Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srp218

room layout help!

SP215
last month

Hi! Transitioning my three year old into a new bedroom. We are using the dresser, rug, bed, and keeping the wall color pictured. We plan to do a superhero themed room. Of course I know I need a ton of wall art, curtains, etc… I wanted to get feedback on the layout of where the bed and dresser is. Does that look okay or do you have a better recommendation? Trying to get a lot of “play space” in the room as possible. The room is rather small 10x13. Feedback for decorations is also appreciated. Thanks! Please ignore the mess/bins/chaos it’s a work in progress. He’s not currently in there right now.

Comments (15)

• freedomplace1
    last month
    last modified: last month

Please get rid of the grey walls. Give your child a fighting chance. I think he’s a boy - so why not a light blue. Or a sage green. Or a yellow gold. Or a white.

He’s 3 years old. I would not have the bed in that spot where he can easily climb up to the window. I would move it over a bit so that it is centered between the two windows. He is 3 years old and he also doesn’t need a designer production... Just let him have a comfortable bed and nice bedding and hang his artwork up on the walls - that’s it.

• SP215
    Original Author
    last month

The room is a light blue….

• freedomplace1
    last month

I apologize. It looks grey on my screen. Blue is good. I’m so sorry. I’m on grey overload!

• vinmarks
    last month

I would look at Fathead wall decals. They make super hero decals. Easy to put up and easy to take down and move.

• la_la Girl
    last month

^ agree with putting a nightstand in the corner and getting the bed off the wall and adding a cozy lamp for nice lighting - I love curtain panels in a bedroom bc I think it can soften it a bit, and removing the big TV would go a long way - both Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel have kids lines with superhero themes (some fun options for bedding)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

You're making us read minds as to what is where and what size

Do a drawing with all the walls , windows, entry door, closet doors and note feet and inches for all.

The concept of "play space" for a toddler is nice - it rarely works in reality. Kids play near mommy. Books? Great - especially at nap time.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

IMO this is the perfect time to teach a child to put things back when finished playing . So the more nice open storgae where he can take pride in displaying his things the better. Not the bins that are clsed and not attractive. I like that he has a play space I would however not do any permanent wall decor so decals are awesome since there much right now but as I said a great time to teach keeping his stuff in the right place . I love my kids and my grandkids but they did not need to take over my home his fave toys, colors and theme will change often over the next few years. I usually do bedding in the theme of the year and that wall color will change I promise so next time a real neutral would be best. I had 3 boys and the best thing we did was a huge cork board for pics and just stuff right noe a blackbord will be great for drawing. My self I would never do a TV in a childs room but that is me. I do not like dressers that can have the drawers pulled out and used for climbing so all of that storage I would do with closet organizers and for a boy that system usually works forever . That give you space for some nice shelving well twhered to the wall for his toys and nice open bins so he can see where to put things.So super hero bedding and maybe a big floor cushion n a colr from the bedding and you are in business. I think he will probably not play in there as much right now but great to bring out stuff and put it back

• SP215
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Patricia! Yes right now that room is a bit of a dumping ground of storage. He’s not in there yet. I just needed input on how the bed and dresser is placed. I agree with the open storage. Looking to get some ikea pieces and will decorate. Just mainly concerned with layout before I start any of that. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month
    last modified: last month

Having the bed in the corner makes for one less side a 3 year old can fall or roll off. Looks like it could be turned 90 degrees so as not to be directly under a window.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Draw it and measure. Doors and windows all.

note the dimensions on the dresser as well.It's the best way to get real help

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Post a drawing as a jpeg, please. Bold and legible : ) all the doors, windows. entry, and note the dimensions on dresser as well.

• Denise Marchand
    last month

I love designing kids' rooms! And they grow up so fast! Super Hero is the way to go. I have realized that having play zones works best for kids, no matter how old they are. Consider the following:

Move the bed to where the dresser is located now with two small nightstands and wall sconces for lighting. Over the bed wall is where a super hero mural can be integrated into the headboard. Have a desk on the wall between the entrance door and closet with the tv mounted above.

Move the dresser in the center of the far wall under the window and a 30" bookcase to the right of the dresser. The bookcase can be ceiling to floor or just dresser height, but it seems there's always toys that get rotated, so a tall bookcase will be appreciated.

In the far left corner consider constructing a simple play tower. I did one for my son and he loved it. The great bonus was when his friends were over, they played in the tower and not on his bed. (yuck!)

Continuing towards the bed, install a white board or chalk board about 18" high and a tack strip under the board to pin art, pictures, stuff. A beanbag is a must.

You will be amazed how the upper tower is for super hero play and the bottom is perfect for reading and fairy lights.

BTW that is a beautiful rug. Who is the manufacturer?

Quick sketch of play tower / dresser / bookcse / window wall

^ ^ ^ Good behind the entry door for when your child gets bigger

v v v Mural for behind bed integrated with headboard

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1197844808/superhero-wallpaper-peel-and-stick-boys?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ps-e-home_and_living-home_decor-wall_decor-wallpaper&utm_custom1=k_Cj0KCQjw-r-vBhC-ARIsAGgUO2BicRAhcYjSYncLxsSLdQppaxJgLyZnfpy6sg7v2OQu00no_J4BDr4aAugaEALw_wcB_k&utm_content=go_12567675501_120800546578_507300277862_pla-307501513431_c__1197844808_14319281&utm_custom2=12567675501&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-r-vBhC-ARIsAGgUO2BicRAhcYjSYncLxsSLdQppaxJgLyZnfpy6sg7v2OQu00no_J4BDr4aAugaEALw_wcB

• SP215
    Original Author
    last month

Omg Denise!!!! I love love love what you created! That’s amazing!!!! What did you use to create a layout like that?.. as much as I love your layout I don’t think it would work in this small room 🥺.

So crazy me, i am about to deliver a new baby any moment. I Just went crazy with nesting these last few days and threw this together for my son- who turns three tomorrow!. I decorated it for his birthday today incase I do go into labor. This is what I ended up coming up with on short notice.

• SP215
    Original Author
    last month

Also, the rug is from Wayfair. It’s called the “ayjah geometric rug” by wade logan