Past Customers.

Sponsored