Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debra_meise

Dining room built in

Debra Meise
last month

Looking for ideas for my dining room. We currently are undergoing a kitchen remodel. I’d like to do away with my china hutches. Floor to ceiling is 92 inches. Width on sides of window is 30 inches on each side . Underneath window is 77 3/4 inches long and from baseboard to floor is 32 3/4 inches

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Post a pic of the whole space showing both china hutches. IM just remove what you don't want but I need to see all of this witout all the clutter too. Poat here in comments DO NOT start another post.

Debra Meise thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last month

Per what Patricia Colwell said - remove the clutter and any pieces of furniture that you don't plan on using. Then post more photos of the space. It looks like you will wind up with essentially a blank canvas. Would suggest that you begin collecting photos for inspiration. Would also suggest that you think about all the functions this room will have. Will it be for dining only or will it also be used as a workspace for crafts, childrens homework, etc.

Debra Meise thanked Norwood Architects
  • kandrewspa
    last month

It's not clear to me whether you want to remove the china hutches and replace them, or leave the space empty. If you want to replace them, use the kitchen cabinets you're installing as the jumping off point. Not that I'm suggesting you put more kitchen cabinets in your dining room, but you could have the same style in a different color. Are you taking down the wall between the kitchen and dining room? I assume the clutter is in the dining room because of the kitchen remodel. We still need more pictures (include the kitchen) and a better idea of what you're trying to achieve. If you want new cabinets in the dining room it will be best to order them at the same time as the kitchen cabinets as some vendors have minimum order quantity requirements. If you don't need to order new cabinets, wait until the kitchen is done before thinking too much about the dining room. You can start compiling an Ideabook in Houzz of pictures of dining rooms you like. You're going to need a new light fixture. :-)

Debra Meise thanked kandrewspa
  • everybody's mom
    last month

Is she talking about built in China cabinets on either side of the window and a bench under the window?
    That could look nice.

Debra Meise thanked everybody's mom
  • Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

Yes I want to buy kitchen cabinets and make custom cabinets on side of the window. Yes I need a new light fixture. Up for ideas

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

Our kitchen is currently under construction that’s why there is such a mess

• shirlpp
    last month

Please show more pics of the dining room. It might be best to have a buffet on the wall rather than built in china hutches - right at the window.

Debra Meise thanked shirlpp
  • Kendrah
    last month

Sounds like you want to use kitchen cabinets instead of your hutches. Do you want them on both sides of the window? Do you want them to have uppers and lowers with counter space or have them take up the entire height floor to ceiling?

Do you need buffet or serving space in here? Do you use this space for any other purposes? Any need for a window seat between the new cabinets? Any need to run an entire back of cabinets and countertop along this wall with uppers or no uppers for a ton of serving space?

Can you show pics of the whole room and how it leads to the kitchen?

Debra Meise thanked Kendrah
  • Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

Sure I’ll add pics

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

The door leads to kitchen.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    last month

I want to do away with this big hutch and the small ones beside window now. Not looking for countertop

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

This is one of the hutches I want to replace

• Design Fan
    29 days ago

What are the dimensions of the dining room and your dining table?

Do you plan to use chairs at each end of the table?

Are you planning to add a built-in bench under the window for dining table seating? The window height is probably not right for it.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I don’t want to add a seat. I think I’d like built in cabinets in each side. My dining room opens to the living room so I can extend table if needed into living room area. My dining room is 12 ft long by 10 ft wide. My dining table is 40 inches wide and 58 inches long

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    29 days ago

I’d like to put a chair on each end

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Ok. I’ll wait until I have the kitchen done before proceeding with the dining room. There is such a mess right now. It’s hard to visualize anything

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    25 days ago

What do you think of these two choices in place of where big hutch is now

• shirlpp
    24 days ago

Do you need the top piece? IMO artwork on top would look nice.

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    24 days ago

What do you think of these two choices in place of where big hutch is now

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Yes it would. I have lots of walls in this room. It’s connected to the living room

• PRO
    lisedv
    23 days ago

Instead of placing your built-in along the wall narrowing the room how about placing your built-in around the window with a roman shade on the window and decor on the buffet section, something like this...

• Debra Meise
    Original Author
    12 days ago

What type of material should I use for countertop ? I kind of like the wood look