Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmnina

Replacing kitchen cabinet doors on the cheap. I need advice on how to

nmnina
10 years ago
I decided that rather than remodeling with new Kraft Maid cabinets, I would look into replacing the cabinet doors and paint the cabinets off-white. An estimate on refacing was $9,800 (ridiculous) while new cabinets and install would be approx $11,000 from Lowe. New doors, hinges, knobs and professional painting would be approx $2,200 tops.

I found cabinet door companies on the internet and couldn't believe that Maple Shaker doors for my kitchen would only cost approx $1200 plus the quiet hinges, knobs and professional paint (approx $700). Please advise on how best to paint the Shaker doors and cabinets off white and any other advice. See old brown cabinets and inspirations below.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 years ago
    The best way is to have them professionally sprayed.
    nmnina thanked FK Interior Design
  • nmnina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The other design elements would be tan or grey quartz or granite counters, stainless range hood, stove, dishwasher and fridge. A colorful backsplash would top it off.
  • PRO
    Addition Building & Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Great choice. I think the off white is really going add to your kitchen.
    nmnina thanked Addition Building & Design, Inc.
  • nmnina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi colonial - I considered painting the cabinets, but I just don't like the cathedral, arched doors.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Since you're doing counters and appliances to the tune of about 8000, do go with professional finishing if you can swing it. It'll be worth it. You can help keep costs down by doing the demo and backsplash install and any painting yourself.
    nmnina thanked User
  • nmnina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Adivra - I will hire a professional painter, but I' m getting different advice from carpenters and painters on how cabinets should be painted - brush, sprayed, latex paint, buy a sprayer and DYI etc.

Also, the cabinet makers I contacted don't trust the professional painters and advised me to buy a sprayer and DYI.

In March, I had professionals paint my ceiling and they didn't do a good job- had to come back 3 times. They had the license, truck, uniforms and equipment, but did a lousy paint job.

Yep, mid rang appliances = $3,000 and $3,500 for counters.
  • ideas90
    9 years ago
    nmsh07,
    I'm glad to hear you found a great source for replacement doors. Do you mind sharing? We are looking to replace the doors in our kitchen and haven't found a source yet.
    Here is a picture of our kitchen if you're interested. I'm not sure which colors we'll be going with. I would prefer to strip the cabinets and stain them dark, but don't want to make the kitchen too dark. We are also looking to replace the countertop with granite and likely replace the flooring.
  • nmnina
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi ideas90 - a PRO on Houzz suggested Sherr cabinets.

I think your kitchen is rather nice. The cabinet doors are good and classic. Why not paint off-white, green or blue. Check out colored cabinet photos on Houzz.

I am waiting for my grey quartz counters to be installed 7/24/14. I can't wait. I'll post photos sometime in August when everything is updated.