Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_556275785

Design dilemma

Cynthia Sigafoose
2 months ago

Hi! Looking to change my yellow walls. Furniture is new. Couch is white and modern. Perhaps, more neutral with an accent behind shelves near fireplace?Open to suggestions .
TIA

Comments (16)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Perhaps pick a shade - light or dark - from the stone wall?

• chispa
    2 months ago

What color is your trim?

How light and bright do you want the walls to be?

Depending on trim color, something like BM White Dove might look good in the room.

Darker colors seem to be trending again, so you might be ahead of the curve! LOL

In the back of the built-in you can also do a wallpaper with texture (grasscloth) or a pattern.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

Make sure the white color works with the rug and the stone.

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

If you want something a little more saturated than white or off white, look at BM Pale Oak or Edgecomb Gray. Pale Oak isn't very dark and Edgecomb gray is greige, not a really gray gray. If you prefer SW, look at Shoji White, Aesthetic White or Natural Choice. Like carolb said, it is a good idea to look at the fireplace stone for a color.

• chloebud
    2 months ago

^Some nice whites from chispa and Beverly. Agree they should work with the rug and stone. Get sample cans to test.

• HU-402831377
    2 months ago

I would do the light taupe color from your chair. It looks like it would blend the rug, fireplace, furniture, and accessories together.

You might try the darker taupe color, but it looks like it would clash with the solid brown chair.

• Cynthia Sigafoose
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Trim is very white.White Dove is on kitchen cabinets which are open to this are.?Couch is bright white so I might prefer more contrast.ill look at the BM colors. Thank you all

• palimpsest
    2 months ago

What about a white with a very slight amount of blue pigment like Benjamin Moore Patriotic White or Sea Foam?

The blue colors will make many whites skew a bit yellow in that room.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Sherwin Williams has a color tool you can use use to pull colors from your photo.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer#/active/colors

• Emily
    2 months ago

You have a nice room. I'd suggest painting it in a soft white (maybe SW Creamy). Then I'd add some pops of color by way of pillows and some greenery so it keeps it from feeling sterile.

• Andee
    2 months ago

This is exactly the kind of question that could be answered by consulting Maria Killam's site. It is about how to identify the undertone(s) in your room, and then pick a color that will work with them. It is not an easy job (but satisfying when you "win" with your choice) but well worth the effort. These pictures don't show the room colors well. You could have the same or different overtones in your stone, rug, sofa, and chair fabric. And you already have color in your cabinet and chair fabric. A "white" could work, but which one? You will need to sample several.

• Cynthia Sigafoose
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

Right now you have a white furniture side of the room and a blue side... it might be the light but it looks like you have dark glass vases on the left shelves as well. I would swap the chairs to spread the color out. I would also try grouping some of the glass and maybe storing some to swap out later. I would not line them up. Pops of yellow and gold would look great in the room. A bigger rug would help too.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

I’d sample SW Drift of Mist.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

IMO take the TV off the FP and hang it on the wall above the blue credenza then think about wall color # mismatche dchairs are at least 2 too many . At least you had actual stuff that is nie to display on the shelves so good on you. I think a new rug and take the chairs awy for now get the new rug then decid which 2 chairs you want in the space any chance of getting a matching chir to the one by the credenza, Then a nice a bit more colorful rug withsome blue in it and some other color to use for accent like yellow maybe . Wall color after thi=ose changes are made could be just a nice white that works with the new sofa

• Emily
    2 months ago

I think Patricia’s suggestion to move the tv to over the console is a good one. Then above the fireplace you could add a print that is more vertical than horizontal.