Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ballac1

Should I paint or stain the exterior brick on our house?

ballac1
10 years ago
We recently had our roof replaced and I'm not sure I picked the right color. I had expected something more brown but it came out more orange and textured. Now it appears to clash with our exterior brick which now looks very yellow. What can I do to improve the curb appeal?

Comments (9)

• mcbriec
    10 years ago
    Adorable puppy. I am not seeing the clash.

When I look at this pic my thoughts are that new, stain-grade garage doors in a color similar to the roof would greatly contribute to the curb appeal.
  • ballac1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a couple more in the daylight. Do you really think it's OK? Maybe I should just paint the garage trim brown to math the windows?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I don't think it is that bad. I do not see the logic in ruining the brick just because the shingle color is off. The brick is there for life. The shingles could be one good hail storm away from needing replaced again. It is cheaper to replace the roof than it will be to replace the brick when you find out the house will be quite hard to sell after you paint the brick.
  • motownmom
    10 years ago
    I think we are all our own worst critics.

I happen to like monochromatic homes. Other than the front door, I think the trim, bricks and roof should be the same or very similar colors, maybe different shades. Now that you have presented the other pictures, I think the storm door and window frames are the most glaring "non-monochromatic" issues.

The brick looks tan, the roof is a reddish brown and the window trim and storm door are blackish brown. I think finding a fairly good match for the reddish brown on the roof, for the window trims and storm door would be the cheapest and smallest job to make you like it better.

But, to be honest, none of it stands out as garish as you seem to think it is. The bricks are next to the siding, the siding & gutter facings are next to the roof. I think picking up the reddish brown of the roof in the trims I mentioned will help. Start small, like a side window, see if you like it.

Another smaller and cheaper job would be to paint the front door a great color to make it stand out more. I have a roof the close in color to yours, and my bricks are more yellow-tan. I have a front door in a rusty toned red that made a big difference. I have a glider on the front porch, with a great rusty red floral print. I took one of the pillows to match to a paint color. My mailbox and placque for my house numbers were painted to match. But if you paint the door you are also going to want to do the storm/screen door so it's not so "out of" the color tones you choose.
  • mcbriec
    10 years ago
    I 100% agree with Motownmom re different shades. In the light, I can see that the roof is a mildly discordant reddish brown and picking up that color in the trims will make the tones look unified.
  • J.B.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I wouldn't want to fool around with the bricks! I have to agree with a few others. Change the screen door, or just paint it (?) and the main door with a colour choice being the two lightest ones from the bricks. (the screen door darkest of the light; the main door the 2nd lightest colour). Please, do not go near the roof colour. Toning down ALL window frames (as with the doors) will make that roof stunning. Keep the flow of the colours right across from corner to corner. The front door entrance is very uninviting because it appears too dark. And it breaks the flow of the house, making it look choppy. Accent with matching, approx 3ft tall, square planters flanking the front door and door-side window. That way they "frame" your entrance; making it cosy! And you can still easily have room on the right when the door opens from the left. Plant boxwood in the planters. Simplicity. -- it's hearty & remains healthy when sheltered such as in your case. Adorn with twinkle lights on special occasions to give visitors and passer-bys a pleasant glow! (I don't want to throw to much at you but a simple railing on the right would avoid people stepping back and falling off)
  • Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago
    Ballac1, I do see what you mean about the bricks. I think that the others are right, and that doing the paint changes will better tie in the reddish roof to the rest of the house, but I imagine you will still be seeing the brick and cringing. It is not too bad, but the roof and the bricks do not complement each other.

I am guessing that the brick trim is only in the front. If this is true, staining the brick will not be that hard a job, and you will see a huge difference and will really like the results - after painting the doors and window trim. I found this company online and have always admired their product. Check them out. Because you stain the individual bricks and not the mortar, it looks natural. I am linking you to the customer image pages so you can see what people have done with their stains. Note that there are three pages to see.

http://www.dyebrick.com/gallery2/v/General/
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    I would paint ALL trim in dark brown like windows - having no white on house any where. I like your house.