Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsandiford

Need Decorating Ideas for this Dining / Living and Laundry Area

Olivia Sandiford
10 years ago
Help! The place is newly built and we are in the process of decorating. The walls are painted a pale mint green with a dark peach accent wall. We want to go with a Caribbean Villa style/theme. Grateful for all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments (28)

• hnhouser
    10 years ago
    I would find long curtain panels for all three windows - so, 6 in all. I'm not sure what Caribbean style would be, but maybe a print that you love? You might consider hanging them up close to the ceiling, and making sure they are long enough to reach the floor. I'd buy some large tropical plants - maybe a majesty palm? I would consider finding a rug you love, but maybe not under the table if you have small kids. (no kids - go for the rug!). It's sort of difficult to find fabrics to match wall colors. You might need to start by finding a fabric for the curtain panels (they'd be pretty easy to sew yourself, if you have a machine), and choose paint colors from the fabric (but maybe a couple shades paler than what's in the fabric)
    Olivia Sandiford thanked hnhouser
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Is the laundry area open to the living dining area?
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    Its so light and refreshing! I think that I would add a table runner to the table, and also add some wall art. Here are a few ideas:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/woven-fiber-table-runner/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/tree-life-single-wall-sconces/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/whitewash-birdcage-shelf-and-bird-top/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/whitewash-wood-finish-bird-finials-set-2/ (these might look nice on a mantel or on the table)
    Olivia Sandiford thanked Warner Decor
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @edithsmom, yes it is open to the living area
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Warner Decor- Love the Bird Finials... but where could I put them?
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    So the essence is soft white walls, dark timber, generous floaty white sheer linen curtains, large palms and tropical indoor plants, natural textures, windows and doors to the outside with louvers or shutters and a splash of colour - teal, turquoise or coral.
    You can have a fabulous room here.
    Make every thing simple, uncluttered but larger scale eg curtains to ceiling, one large plant.
    You laundry looks lonely and needs cupboards.
    Olivia Sandiford thanked anniau
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I'd want to camouflage the laundry area first. Can the ironing board be stored out of site and a pony wall installed to separate and hide the machines from the living area's view?
    Olivia Sandiford thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste Hi.. What is a pony wall?
  • Carol Johnson
    10 years ago
    A pony wall is a partial height wall, maybe 40" or so for your purpose. The suggestion would be to have it be built out from the wall your ironing board is on too hide the laundry machines. It does require construction. If you're not inclined to construct a wall, maybe a free standing divider would do the same thing?
    Olivia Sandiford thanked Carol Johnson
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    My thoughts in picture form ... I don't want to add a lot of words, except to say that I think the dining chairs should be reupholstered and the colour top right might work (a darker version of the wall colour) in a linen fabric. Dark bamboo blinds combined with your existing sheers -- ties in with your dark furniture. Glass, texture. As much greenery as you can handle, including one large plant. Lattice. And that gorgeous picture (sorry I cropped some off), I can't imagine anything more perfect, is by Lucy Arnold and available as a print.

http://www.lucyarnold.com/Paradise.htm

Can't really see your sofa, but I'd put two huge, comfy, light cushions on it rather than a bunch of small, neat ones.

(Thanks for this one, I had fun in dreamland.)
    Olivia Sandiford thanked Rina
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Love the teal and coral suggestions by Margo and the ideaboard from Rina, especially the print featured. Changing out the curtains as suggested will make a huge difference in the room. Hiding the utility area either with a permanent structure (pony wall) or free standing divider will go a long way too. You have a lovely room, just a few touches will make it the Caribbean paradise you are seeking. :)
    Olivia Sandiford thanked Denita
  • Dreacorator
    10 years ago
    If you don't find your inspiration pics on houzz, try looking up websites for luxury hotels in Turks and Caicos, USVI, etc. and look at the suites! "The Regent Palms" was lovely when we stayed. Btw, instead of fans, I would chose chandeliers, either with drum shade or without, and extend your curtain rods much higher. I might even do a full wall with linen drapes and then sheers over windows.
    Olivia Sandiford thanked Dreacorator
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    any comments on the current curtain rods?
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I think they're lovely. And I think that ideally the pretty finials should be as you have them, only on the two windows, not on the door. I agree that you should raise them. You might think about putting blinds on the door, depending how the rest of the room goes, but for the meanwhile I would paint out the wood brackets in the same colour as the wall, so they don't draw attention away from the pretty finials.

