Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noelle91

Acceptable or Not

noelle91
10 years ago
Hello, I had quartzite counter tops installed and halfway through the job we noticed a crack in the right hand corner of the sink that runs all the way through to the bottom of the stone. The installers knew of the crack and I suppose they were hoping we'd never notice. The company at first was going to replace the entire piece but then offered us a minor discount and an extension to our warranty. They said as re polishing the stone and filling if necessary that it wouldn't even be noticeable and it's highly unlikely that it will ever cause any future problems. I'm not sure if I should accept their offer scared of making a huge mistake as this counter was a huge expense for our family or if I should demand it be replaced. So this why I'm turning to you all because I just don't know if I should accept their offer and hope for no future problems. Thank you!

Comments (25)

• dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Agree...it looks terrible right now.
    noelle91 thanked dclostboy
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    These are definitely cracks due to improper installation.
    noelle91 thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    It might be fine, but I don't think you as the consumer should accept that risk. I would ask for a replacement.
    noelle91 thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • PRO
    Georgette Marise Interiors
    10 years ago
    Unacceptable
    noelle91 thanked Georgette Marise Interiors
  • Angie Brinkman
    10 years ago
    Agreed, unacceptable!
    noelle91 thanked Angie Brinkman
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Found this on the web. It seems cracks can be repaired very successfully. Besides the discount and extended warranty, would the company warranty the repair itself? Then, it might be worth it.

"If a slab does crack it can be repaired. These cracks are usually the result of the substructure being to weak. If a slab bows or collapses on one end, the whole piece may be compromised. Often, the bowing is not even visible to the naked eye, but it could be enough to make the quartz buckle or crack. After the substructure is repaired a professional installer can basically glue the countertop pieces back together. Then, the installer will hide the crack with precision painting and gluing."
    noelle91 thanked JudyG Designs
  • Ramona
    10 years ago
    Given that they tried to pass it off, I would not trust them. I certainly wouldn't want to have to worry if a repair would reappear. Quartz is more expensive than granite, and they should absorb the cost if they installed it incorrectly, or if they didn't and just tried to pass it off.
    noelle91 thanked Ramona
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    My motto is " if you crack it, you pay for it." Have them come back and replace or repair. The repair should look good as new. I hate to see these kinds of mess ups. If a company sells a product, need to stand behind it. Shame on them for trying to pass it off.
    noelle91 thanked grobby
  • PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    10 years ago
    I would have them come back out and fix it (If they can epoxy it and make it look goo)or replace it!!!!!
    noelle91 thanked Ruebl Builders LLC
  • PRO
    Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
    10 years ago
    If the seller's problem of making it broken, they should give you a dis account of original price. But if the buyer can not like the goods & can not accept this way, they should fix it or replace it on the basis of negotiation.
    noelle91 thanked Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
  • bungalowmo
    10 years ago
    Unacceptable. I'd demand a new counter top.
    noelle91 thanked bungalowmo
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    It can be fixed by a good installer. Should not accept this sloppy work.
    noelle91 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    If you paid good money, you should get good quality. Period
    noelle91 thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Unacceptable for sure!
    noelle91 thanked Michael Lee, Inc
  • ridgefielder
    10 years ago
    I would demand a new counter top!!!! It looks terrible.
    noelle91 thanked ridgefielder
  • despinach
    10 years ago
    I would demand a new one too and insist on getting a new one and not this one repaired... I would probably deny to give this one back until I get my new one (just to be sure that I actually get a NEW one!!).
    noelle91 thanked despinach
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    We are penny pitchers, so we are willing to work with contractors who make honest mistakes, but your contract for job is now voided...now we need to rethink about the price
    noelle91 thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    One must remember perfection is only available at a very high price and would replacing it create more problems. Any contractor knows when its time to cut his loses and walk away. Be reasonable and let the contractor do the necessary repairs and pay him a fair slightly reduced price.
    noelle91 thanked User
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I agree with MS Colours. But I would insist that they warranty the repair so that if the crack does reappear, they will either fix it satisfactorily or replace it.
    noelle91 thanked groveraxle
  • noelle91
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for weighing in on my dilemma. Sorry for responding so late due to holidays. The stone was broken and repaired in shop and then brought to my home without them informing us of the issue. At time of purchase there were 3 identical slabs on site we had used almost 2 full slabs as it was a fairly large job at 72 sq feet. After reading your comments, hearing their offer of an insulting $350 discount and another 1 year extension to the warranty only on that cracked area.. I had decided to demand a new piece be installed since there was more material for them to use. They responded with "Not a problem". I'm just hoping nothing else goes wrong with the new piece or during the removal of the damaged piece. Each and every comment that you all left really made it clear for us to make the right decision. Thank you and happy holidays!
  • industrialing
    10 years ago
    RAH!
    noelle91 thanked industrialing
  • PRO
    INTERIORS BY MARLA
    10 years ago
    Good!! Needs to be replaced, especially since they did not tell you about the break in the showroom.
    noelle91 thanked INTERIORS BY MARLA
  • noelle91
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've heard quartzite is a difficult stone to work with, but seriously when did that fact become an excuse to give customers broken and repaired counter tops and think it's OK!?
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    You're right. If they are professionals, then they should deliver professional results, otherwise, you could've did it yourself and save a boat load of money. I'm very passionate about this subject because my father & me had a small business in the past and we relied upon word of mouth advertising, thus, we had to do a good job. Don't try to bs the customer. They are the ones paying you so you in turn can pay your bills