Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r1018

Rachel Rau
12 years ago
I thought it was a big no-no to mix finishes.... Oil rubbed bronze, polished nickel, etc? Can you shed some light on that topic?
Master Bath Retreat · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Holzman Interiors, Inc.
    12 years ago
    I do believe in a very cool, spa like bathroom all the finishes should be the same. It creates the gentle tranquility that is commanded in this arena. But, if you are looking for a more traditional look, the Victorians combined everything in the 19th century and so you can mix as they did.
  • PRO
    Matthew MacCaul Turner
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I was trained under the beliefe that all finishes in a room should match. However, tastes have changes, and as women do not wear matching sweater sets any more, designers do not match all finishes in a room. However, do not be fooled into thinking these are random choices. A good designer scrupulously weighs the benefits of various elements to come up with a harmonious result.
  • conniecl
    12 years ago
    Great design is created when your eyes flow smoothly around a room without too many stopping points. I'd keep all the hardware the same.
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    I'm thinking these *do* match, I see gold and silver mixed on all of the fixtures and towel bar. So, this example is not exactly the same as mixing entirely different finishes. Some earrings and other jewelry are gold & silver mix today. Unless you're an expert as Turner describes, better to stick to one finish or the other unless you like that patched look.
  • PRO
    Mona Ives
    12 years ago
    If you are doing it yourself, I'd recommend matching. It's very tricky to match finishes and get the right balance - most designers know how to make this look right and if you are working with a professional, trust them and be open minded. Otherwise, probably better safe than sorry.
  • Janie Riley_Kennedy
    11 years ago
    Love the mix of finishes! I've read conflicting views, but personally love to mix them up.