Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martyjones

Counter depth refrigerator

martyjones
10 years ago
I'm finding it hard to find a French door refrigerator that's counter depth. Need stainless steel with freezer on bottom. If I go with one that's not counter depth sticks out from the counter about 5 inches. But it seems that this doesn't bother most people. Should I stick with counter depth.

I found the perfect refrigerator in all regards except that now it's too tall! Anyone have ideas to help?

Comments (70)

• krzewskiwj
    10 years ago
    We have GE Cafe appliances with counter depth French door bottom freezer and it is very streamline and fits perfectly Love them.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I have a stainless French door refrig by Kitchen aid. Stay with counter depth. They are out there. Just smaller than the others.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Sorry just noticed this post is from Jan. Did you find something.?
  • ambynair
    9 years ago
    @martjones, how is the LG working out for you ? I am in market for counter depth , i need to fit in 24inch (depth) X 42 w X 77 h. im leaning towards LFX25991ST
  • Kellee
    9 years ago
    Floor plan not drawn to scale space in front of fridge is quite narrow. I don't think I can get away with French doors but absolutely need counter depth. Any good ideas about side by side stainless steel counter depth options?
  • joelcoqui
    9 years ago
    May as well jump on this bandwagon.. My situation is I can go counter depth. Also because fridge will go against the wall and it's going to hit the molding of the backdoor entrance. I can go very tall but my Width can only be 31 wide and I prefer a bottom freezer drawer not door in stainless. So I guess the cubic footage would be under 20. Any suggestions?. I don't want to spend $2000 for it either. Thanks all.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    We bought our stainless Jennair counter depth, French door, freezer on the bottom refrigerator as a floor model at a great discount. Twenty cubic feet of storage is plenty for us. I found that items on the back of the shelf in a previous standard depth refrigerator only got lost anyway. The water dispenser is on the inside which I think looks a lot better. We are very happy with it both functionally and esthetically.
  • joelcoqui
    9 years ago
    yes, but im sure its over 2K
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Actually not. We were lucky to find a floor model for much less than that. But I guess that doesn't happen often.
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    9 years ago
    samsung 4 door...cabinet depth..bottom freezer...flex zone drawer...french doors..fabulous!
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    9 years ago
    for narrow....Samsung, Fischer & Paykel
  • caroleppk
    9 years ago
    You must not be looking in the right places. All the manufacturers now make a french door counter depth frig -- LG, Kitchenaid, GE, Fridgedaire, etc. Check them out on google! I just bought an LG for my new, remodeled kitchen and love it!
  • User
    9 years ago
    I'm happy with my KitchenAid Architect series french door counter depth. It's plenty roomy and looks great. Counter depths are pricey compared to regular.
  • PRO
    Anew Kitchen and Bath Design Experience
    9 years ago
    This is an old post so http://www.houzz.com/user/housebunny has probably long since solved the problem. I'll chime in though. I believe housebunny was concerned about the fridge sticking out past the counter. The fact is that counter depth means that the case will be behind the counter, not the gasket or the door. There are some of the higher end lines such as Sub Zero that make an integral fridge to get the door to line up flush with the cabinetry. Someone mentioned that they needed the fridge to go against the wall. Most all manufacturers mention in their specs. the proper distance needed to open the doors and drawer. An industry basic standard is 3" but I've seen them at 9" to 18". You want the pull outs on the inside to come all the way out for cleaning. Most manufacturers counter depth refrigerators require 25" or more. 24" is a standard base cabinet size but they want you to recess the electrical outlet and water supply. We always build out our cabinets around the fridge to at least 26". That way all the water and electrical work, the fridge (case) is flush with the cabinetry and the counter dies into the cabinet without sticking out.
  • Dana Groulx
    9 years ago
    I'm making this same decision and have looked at many options. I want an ice maker in the bottom freezer of a french door counter depth. Water dispenser can be outside or inside. LED lighting is a must have. I like the Viking/Bosch/kitchen Aid/Jenn Aire fridge (same fridge, different handles) because it is 72" and will fill the space. But, the first fridge I looked at and loved was the Electrolux Wave Touch with ice in the door and an ice maker below in the freezer. It also has an ice cream compartment.

