Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
risris

Having an existential re-upholstery crisis.

risris
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
My husband and I are newlyweds living in a small apartment. All of our furnishings are of dubious long-term quality, with the exception of four items: our leather couch, a bamboo and glass end table, an orange and brown mid-century chair (inherited), and a federal-era burled maple side chair in need of new upholstery.

Thanks to the influence of the mid-century chair, our decor has leaned towards warm, rust tones. When I acquired the federal-era chair I immediately thought that an orange tone would look nice on it as well and would tie in with our other pieces. But as time has gone on, and I have put off the upholstery job, doubts have begun to creep in. I've realized that, if the mid-century chair were in a different room and we took the pillows off the couch, all of our pieces would be pretty neutral and we could go in any color palette direction that we choose.

This federal chair is gorgeous, from the early 19th century, and I plan to keep it around forever. I feel like whatever color I pick for it will influence all future decor choices. Basically, I feel like I'm at a design crossroads. Any advice, Houzz??

Here's a link to an ideabook I made with pictures of our various furniture pieces.
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/26172571/thumbs/Work-in-Progress

[houzz=
Ours · More Info

Comments (24)

• Karen Beverly
    10 years ago
    If it were me, I would pick a fabric I loved, that had at least a little of the brown of your sofa, and either patterned or middle eastern, probably a fairly heavy woven fabric. I probably would get enough for some sofa pillows, just to help integrate the fabric into the design.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I love your tiger maple chair! It looks like an easy reupholstery job you can do yourself. I'd not stress too much, you can choose something fun and change it when you feel the need. I like the idea of a colorful print, possibly with orange and blue, in a light to mid-weight upholstery fabric. I agree to get enough for throw pillows.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    If the seat cover pops off with four screws, it'll take less than an hour to recover with a staple gun. Choose anything you like. Colorful patterns hide dirt. Inexpensive vinyl wears like iron and looks a lot like real leather. Brocades and damask weaves are classics.
  • kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    You can also get or make tie on cushion covers that can be eAsily switched and washed.
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Y'all are right, I'm probably stressing a bit too much for a seat cushion that could be changed again very easily. I just know myself - once it's done once, it will probably stay like that forever!

Merry, I was actually thinking velvet but I also like the idea of linen. I definitely want to do a solid color because I don't want to take away from/compete with the pattern in the wood grain. I like your point that the chair should be different from the other pieces in the room. Turquoise, hmm... :) Food for thought...
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    It is a beautiful old chair. Perhaps more important than the seat color, is making sure the chair is structurally sound. If it is rickety, you have two choices: Take it to a reputable furniture repair / refinishing shop to have it re-glued (NOT refinished). Or use the chair as a table and don't allow it to be sat upon. You can accomplish this by placing in an area outside the conversation zone and then placing a small stack of books on the seat. To make it even less inviting, top the stack with a beautiful object. This way you can enjoy the beauty of this piece without worrying about breaking it.
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It feels very solid to me. Should I still take it to someone to check it out? I do want to use it as seating. We don't have kids now but plan to in the near future, and I don't want anything in our house to be overly precious.
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    By the way, here's a pic of the poster we have up in the room. I'm thinking if I don't do a neutral color for the seat, I could pull a color from this.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Your furniture as so solid and the print is so colorful and lively. I saw that on the wall, that's why I chose the fabrics I posted above. I feel you need a more colorful pattern somewhere to liven the space.
    risris thanked User
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Absolutely, use the poster as inspiration! Rich blues are all the rage right now. You should find plenty of options!
    You could tell if the chair needs to be re-glued. It would wobble and feel loose.
    Love the poster, by the way!
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe I could pull in a print by changing the throw pillows on the couch. I feel like I need larger pillows anyway, something with more substance since the couch is so large.

And yes, I love pretty much all the blues in this poster, as well as the pale crisp green that traces the cross.
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Now, you're talkin'...
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    One other thought: Choose either blue or green for the chair (green would look great with the wood tones, too) and then use the other color on the wall behind the sofa. Use a strong color. Don't be afraid. It's only paint.
  • Karen Beverly
    10 years ago
    If you have a friend with a professional staple gun, see if you can borrow it. Using a regular is the pits.
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thoughts on something like this color for the chair?
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Or a little lighter/more yellow?
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    or these parsons chairs (sans pattern)?
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    The parson's chairs are the perfect tone.
    risris thanked Merry Powell Interiors
  • User
    10 years ago
    You seem to really like green, but if it were me, I'd use a blue as a compliment to the amber chair color and a tie-in to the print. I think the green with the amber of the chair is a bit pallid and uninspired.
    Society Hill Renovation · More Info
    Living Room · More Info
    risris thanked User
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Look at the first floor of the building to the right of the woman in your poster. The medium blue that is in the shadows would be a great color for the wall behind your sofa. Take your art to the paint store to get a good match. If you go with a green linen on your antique chair seat, a small vivid blue velvet pillow would be yummy with it!
    risris thanked Merry Powell Interiors
  • risris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you guys think about these indoor/outdoor velvets from Sunbrella? Not that I plan to ever take the chair outside, but to protect from stains/fading.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Of course I love the blue:) If they feel good it could be a great choice, I didn't know Sunbrella made a velvet!
  • PRO
    Merry Powell Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'd do two different textures. One of these and a linen texture would be nice.