Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriss_myershurdle

Need Help With Cabinet Colors

Hi there – we’re interested in updating our cabinets maybe to white. Kitchen layout stays the same, and we are keeping our granite and all appliances, except for the cooktop, which is on back order changing to stainless (and hood will change to stainless from copper). I’m concerned that the white won’t pull in my tile, backsplash and my 1800s piece of mantle wood from a barn in Michigan.HELP!! Two tone in my kitchen – yes or no or too small? Forgo white?? Uggggg..TIA

Comments (27)

• last year

I like it how it is. Much better than white.

• last year

If I were going to change one thing here, it would be the backsplash. Second choice, a bit of stain on the floor to give a little contrast to the cabinet wood tones (and to even out the crazy dynamic range). Third choice, larger pulls. I don't see spending a fortune to paint your cabinets.

• last year

Any ideas for a refresh upgrade?

• last year

Your cabinets are lovely.

• last year

And thank you about the idea for the floors, but those are actually antique Barnwood from back east and stay in touch those babies 😂….

• last year

Another vote against white. White would just fight your counter and your floors, and I don't think even a warmer-toned paint would be an improvement over what you have now.

I was going to suggest a hood replacement as an upgrade until I reread your post and saw you were already planning on a copper replacement. I think that will be more harmonious with your other elements.

I see you love your floors, but (if it were me) I might put down a runner to create a bit more contrast between the floor and cabinets. Since your home runs a bit rustic (based on the floor and mantel), you could go with a rag rug runner (made of the right material it could be machine washable).

Beyond that, I'm with acm about the backsplash. The color doesn't quite seem right with the cabinets or counter. But I'm nit-picking a bit, since you seem to be looking for something to change. That's more "if you must change something, start there" that "you definitely need to change that!"

• last year

Thank you all much appreciated – actually, our current hood is copper. I’m thinking of changing that out to stainless instead or Rheinzink which is a specialized German metal (married to an architectural sheet metal custom home builder, so got that going on for me!!) Oliver comments are very helpful everyone – thank you so much

• last year

agreed to keep the wood. Beautiful!

For me, I’d change the countertops to something lighter.
    Change the hardware to something more unique and larger.
    And change the lighting.
    Possibly stain the flooring.

• last year

Keep the cabinets and change the backsplash. I too had east coast milled barnwood floors and stained them. I don't understand why barnwood negates staining. I do think they clash a bit with your cabinets and counters.

• last year

Ditto on not painting the cabinets. I would not stain the floors even without knowing that they were antique. However, you might try a slightly darker stain on the cabinets.

What I'm struggling with most are the counters. They are very overpowering and busy. I think a more toned down and neutral tone would work best here. It's an expensive item to replace, but I think in this scenario would give you the most bang for your buck.

• last year

I love your floor as is. (Not a pro, just wanted to chime in.) So unique!

• last year

Another vote for changing the backsplash and, ideally, the counters. The usual choice is one backsplash: either the 4" piece or the tile, not both. So, were you to change just the backsplash, you would remove the 4" piece carefully and tile the whole thing.

• last year

do you have more of the backsplash tile.....then remove counters and strip and pick new counters...you could leave the backsplash as its white and that would lead to a white option for new counters. if you dont want to mess around so much or spend that much then just get a butcher block top for the island. the lighting could stand a change.... Lots of great choices for over the island....can the small round ones just become recessed lights? I'd remove the corner storage garage on the counter . No changes to cabinets or floor. These lights come to mind for your island position.

Sprindale 2016 Renovation 1 · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

the fireplace wall in the corner is a great place for decor.....if you wanted to frame the photos and set them elsewhere ...the area with the brick in the corner could be an invitation for something else.

• last year

Agree with no white…..it would be jarring against those floors. Here are my suggestions if you want to refresh…..paint island a “soft” black, new black knobs and handles all around, wax up that soapstone (?) sink so it shines and replace the backsplash also removing the 4” granite below the backsplash. Or just remove the backsplash and paint, leaving the 4” granite. A runner with some black notes and those schoolhouse lights posted earlier. And declutter! Good luck!

• PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

Very different from the white you were thinking of but how about painting all the doors with glass in black and place white dinnerware & accessories on those shelves. I also suggest to paint the island in black. Black knobs & pulls (larger than the ones you have), a glossy black subway tile backsplash, and a runner over the wood floors (the one shown is machine washable/dryable from Ruggable).

Here's the island with the countertop replaced for black along with another view of the kitchen with black glass door, black backsplash, and new island lighting. Any other lighing fixture that's not decorative I would replace with a flush mount LED fixture. Should you decide to replace the island countertop, perhaps it's possible to make the end straight instead of round for a more updated look.

• last year

Keep the cabinets. Change the backsplash and the countertops. Add a runner or two. Good luck!

• last year
    last modified: last year

the black / or gunmetal/ dark charcoal/ is good looking for that middle section. When I had to do something w black paint I was surprised at the undertones between very dark gray and black colors. Have a look at the paint store and bring some cards back. You have all the dark in the floor remember for a coordinated feel

• last year

Update lighting, hardware and backsplash. Cabinets look good, but if not consider restraining but not painting white.

• PRO
    last year

If the counters are staying, no white cabinets. It won't work. Have you thought of leaving the uppers natural wood and painting the lowers black? Or just painiting the island black? Would look very sharp, IMO.

Rosewood Lane Whole House · More Info

• last year

^This

• last year

I love how you guys can take my kitchen and show me what things would look like in different colors – so very helpful and everybody on here has been fabulous ….heartfelt thanks!!

• last year

I really think soapstone counters (and squared off island) would elevate the floor. Not sure about backsplash to coordinate, but I would start there and let your cabinets take on the Old World charm of the floors.

• last year

https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-transitional-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~9969

I agree with not painting. Have you though about stainless steel countertops with a soapstone island, especially since you have the inside scoop on that Your floors have so much personality, I think the stainless would serve as a good offset to the floors.

• last year

The only thing that needs a change is the backsplash.

• 2 months ago

As usual- thank you all for your expertise! I do want to change our backsplash, but that job is too big (time and money). Has anyone every successfully painted stone tile backsplash? I Googled- I know it's possible, but I don't understand how you would tape off the grout- and if a glossy paint would be possible?