I have an upright freezer in the garage for food, so I don't care about room in the freezer. I also have a fridge in the garage for soda and beer. After dealing with (and hating) a side by side the last few years of renting, I know I want a french door. I don't really like the LG or Samsung, plus there is a problem getting things from China with the port situation.

Anyone with any of the above want to chime in? I need to decide this week.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am looking an fridges right now,,yesterday as I was getting ready for my daughter's party, the fridge decided to fail on me (a Kitchenaid french doors, bottom freezer that I've had for about 7 years). I read a bit about the new fridges and from what I read, Electrolux is not doing too well when it comes to reliability. A friend of mine has one and she is not happy with it,,the water/ice dispenser stopped working soon after they bought it, plus other problems,,they had to have it fixed at least once and they didn't have it for a long time. I don't know much about Samsung fridges,,I know their washing machine is not doing well. The LG seems to receive good ratings. Best Buy has them and probably Lowe's as well. They should have them in stock so you don't have to wait for the imports to come. Jenn Aire also seems to be a good one (from what I read). Hopefully others come with new info. I am interested in this also since I expect my fridge to fail at some point again (it came back to life overnight)

• oigetit
    9 years ago

It will! At the worst possible moment! We had the same situation with ours - a Maytag that was great - but only for 9 years. It started failing around Thanksgiving- then revived, failed and revived again - but with a house full of family - it went terminal on Christmas Day. Don't wait!!

• printesa
    9 years ago

I'm sure it will fail. Which fridge did you buy? I am trying to find something that will last for some time

• Dana Groulx
    9 years ago
    We decided on the GE Cafe. It has the LED lighting that I like, plus both hot and cold water dispensers, and a flat front which I prefer to curved. The price is good at $2,600. In the fall, they will have a Keurig attachment to the hot water dispenser, but I need a fridge now. Maybe it will be possible to retrofit it. I'd love the extra counter space with no coffee maker.
  • printesa
    9 years ago

I was looking at the GE Cafe..not sure what didn't work for me, but I'll keep on reading:) Not a fan of Keurig, sorry:( I tried their coffee when I was visiting a friend's vacation home. I guess I am used to my espresso at home:) Pampered, I know:)
    Let us know how the fridge is doing.

• Dana Groulx
    9 years ago
    There are many companies that make K-Cups. I love the Barista Italian Roast. Very flavorful.
  • Dana Groulx
    9 years ago
    I love the LED lighting on the GE Cafe. Will report back on any problems.
  • oigetit
    9 years ago

Printesa - we haven't gotten one yet! We've been out of town and this fridge is for a second house (which is not very usable now without a refrigerator.) Am exploring the option of having a carpenter (who is going to do some other work for us) slightly raise and also widen the space we have available which is very small - it's a 50 year old house. we definitely want to go with counter depth to reduce the cluttered look. My only problem is that at this point in our lives the bottom freezer is no longer very convenient for me - and the freezer takes up so much space which I would rather have for refrigeration space. but that's the way it is now, I think.

• printesa
    9 years ago

I understand you perfectly. If I could find a fridge with a small freezer, I would get it. We don't really use the freezer. Also, from what I read, the bottom freezer fridges seem to have more problems..Not sure of anything anymore,,the more I read, the fewer options seem to be there:)

• Gail Wojciechowski
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have had an LG French Door Counter Depth for about 8 to 9 years now with no problem. Freezer is on the bottom, but for me that is ideal since I've had 5 back surgeries with two fusions. I would rather not have to bend to get to the fridge part which I go into often versus the amount of time I have to access the freezer. My older fridge with the freezer on top is in the garage for extras when I need to have extra room. That only happens when I have a lot of company. Usually it is used to keep extra drinks like ice tea and drinks my grandchildren like. I hated that one since I had to bend to get to the fridge part and it was killing my back. My ice maker and water are inside so the front is completely flat. I love the look of it and like I mentioned I've never had a problem. When I open one side of the two doors the other stays closed. My neighbor's French Door which I'm not sure of the make doesn't like hers because she said when she opens the doors both have to open and it hits her in the back. I'm not sure if I am explaining it correctly as I have not seen it do what she describes to me. Hope this helps and good luck.

