Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyctus

How should I fix the closet?

tracyctus
10 years ago
I bought new closet from Ikea and tried to put it into my closet... Unfortunately, the current door will block the closet and the drawer won't be be able to pull out. (Please refer to the picture from ikea as below) Should I replace the door with sliding door? If yes, the highest standard door is only as high as the ikea closet and there would be gap from ceiling. What should I do? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• fuzinav
    10 years ago
    You could probably mask any ceiling gap with molding which could frame the whole opening. Regular double doors are nice looking if you have the floor space for them to open into.
  • tracyctus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I won't have floor space for regular doors...:( how would molding work though? The gap is not big but it's there....
  • Mari O'Connor
    10 years ago
    I am lazier than lazy can be so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Since you have gone to the trouble of purchasing the IKEA unit and put it together, and get it in your closet (a LOT of work, no doubt) I would be inclined to keep the IKEA unit. I would keep the doors that you have (again, it's that lazy, and cheap, thing that I have going on) and tweak the IKEA unit. You might have to drill some extra holes but perhaps you could have the center unit use all of the drawers that you purchased, with shelving above it. The right unit would be your main hanging unit and the far left unit, partially blocked by the door, could be for hanging long items, maybe a shelf near the top for storage or out of season clothing perhaps, or a laundry hamper on the bottom and hanging above that. I'd make it work. But then again, I'm lazy and would be so angry at myself for having put together that big IKEA unit. it will be a bear to dismantle and return. So I'd learn to live with it. You might also consider unhooking the closet door (typically the door should have a peg that fits in at the top and bottom that you can disconnect) that is blocking the drawers at the top, making that door more of a full-swing door, and place clothes that you don't need very often on the left side. (I'd be inclined to make the center unit of the IKEA photo the one that would be placed by the partially blocking door since the two outside sections, in the IKEA photo, look like the most useful pieces). Good luck!!!!
  • Rawketgrl
    10 years ago
    I would put up curtains.
  • tracyctus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for the great suggestions!! Due to limited space and I might not be able to drill extra holes and adjust the center unit for the drawer. The wall between two closets block the space, which make it impossible to move IKEA unit further away from the blocked door....
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    I would just not use the drawers on the far left side and just keep that a cubby. It appears you could still use the drawers in second section from the left.
  • tracyctus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Judy.However, for my right side closet, I bought two big frame instead of smaller one, which means I won't be able to put in any drawers:(
  • PRO
    CLOSET ENVY INC.
    10 years ago
    I worked on a project like this once with an interior designer. The customer really wanted to use their existing ikea units, but they were not ideal for the same reasons you have. Which is any I was brought in - To design something more functional. In the end we ended up removing the doors to the closet, the customer then bought the matching IKEA doors to cover the units. We then went in afterwards and took MDF and filled in all the gaps on the side and top to make it look totally built in. It had to be painted to match, but it was a slick set up.
  • tracyctus
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all great ideas. Replacing the door requires lot of work as well as filling the gap with molding, etc. If I would go that far, I may need to tore down the wall between two closets too due to current door setting. I prefer my place to be more functional... Can I just remove the door and make it all open and Leave the gap?
  • nf3333
    9 years ago
    Mike liked
  • Patricia Crawford
    9 years ago
    ikea sells panel curtains. they could be attached to the ceiling or wall. they can be measured to fit the opening and are quite affordable and come in several designs. i have elfa shelves in my kids rooms without doors. im contemplating the panels as they don't take space and are flexible.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 years ago
    OUTDATED POSTING OVER A YEAR OLD