Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_campbell4581353

Help! Bringing living room together.

Sarah Campbell
10 years ago
My husband and I are just starting to put together our living room. He built us an end table and coffee table and is working on a media stand. I was tasked with picking colors for them and am having serious trouble with it. I tried a honey stain from minwax but hate how it came out. I think the color is way too close to the color of our couches and also don't really like the look in the grain. Can anyone suggest either a good paint color or a stain color (I can strip and start from scratch if necessary)?

Also any decor suggestions would be welcomed. I'm a big fan of the coastal/cottage look. We love the idea of using browns, teals, and maybe greens but aren't really sure where to start with it. I can take more pictures of the room if necessary.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)

• hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Part of your problem with the stain color is that the type of wood determines the ultimate color of the finished product. If it's too dark, I would analyze the stain colors, and go with something a shade or two lighter. If you aren't happy with the one table, by all means strip it and start over. BTW, your husband did a very nice job on the tables. My husband has built me several tables including a large dining room table so I know it's not as easy as it looks.

As for decorating your room, find some large pictures or photos of things you like with the colors you want in the room to hang over the couch, and in other parts of the room. I would go with a large wood frame with a colored matt to really make it stand out.

Find a bright large area rug to go under the edge of your sofa. Get something with visual interest to add a layer of personality to the room. If you don't have curtains, find some panel curtains with the colors you want in them to brighten up the room, and don't forget that a few good sized houseplants in colorful pots help charm to a home.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Given that you are a big fan of the coastal/cottage look, I would paint/stain the tables white, add some teal accents (such as pillows, lamps, etc.) and purchase a large work of ocean-themed art that ties it all together. Some faux coral on the end tables would look great, too. Such as these from Z Gallerie: http://www.zgallerie.com/p-10092-faux-coral.aspx
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    This work of art, which is also from Z Gallerie, would be beautiful above your sofa (and it comes in a set of two): http://www.zgallerie.com/p-14752-coastal-currents-1.aspx
  • Sarah Campbell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the painting and the coral, both are awesome!

My initial thought was white also but, I wasn't sure if it would look strange next to the dark brown in the sofa. I think I'm leaning against a stain because I don't like the way the would grain looks. We probably should have test stringed a piece before building the tables.
  • Sarah Campbell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We bought these two old windows and were planning on putting large family photos in them, kind of like the below picture. I'm having some second thoughts though.
  • Sarah Campbell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Windows would go above the couch.
  • Bree Palmer
    10 years ago
    For your stain I would go with a darker espresso colour. Adding to it I would paint your walls something soft and warm like a light sand colour. I think those window frames are beautiful !! It would look really good above the couch you need something on that wall! It will really add to the rustic/coastal look you are going for then accent with teal pillows and accessories :)
  • Sarah Campbell
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We kind of do, we have wedding photos that were taken on a river. I was thinking about using two of those. I agree though, that wall really needs some love.

I really want to paint but it's an open concept and connects to our dining room and hall which isn't a big deal, sand is neutral. It would just be a HUGE job. The living room also slopes from an 8' ceiling to 15' so that would add to it. Right now it's painted Behr's chocolate froth (previous owners picked it). I don't like it but I'm trying to justify the work. Lol. Would it be worth changing?