• 231beth
    8 years ago

Am in process of remodeling entire kitchen. Cabinetry, countertops and appliances installed. However, the swing of both doors to my counter depth refrigerator hit the corner edges of the countertops on each side. To "fix" the problem, the contractor pulled out the refrigerator about two inches (which I did not like) but the doors still hit the edge of the countertop and now the sides of the refrigerator are exposed. The contractor's response is that "some mgr/models work pushed back but have seen many situations where the frig is pulled out for air space or door swings. That is the true 'counter depth' fit. If only the manufacturers would finish the sides in the same color it would look better. But I think it's still the way to go to allow full access to the refrigerator and not rusk damaging the doors. Or only being able to open the doors 90 degrees." Since I still do not have full 100% door swing, the unit will have to be pulled out more. Am I the only one who believes that some measurements were incorrectly applied when boxing in the refrigerator?? Thanks, bw

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

Probably were not incorrect measurements. Did you buy the refrigerator and supply everyone with the model # and the specs before anything was built or did you select and purchase the refrigerator through the contractor? I have seen some counter depth refrigerators (Frigidaire particularly) that indicates there needs to be 21" of clear space on either side of the frig and the depth of the countertops on either side can only be X (can't remember for sure what X was) in order for the doors to open fully and be able to remove the bins inside of the frig. Unfortunately, the only way to solve the issue is to pull the frig out to provide clearance. You can go back to the full installation specs on your particular model and see what they say, but the horse is already out of the barn at this point. Even with counter depth models, the full door and the hinge must extend out beyond whatever is on either side in order to operate.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

we replaced a regular fridge with a counter depth. an inch of grey side does show, but the doors open and turn back 180 degrees. it doesnt go back any further (just tried).

• 231beth
    8 years ago

Printout of specs for all appliances were given to contractor prior to complete demo of kitchen so he could start with a clean slate. I am just surprised (and unhappy) that there is still an issue with a full swing, AND that I lost a few inches between the refrigerator and island. Tks

• joelcoqui
    8 years ago

You just got the incorrect fridge. all hinge openings are different. I ended up with a Summit with is a tall skinnier unit that fits right in.

• dawnk47
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

any feedback on the best refrigerator brand? Bosch or Miele? any suggestions?

• dawnk47
    8 years ago

anyone have reviews on bosch refrigerator ?? we decided not to get all matching and try to find the best brand for each appliance....any suggestions or reviews would be greatly appreciated!!

Dishwasher - Miele

Cooktop - Wolf

Refrigerator - ?? bosch? we would love sub-zero although $10k is over our budget for fridge

Oven - ??

• anoop
    8 years ago

I had recently ordered the Bosch counter depth french door fridge. It was very well made, but it showed fingerprints too easily. I ended up returning it because it made a high-pitched whine which bothered me. Most people on the forums said it's normal, but since it bothered me I returned it. I am now looking at the Liebherr CS1200. The only fridges that are really good quality are the built-ins but my kitchen won't accommodate that without significant cabinet work...coupled with the price of those, I'd rather get something small and simple. I don't need more than about 5 cu ft of refrigeration (I'm single and don't keep leftovers) and almost never use a freezer.

• Dana Groulx
    8 years ago

I'm happy with my GE Cafe, so far. It has nice LED lighting and I've gotten addicted to the precise fill water option for cooking. If I need 1.5 cups of water for a recipe, I no longer have to judge with my eyes.

