Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valerieroman

valerieroman
12 years ago
My ceiling has a small drop. Currently cabinets are 24 inches deep I want them about 18 inches deep but not sure the ceiling will look okay. I would like to make a larger island so we can use as a table. Can you help me design peninsula that will work in my kithen the space is 122" X 122"

Comments (32)

• valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    First off, your upper cabinets are 12" deep - 18" deep wall cabinets are non-standard because they are too deep (unless you mean over the refrigerator, which is the one place that a 24" deep cabinet makes sense - You can have this framed out, sheetrocked and crown moulding added easily)

Secondly - your island is the size it is because you need space to move around all 4 sides - 42" is the minimum clearance with appliances. If it were larger, it would be too tight and opening ovens, dishwashers and refrigerators would be uncomfortable. Unless you want to eliminate the island and have a peninsula configuration instead, this is about as wide as an island can get for your space.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you. But I actually measured the big cabinet and it is 25 inches from the wall to the door deep. I was thinking about removing the island and down further in the kitchen and putting a peninsula. Just afraid of spending all the money and then hating the look.
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    Do you mean your pantry cabinet is 24" deep? Yes, that's pretty standard.
    If you had an 18" deep unit installed, then you could still have the soffit adjusted w/ framing, sheetrock and moulding - But of course you'll lose some valuable storage,,,
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I realize that I would loose space with the cabinet. But the peninsula would give me a bit more storage. I am just afraid to make a $50,000 investment and not like it.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    If you went with a counter-depth refrigerator the kitchen would look and feel larger right away. From what I'm seeing, you don't particularly need to adjust the pantry cabinet in order to have a peninsula. How much distance is there between the outside kitchen wall (behind the dishwasher) and the front of the pantry? I do think you'd be happier without the island; it seems to intersect the work triangle.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hello Hilltop... This is so overwhelming to me. I worry that your right and it is a big mistake what I want to do. The island is small for me and I want to rid the table so I thought a peninsula would be a good idea. In order to make it larger I would have to move it down the kitchen so it is in fron of the pantry which is 25 inches deep. I wanted to reduce them to an 18 inch deep which would allow me to open the peninsula up a bit more then make it a circle or oval for the table use. The width of the room is 150 cabinets on both side are 25 inches deep acutally to the front of the door it is almost 26 inches. If I start the penisula abotu 8 inches between the cabinets they there is a slider and with the cabinets downsized to 18 inches I would have 132 for the peninsula to sit. Just not sure if it would look right.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    I need to clarify a few things.

You said you want to get rid of your table. Are you saying you want to use the peninsula countertop as a breakfast bar instead of the table? I'm not sure I understand all you want to do.

How much space is there between the edge of the sink cabinet and the edge of the sliding door? (Is that what you meant - "slider?")

Are you thinking you'll redo all the cabinets and countertops, or will you be able to get more of the same cabinets you have?

I think that if you do a peninsula the pantry will end up outside main kitchen work area. That's not a disaster unless you think it is. The pantry doors do enter the walk-through into the kitchen, but that 7" you'll gain be reducing the depth of the pantry would help that. I'm thinking the peninsula would end up about 58" long (plus the 25" depth of the wall cabinets now installed).
  • sh ca
    12 years ago
    I think it would be a mistake (for resale) to permanently put in a peninsula and completely eliminate the space for a kitchen table. I also want to make sure you know that you are going to have to replace your floor if you remove your island because there will be holes drilled through the tile where it used to be. It also looks like you have electric there, also so there will be a large hole in the floor where the wires run through.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Yes, removing the island making a peninsula would mean I would have to change floors. Acutally this is how the project started. I am changning all flooring to Engineered wood floors. I really like to cook and use the heck out of the island but it is in the triangle of work.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    The replacement of my floors and cabinets are in the neighborhood of $40,000.00. With the horrible economy and my uncertainty of the look I keep procrasting.
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    I think you're kitchen look beautiful. My advice: keep on procrastinating......
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    When you said, "open the peninsula up a bit more then make it a circle or oval for the table use," were you meaning something like this? (Only in the peninsula, not island as it is here)

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/crembrulee/?action=view&current=view.jpg
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I cliked those links and nothing came up more like the ones i am attaching.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    My kitchen table is 52 inches round so it is small but there is very little room to pull out your chairs so I thought this would give it a bit more room.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    The photos on my links were similar.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I just took these so you can see how tight it is. If i took the island and moved it closer to the dining area then It would open up my cooking traingle cuz more than two people in there is really tight too. Bring it out and make a table so I still have counter to work on. I tell you I am still planning dont' have any thing for certain so I appreciate comments
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    OH yes I like those and that is what I am talking about thank you.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    Can you take a photo from the other end of the room, looking towards the kitchen? That would help with perspective in the area you're thinking about putting the peninsula. I'm particularly interested in the table area, slider you mentioned, and the end of the countertop right there.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Where the center of the picture you sent is that space is wasted in my kitchen so I think now I am leaning more toward your picture thank you
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Not sure which direction you were talking about so I sent some new ones
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    Were you, and are you still, thinking about bringing the peninsula out at an angle so the rounded table-like part is located in front of the sliders?
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Not sure I do want it thinner next to the cabinets. Do you do this kind of work?
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I have lived here going on thirteen years and need to change my carpet and want to go engineered wood and that has snowballed in to redoing the kitchen also.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    I don't do this for a living but have done kitchen layouts for myself and others in the past. If you only want to have more space for the table & chairs, I don't think you need to move your island to accomplish that. I don't think you'll get a good return on investment from redoing your kitchen because it is in good shape and not a bad overall layout. The island does infringe on the work triangle some, but not enough to warrant new cabinets and countertops.

I love the island in the photos I sent but I don't think you'll come out ahead to do it in an effort to replace your table. Not only will you save money on redoing the kitchen, but you will also keep the eat-in area, which is a resale asset.

If there is anything in the kitchen that might effect a good change, it would be to change to a counter-depth refrigerator so it doesn't stick out into the workspace. I would also consider having one of the base cabinets modified so it has a trash-can pullout instead of a door. That way your trash can isn't visible and you have a smooth look.

Once you change to engineered wood flooring all the way through from kitchen to seating area, you will have more flexibility in the way you arrange the seating. If you can pull the seating toward the fireplace just a bit, it will give the table area more space and make it more usable. If the fan doesn't line up with the table in the revised arrangement, I would change it to a chandelier and swag it over so it centers over the table - but if you don't redo the kitchen you will be dollars ahead and could even have the fan moved over if you love it and want it centered over the table.

That's my two cents worth now that I've looked over the whole room. Hope it isn't disappointing. I think you probably had the same sense of this and that's probably why you were procrastinating. Best wishes, whatever you decide to do.
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I would love to bring the cabinets over the refrigerator but I have a sofitt and plus my frig is 34 inches deep. Thank you fo you
  • valerieroman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your help a few years ago. I did it! I think it turned out great. Now I am working on the adjacent den. Note the light fixtures above the counter are brushed nickle. I would like to put in a light fixture that is

More gold tone. Do you think that is okay?

• valerieroman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• valerieroman
    Original Author
    7 years ago