Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruiserules

need help for finishing touches for my attic conversion

cruiserules
10 years ago
In the mist of finishing an attic conversion, and am struggling to find a color match to go with my feature wall of retro wallpaper. I want a chill ou relaxing retro area finish. Some people think I should leave the walls white as the wallpaper is so busy, but I would like to some color on the side walls and corners, leaving the large ceiling white! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, photos attached thanks audrey

Comments (30)

• njschaefer78
    10 years ago
    Wow! That wallpaper sure makes a statement! It doesn't say "relaxing chill out area" to me, but if you love it, great! What kind if furniture are you thinking? If you are planning bright color on the walls, you might consider solid white furnishings, or solid white slipcovers to help balance it all out. I'm thinking some funky lighting, too...
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    maybe this pic will give you some inspiration/ideas ;-)
    Bohemian Apartment Layered Spaces · More Info
  • catlady999
    10 years ago
    Take a sample of wallpaper to the paint dealer and get 5 or 6 quarts of paint that match your favorite colors in the paper. The paper gives you example of what goes well together. Then paint vertical stripes on the knee walls using those colors plus the white already there.

You don't need to repeat the same pattern of stripes each time. Group three or four colors together based on the units in the wall paper, then space with white. Use satin or even semi-gloss for extra pop.

Furnishings can be neutral or take colors from the paper. Grey chairs/couches with pillows and rugs taking colors from the walls offers the most diversity.

Have fun!!!
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    I think the lime green in the paper would look great on the other walls. love your paper!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you paint the sides a colour you will find it brings your walls in and makes you feel like you are in a narrow enclosure. I would keep it white. Add lots of white basics but then add accents like cushions and art work that imitate the colours of the wallpaper. This will make a far greater statement. I have also seen a fun technique where art is stuck onto the sloping ceilings https://www.houzz.com/photos/urban-loft-contemporary-family-room-phvw-vp~117799
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- How brave of you to use such a great colorful wallpaper ! I think you should keep the walls and ceiling in the all white for now . It's a vaulted space so it is always best to have the ceiling and sides all the same color. So maybe finish the space first with the furniture and so on and then I am sure it will look great once that is done . Chopping up the room with more sections of color or stripes is just going to make the room look over done .
  • PRO
    Decor Outdoor
    10 years ago
    I think you should paint the walls either vivid blue or green to match the paper. It would really make all the colors pop!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    I'm with ASV and lefty47. White is your background color against which everything bright and bold that you add will reverberate, just as those colorful forms on your wallpaper do. They would lose their impact with a colored background too.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Well said Barnhart! Agree 100%
  • User
    10 years ago
    I'm with Barnhart Gallery, too! Get bright pillows on your furniture when you get it. The room is empty now, but with brightness on your furniture, it will come to life. I love love love your wallpaper!
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    I agree with others that all remaining walls would be better white. I would like to see you keep the design sleek and simple, don't go crazy with throw pillows or accessories. Just a few pops of bright color in your furniture selections will keep the focus on the accent wall. You don't want VISUAL overload.... IKEA would be a good source to check for furnishings.
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    Some Ikea ideas!
  • cruiserules
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks you all so much for the feedback and compliments on my wallpaper.... im loving it!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    It's my understanding Baker-Miller pink is the color they paint the walls in prisons for violent offenders. It helps them chill out. Really.
    http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-the-body/drunk-tank-pink
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I would definitely do a color on the walls AND ceiling.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    I agree with catlady-- paint stripes (on the wall only) and leave plenty of white. The stripe will visually balance the rest of the room, and give the illusion of additional height too. They don't even have to be super rigid/ straight. Something like this:
    http://houzz.com/photos/106553
    When you use such a bold pattern, now is not the time to hold back-- Go big or go home!
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    I like the white walls with this wallpaper. It's a contrast, but it looks clean and modern. If you want to mellow it down, then you could paint like groveraxle suggested above. It depends on what you want to achieve and on what you like.
  • Hazel
    10 years ago
    Exciting wallpaper choice! Long and low orange couch, and other furnishings can fill in other color interests. But definitely leave the other walls white if you want to have a relaxing space, otherwise it will close in or eventually give you a headache.
  • cruiserules
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How did you fill in the colors goveraxle, that is really cool and handy way to help me see the end product as I am not great at visualising. ?..I love the lime green its been top of my list so far, I have summer season by crown in my kitchen and I think it would also look great here. However my partner is all about blue, and reckons fleetwoods buzz would look great, or a similiar vivid blue, any chance you could admend the picture to show me what blue would look like along side the wallpaer?
  • catlady999
    10 years ago
    DO NOT USE DRUNK TANK PINK FOR A ROOM!

Sorry, Groveraxle, but further down in the site you linked to it said, "Prisoners did respond and calmed down, as hoped, initially. Major goof: If they hung around too long, they became even more violent."

Some police depts. have a pink room, but are cautioned not to let anyone remain in it more than 1 hour. It's called the rebound effect. I read about this while working for a state police agency.
  • gracey999
    10 years ago
    Not a pink fan, lavendar or green or blue or orange or the striping that was mentioned earlier :) I like the green in the IKEA pics above. Either way, your wall paper is very cool for the right kind of room...like the attic :)
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    I think all the color fights with the wallpaper...if you're not into some stripes, white is the way to go!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Pool Fur-rific Hang-A-Round Chair · More Info
  • lolokz
    10 years ago
    I like the green that groveraxle painted. With slanted "walls" you don't really have a ceiling - treat every flat surface as a wall. White sofa and chairs with colorful pillows and accent pieces would make the room. Specialty chairs (like the one posted by Genevieve) or a beanbag chair, butterfly chair could be in bright colors to pick up on the colors in the feature wall. Love the feature wall.
  • PRO
    Construction Guaranteed
    10 years ago
    Need a mood light and black lighting.
  • User
    8 years ago

I wouldn't paint anything, but I would choose two favorite colors from the paper and paint something, dresser, table, chairs so that you're relating the rest of the room to the paper. You may appreciate being able to rest your eyes on a neutral wall.

• Tems
    8 years ago

I really like the crisp white for the walls and ceiling with the wallpaper. It looks measured. Even more so because the background color of the wallpaper. I would bring more color in with decor then.

• Christina M. Carboni
    8 years ago
    Christina M. Carboni
    3:16 AM
    The wall color, stripes, no stripes, your choice but check out these chairs for sale in Houzz with free shippng! Some matching colored pillows, green, blue, pick your style, this would look awesome and continue that funky retro vibe. Pictures if you do dare to go there :)