A small point -- it may be the pic, but your cream switch and wall plug look a bit grungy against the mint wall. I think you should swop them for white.
    Olivia Sandiford thanked Rina
  • anniau
    10 years ago
    The curtain rods look perfect to me. Just a little higher.
    Olivia Sandiford thanked anniau
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Hi, this looks like it will be a fun house! You haven't mentioned your budget or specific needs but here's a few ideas for a small budget. I thought this neat rug for your dining area might be a jumping off point? It's indoor outdoor so would be kid friendly if that's a concern.
    Reupholstering the chair seats in a dark coral color or turquoise in the rug would tie them together.
    If you're in a climate that needs both those ceiling fans, you could paint the blades white and possibly change out the globes if needed. I've done that before and it was easy.
    For the laundry area, perhaps ceiling hung gauzy curtains would be sufficient camouflage? Probably all the pros here are gasping in horror, but it might be cheaper than building a wall, plus give you a beachy feel? Flexible ceiling track could simulate 2 walls. Just thoughts. Have fun with it!
    Olivia Sandiford thanked rocketjcat
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of the pony wall for the laundry area and I also like the idea of the curtain. I am wondering how I could combine them without looking tacky. Maybe long curtains to run across the side with the iron board and then the pony wall coming across in front of the washer and dryer. If so, should I use a white or linen curtain against the wall or should I use a mint color curtain to blend in with the wall?
  • newman1958
    10 years ago
    Try picking out peach color drapes. The room color is light enough to add cloud and privacy to the rooms.
    Olivia Sandiford thanked newman1958
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    What room is to the left of the washer/dryer. Can you post a pic standing by them looking that way?
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @rocketjcat... the kitchen is to the left........... i'll post a pic
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Nice kitchen, and I like the 2 tones of the cabinets. So if you're standing in the kitchen, you're looking at the side of the washer? Were you placing the W/D there to incorporate them into the kitchen area? Do you have a little floor plan or sketch of the areas? If we could see a layout I think the pony wall question will be easier to answer by the fantastic pros on this site.
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't have a floor plan, but there area is pretty much open, with the dining room and kitchen on the left and separated by a counter and then the laundry and living room on the right. The kitchen is separated from the laundry by a wall which is painted dark peach and the fridge is against that wall. On the other side of the peach wall is the lonely plant.
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Ok I think I've got it, thanks to the lonely plant! So when you're standing at your stove and looking toward your refrigerator, there's a opening on its left through which you can see the side of the washer. Right? If thats so, and you don't mind that view, but just want to block it from the living room, then I agree with the pony wall concept, if you're looking for a more permanent ($) solution than the curtains. I think I would make the pony wall tall... Maybe 60-72" to completely block the contents from the living room. If you put it far enough away from the W/D, you could have some cabinets with a countertop for laundry and other cleaning supplies. You'll need to figure out how much space you've got to work with there. Keeping the laundry space open with this short wall will let a lot of natural light in from the other rooms.
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the idea rocketjcat. If the pony wall is built high enough, we could also take the ironing board off the wall and install a pull out mechanism instead... and also have space for cleaners etc. Love it, love it, love it... now my task is to convince the other half... ;)
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    The added bonus of a wall is that you get to use both sides. Maybe that will help convince him.

http://houzz.com/photos/479209
    http://houzz.com/photos/205664
    http://houzz.com/photos/3756673
    http://houzz.com/photos/1994522
  • Olivia Sandiford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    my head is spinning with these ideas. I love the shelving in Eastern Point Vista and I like the television and artwork on the pony wall in Adrienne DeRosa... A similar wall would transform our entire area.

We are changing the sectional to white. We are also getting two lamps.. not decided yet on floor or table or what color lamp shade.. (grateful for suggestions).. and putting in some palms. Looking also at changing the tv stand to wood and mounting the flat screen on the wall. A nice server table in place of the "lonely plant" with hurricane candle holders or a charger plate and a painting or mirror above it. Also trying to decide where we could incorporate a starburst clock.