• htc2015
    8 years ago

I started a thread but then saw this discussion has been recently active. Welcome your thoughts on these 2 or others. Been searching for a reliable, quiet, good value French door refrigerator. Do not need ice and water dispensers, want a flat front. I do want it to be as flush to the cabinet as possible. Can't afford built in but want close to the look if possible.

1. Electrolux model EI23BC30KS, for $2100.
    2. Frigidaire model FGHG2366PF, for $920 including a 5 year all inclusive warranty (parts, labor, food spoilage). The Frigidaire was a special order which was returned for a ding on the side, has no other damage. The ding will be hidden by the cabinet. I do not like the Frigidaire handles but hoping either they can be switched out or I can like them if all else is equal to Electrolux EI23BC30KS

Thank you!

• anoop
    8 years ago

I really liked the look of the Electrolux and Frigidaire in the store but for some reason the store rep worked very hard to steer me away from those citing quality issues. Ultimately she said get it if you want, but just be sure to get the 5 year warranty. There are a number of reviews on ajmadison.com.

• printesa
    8 years ago

My SIL has Electroux (after having a Samsung that couldn't be fixed anymore). The Electrolux is ok, but the water dispenser doesn't work anymore, the handle is loose (can be fixed, but yet another thing to do)..

• User
    8 years ago

I love my KitchenAid counter depth that is now 20 months old. It has so much usable space in both refrigerator and freezer. Easy to clean and I've come to like the interior water dispenser. I did buy the extended warranty.

• dawnk47
    8 years ago

What is the kitchenaid fridge model? Is it architect series?

• printesa
    8 years ago

I have a kitchenAid with the interior water dispenser and it's ok. I've had it for almost 8 years Twice I had problems with it..there was ice buildup and the fan got stuck. We had to get all the perishables out and wait until the second day. Since the cooling stops, the ice will melt and the fridge will work again. Last time it happened, it happened at one of the worst possible times..before a party:) All in all it's a good fridge for the money

• PRO
    EMC Interior Design, llc
    8 years ago

Fisher & Paykel make great affordable counter-depth refrigerators.

• htc2015
    8 years ago

How is F&P with parts availability and repair? Has their buy out by Haier/China a few years back made it more challenging? Like their design but do not know anyone who has owned one. Ty!

• PRO
    EMC Interior Design, llc
    8 years ago

i've been more than satisfied with mine- I've had it for 10 years. I've never needed repairs.

• mossysophie
    8 years ago

I bought a Kitchenaid counter depth with french doors and bottom freezer

• D
    8 years ago
    I have a Samsung counter depth, loved everything about it. Now it hums, I have to slam the freezer door for it to stop for awhile. Fortunately it's a large house and I can get away fro the humming.
  • maryoroyne
    8 years ago

Hi.. lots of good info here.. I am trying to find out how far out the GE Café French door (Counter depth) freezer drawer pulls out.. to see if enough room for my galley kitchen... ? I cant find the specs on how far out it goes.. thanks

• Dana Groulx
    8 years ago

It sticks out 13" from the front of the fridge. I have an island in front of it and there is plenty of room.

• Dana Groulx
    8 years ago

• maryoroyne
    8 years ago

Dana.. thanks.. so the drawer only opens 13" ? That doesn't seem like a lot ? love your floors !

• Raoul Santiago
    6 years ago

When remodeling our kitchen, we had the cabinets above the fridge and on the sides (pantry pull out, bridge, and side panel) 26 inches deep so it will accommodate the 2in clearance behind the fridge so that it sits flush (except the doors) with those cabinets and blends in with the 24in deep cabinets and 25in depth countertop. I ordered a Samsung Counter-Depth RF23HCEDBSR but canceled it and switched to an LG LFXC24726S... it looked better with our whirlpool appliances and the ice maker is in the door instead of taking space in the fridge... and yes, buy the extended warranty... you’ll need it with Regrigerators nowadays... they don’t last when they have ice/water dispensers. I’ll post pics when the remodel is finished.