Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_heatherington

What colour can turn this bathroom into a home spa retreat?!

This is what I call a diamond in the rough. It has a beautiful heated floor, bisque coloured tub, sink, and toilet. There is some marble, a wall of windows with California shutters and skylights in the ceiling.
I want to create a soft spa feel. The two sample colours I brought home are on the board in the picture. They are BM seashell and BM Sea Foam. I am not crazy about either.

Can anyone help me polish this room up?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    10 years ago
    If you like color suggest SW Ebbtide which is a relaxing blue turquoise. Or a lighter shade on the same color strip.
  • Brendammmwgmnge Heatherington
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I went to a gray/blue would the colour be too dead?
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    10 years ago
    My sister in law has gray-blue in some rooms and looks nice. We have SW Ebbtide in our den and bath, looks great with white trim. I wouldn't want blue-gray in our bath because it comes across too drab in our small bath. Ebbtide makes our bath pop.
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 years ago
    Here are some mock ups using greens, lavenders, blues & teals.
  • tesscat13
    10 years ago
    I would paint same shade as tile/granite to make it feel not so chopped up as there is a lot going on. Pick up spa feeling with accent coloring in towels, accessories, art.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    What do you think of this color?
    Scenic Drive 697 Paint - Benjamin Moore · More Info

Or something along the gray lines?
    Nantucket Gray HC-111 Paint · More Info

Or
    Bennington Gray HC-82 Paint · More Info

This BM color might blend in the best with your current tile so you can accent as tesscat13 mentions
    Shaker Beige HC-45 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    I think you can get that spa look with the BM Nantucket Gray and a lot of white in trim color, towels and accessories- see inspiration pic below. Hover to expand photos, click on the photo name for details
    Ravenna Bathroom · More Info

Have you considered painting the cabinets gray?

Here is the same concept in Shaker Beige (which hopefully would blend with the tile)
    Traditional Bathroom · More Info
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Funny, my husband and I had just come to the realization that we are not soft, pale blue kind of people and that we should maybe try and get something that is closer to the tile colour.
    I like the Shaker beige suggestion. Before you suggested that one, I was looking at colours from HC-169 through 173. Any thoughts on these possibilities?
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Here is HC-169 through 173. Remember they are going to look different in your room depending upon the available light. So you probably want to get samples and paint a large swatch to see how it works in your bath.
    Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Coventry Gray HC-169 · More Info

Stonington Gray HC-170 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Wickham Gray HC-171 · More Info

Revere Pewter HC-172 Paint · More Info

Edgecomb Gray HC-173 Paint · More Info

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but you have to see how it works with your tile in your bathroom and with the light you have. Make sure you have the actual light (sunlight and light from fixtures) you are going to keep when you test the colors. When I was looking for a neutral for you before, I was going to post Edgecomb for you but I didn't know if you wanted to head in that direction. :)
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think we are definitely on the right track now! I will try and narrow it down to two favourite choices based on the tiles and then get some samples to paint a larger area. Thank you for your help. I will post the end result with towels, accessories and art in place!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    In your photos the glass block looks like a rusty color…is it?

Definitely choose new knobs for the vanity.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to see the end result :) Have fun!
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The glass blocks are definitely clear. I looked at the picture and they do look a bit rust colour. That is the dark rust wall that is reflecting....it too is going!
    My husband might have an issue with changing the knobs as he brought them back from England but I will certainly entertain the idea.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Whoops, sorry about the knob suggestion. Keep them by all means.

Have you looked at BM Bali for a blue? It is one of my favorites.
    Historical Colonial in Pasadena · More Info
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOL! Will probably keep the knobs...but will add Bali to my paint colour options. Thanks.