Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenafinland

Need help with family room

helenafinland
10 years ago
I am buying a house that has a lot of wood elements. There is the light pine/oak color wood everywhere. All the windows have wooden framing, all the floors throughout the house, stairs, doors, trims. The family room is my first problem. The ceiling has knotty pine. I am thinking about painting the ceiling white, maybe leaving the beams natural, or maybe even painting them too. The floor needs refinishing and I hate this light yellow oak color - so am thinking of staining it dark walnut. Then the fireplace needs help as it is also the same medium brown wood all over, with some terracotta tiles also in the design. Maybe paint white or remove the wood from the base and use tile or stone? But how would that go with the kitchen floor? They are on a different level though, with stairs going down from the family room to kitchen. The stairs and kitchen have the same yellow oak wood floor. Then there is the dining and living rooms that have more wood. This time it is bleached greyish color. I would be so very grateful for helpful opinions and ideas ! Thank you !

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    A khaki-white-ish stain on the ceiling, beams and trim would lift the heavy overhead feeling, preserve the sense of wood, and balance a rich dark floor.
    http://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/portfolio/sarahs-house-3/living-room
    helenafinland thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Wood as wood is nature at it's best. Just an idea. Some trailing plants hanging from the beams would enhance the wood.
    Image here has enough light coming in from the roof for the plants like in a green house but you could have artificial plants which look almost real. Only an idea because I am a plant lover.
    helenafinland thanked sellaginella
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would leave the ceiling as is and refinish the floor in the darker walnut stain. From there I would then decide what direction to take. I might paint the windows, mantle, risers and balusters of the staircase all white and use the dark walnut on the treads and handrail, but that would be a big job. I think unifying the floor color on both levels with the walnut stain will help a great deal.
    Berkshire Country House, Upstate New York · More Info
    helenafinland thanked User
  • helenafinland
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, the darker floors is a must ! This is an old farm house and it has been previously updated lovingly. I just need to lessen the woodsy pine look. The fireplace could be so great, but I am not sure what to do with it. Would painting the whole thing white be good? Or go dark instead? I am thinking all the furniture to be very light color, even the rugs. White french country/scandinavian look. With french candelabra chandeliers. I even have a white/gold gustavian furniture set that I could use in this room to add a swanky dining space. I dont want the room to look like a farm nor american country. I would love an eclectic european and industrial mixture that would be fresh, timeless and comfortable, with a modern elegance.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Your ideas sound fantastic! The most interesting rooms are a mix of rustic and elegant, formal and informal and traditional and modern, all of the things that you like. Most of the photos I found have lighter floors, but the bedroom photo combines white and light colored furnishings with metal and a dark floor, and it looks really pretty. Lighter, greyer floors is an option as well. I just saw that your windows are white and the trim is wood. I would definitely unify the windows with white and then see how much farther to take the white. The shape of the mantle is very pretty, have you thought of different tile?
    Swedish vignette · More Info

Dreamy Whites · More Info

Open Floor Plan · More Info

Cameron · More Info

Manoir Gray Custom Aged French Oak Floors · More Info
  • helenafinland
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you bluenan for the nice pics and your thoughts! i love the style. i am scandinavian/global person and really want to have that look. reminds me of my childhood. yes, i am trying to think of the fireplace with all different options. the tile is ugly now. so maybe a different tyle and paint !?
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    Difficult challenge to match modern furniture with ranch type ceiling but these are ideas only from a non-pro
    who knows next to nothing..
    With glass sliding doors maybe the windows could be made into a focal point too depending on what the view is.......must be a nice garden. Ikea is Scandinavian isn't it? Going to look for scandinavian living rooms next in case this is not your style.
    helenafinland thanked sellaginella
  • User
    10 years ago
    Perhaps you could get some hand-made or hand-painted tiles that will have a European antique feel and paint the mantle white or Gustavian grey.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Here are some Finnish designs that are beautiful.
  • helenafinland
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow - now I am impressed !!! how totally amazing that you would find all this. i should post a pic of my 16 century gustavian heirlooms here so that you would realize how close you got it !!!!