Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buildnw

Any one have a kitchen with 2cm quartz?

buildnw
last month

Debaating on 2cm frost white quartz. Anyone have it in their house?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

In a kitchen? No.

Use 3 cm. If you want to use it in a bath, or a utility space? Different thing.

buildnw thanked JAN MOYER
  • chispa
    last month

Think of all the house you have been in ... did you even notice if the slabs used were 2 cm or 3 cm. I am going to bet that 99.9% of people never notice or care.

buildnw thanked chispa
  • chispa
    last month
    last modified: last month

I also owned 2 homes in MA, but never remodeled, built or visited slab yards in that state, and I can't even guess if the slabs in those houses were 2 cm or 3 cm! Sure, based on what I know now about slabs and fabrication, I can probably analyze some old photos and make an informed guess.

Have to love the "pros" that just make a random statement/rule with nothing to explain it or back it up!

buildnw thanked chispa
  • HU-121436380
    last month

Jan has a point. it’s a question of scale. With heavy cabinetry the 2 cm can LOOK flimsy without a mitred edge.

buildnw thanked HU-121436380
  • lharpie
    last month

We have 2cm dekton no mitered edge. i like the look. i don’t love thick mitered edges and don’t want anything that will chip. we have simple shaker cabs though.

buildnw thanked lharpie
  • HU-910663146
    last month

My cooktop requires a 3 cm countertop for a flush installation. 2 cm is ok for surface mount installation

buildnw thanked HU-910663146
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Three cm looks far better, is also stronger. Two cm is fine as a backsplash, and even in a bath or laundry. No, I wouldn't use it in a kitchen.

It's not a "rule", you can do what you like. .........If I didn't explain it, I gave her the best uses for 2 cm, which actually does explain it. But here you GO. You wouldn't notice? Bet me you would: )

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"First, let's define the difference between the two thicknesses. 3cm (or 1 1/4") is the standard thickness for kitchen countertops, while 2cm (or 3/4") is typically used for vertical applications like backsplashes, bathroom vanities, and custom edge profiles.

The main advantage of 3cm is that it's thicker, which makes it stronger and more durable. It's less likely to crack or chip and can withstand the weight of heavy appliances or kitchenware. It also offers more edge profile options and provides a more substantial look and feel to your countertops.

2cm, on the other hand, is less expensive and lighter, making it easier to install. It's also a great option for vertical applications, as it's easier to cut and work with in those situations.

However, 2cm may not be as strong as 3cm and is more susceptible to damage from heavy objects or impact. It also offers fewer edge profile options, which may limit your design choices"

buildnw thanked JAN MOYER
  • chispa
    last month

As I said my 2cm Taj Mahal quartzite counters had the same functionality and durability as my current 3cm Taj Mahal quartzite counters. Believe me, the price for 2cm wasn't less expensive in CA.

The main reason for the difference in offerings is that it is an expensive material to ship, so out on the west coast they get the lighter 2cm slabs.

Plenty of edge options with 2cm slabs when using good fabricators.

You have a bias, and that is fine, but the difference is really due to what is available in that particular geographic location and not because one is better than the other.

buildnw thanked chispa
  • HU-910663146
    last month

Raise your hand if someone has ever climbed on your countertop. What thickness would you prefer then?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last month

Top thickness has nothing to do with chipping.

• chispa
    last month

If installed properly, it doesn't make a difference if you stand on 2cm or 3cm counters.

I stood on a stepladder on top of my 2cm island island counter several times. Since it was installed properly there were no issues.

Bottom line is that many people don't get a choice between 2cm or 3cm slabs. They have to buy whatever is sold locally and either option will work just fine in a kitchen.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last month

I think 2cm looks really good on modern kitchens w/ slab doors or with inset cabinet. I don't like it as much if you have barstool overhang. I've seen it done w/ overhang...just not sure if I like it yet. Maybe it needs to grow on me.

Just make sure your cabinet installer shims up the base cabinets so the tops are at 36" off floor....this is crucial for range and dishwasher fit. May need to get a taller toekick board to finish off the toe area.

There are articles and forum posts about this already....google:

-Thin countertops

-Skinny countertops

-Ultra thin countertops

-2cm thick countertop trend

• Mary Elizabeth
    28 days ago

I love the look of 2cm! But there is so much good information here! Questions I never would have thought to ask!